Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mum and Dad just bought me a 2002 Clio for £3500! Watch

ReputationRep:
    WTF my car is less millage and the same age, I got it for £800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Nope, around 60k mileage.

Apparently, that one is the only suitable one available in black anywhere near to where we live. :rolleyes:

I would rather a) not buy one, or b) get one in a 'cheaper' colour.

:mad:

Who the hell drives cars that are 7 years old ffs.
    Alot of people drive 7 year old cars. Unfortunately, unless your car is a Clio Sport with a 2.0 engine, your parents have paid a high price.

ReputationRep:

Apparently, that one is the only suitable one available in black anywhere near to where we live. :rolleyes:

Many people. Some over 10 years old - Hense the scrappage scheme.

My car's 12 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Similar thing happened to me.

My dad bought my a BMW Z4 in the wrong colour. I wanted black and I got blue. I was furious. He paid for it htough so not too bad.
    thats actually hilarious, you got a Z4 for free and your actually complaining
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well i got a 7 year old car because its my first one, i didnt want it too old, but i didnt want a really new one because of my insurance, plus if i splashed all my cash on my first car (which will maybe get knocked about a little bit though i hope not) and it was brand new, id be heartbroken if it was brand new and i banged it...though i love my car now so id still be heartbroken now!

ReputationRep:
    My heart goes out to you :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    the price seems rather excessive but plenty of people are driving cars 7-10 years old ...

ReputationRep:

(Original post by JC.)
    My car is 31 years old...
    Mine is 44 years old, and I'd certainly call it an improvement over a Ford Fiesta based Mazda

ReputationRep:
    But you wouldn't have bought it as a 'improvment' on for a P reg Mazda 121 would you?

The deposit is paid, I am selling my car ^ for £300 to the same garage, so that leaves me to stump up £3000 for a 2002 car.

Well since your previous car was a P reg I'm assuming you do? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    At least it's not on carcraft finance...
    Ahahahah. OcUK

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what Clio it is, for instance the average dealer price for an 02 reg 1.5 Dci is about £3,100. Go here and have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Question: Why are your parents buying a car with (effectively) your money, yet you don't seem to have been consulted? Why didn't you just go and buy one you liked?

ReputationRep:

I do.

I would be angry, but you've got a crap car and you're down £3000.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaahahahaha.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I payed 2700 for the same clio... get it, theyre awesome!!

ReputationRep:
    Have you told your parents? Have you actually got the car? Too late to return?

ReputationRep:
    Mine was a £3k Red 2003 VW polo 1.2l 50k miles and will have a good resale price compared to other makes in 2-3 years. I feel for you they could have done much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Have you told your parents? Have you actually got the car? Too late to return?
    The deposit has been paid, and a contract signed with the garage. lol, no going back on the agreement now. Oh well. Horrible thing is, my insurance needs to be paid this month too. I now officially have no money. :mad:

ReputationRep:

Who drives cars tht are 7 years old?!?!?!?! LMAOO thats not "old" at all, anyone who buys a brand new car is stupid because as soon as you drive it out of the showroom it will start depreciating rapidly, and you will eventually lose soo much money, so its common sense to buy an older car!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'd paid for mine on finance for the first three years, but I bought mines at 3 years old and 25k on the clock off of the dealer for 3k- Have your parents not heard of haggling??

ReputationRep:
    a bit much money but at least you got a car

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.