Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mum and Dad just bought me a 2002 Clio for £3500! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Who the hell drives cars that are 7 years old ffs.
    Students And basically people who don't feel a need to splash out on a new car every single goddamn year when there's perfectly good second hand cars out there you can get cheaply....although your parents seem to have avoided the "cheaply" bit by a mile, you should only be paying around £2000 for a 7 year old Clio with a lowish mileage...unlucky mate!

ReputationRep:
    The deposit has been paid, and a contract signed with the garage. lol, no going back on the agreement now.

Cooling off period?

They might have overpaid, but why on earth are you letting them pick the car for you, then complaining when they pick something you don't like? Why didn't you go with them?

I wouldn't dream of letting my parents spend that much of my money without being there, even if it is from a loan from the Bank of Mum and Dad. I don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Cooling off period?

They might have overpaid, but why on earth are you letting them pick the car for you, then complaining when they pick something you don't like? Why didn't you go with them?

I wouldn't dream of letting my parents spend that much of my money without being there, even if it is from a loan from the Bank of Mum and Dad. I don't understand.
    Thats what everyone is thinking:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Students that don't rely on mummy and daddy to buy them cars.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you should have got off your arse and went with them to look at cars, did some research etc..

Don't blame them if they've bought a ********.

And mileage isn't everything, i've got a '99 Micra with 125,000 on the clock, looks brand new underneath. You just need to look after it properly.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be such a snob that the car is 7 years old, my parents have one about 10 years old and to them that is shocking since they are poor and it still looks almost new, and the typical storys that some of their friends have had new cars that break down within weeks of having them and quite a few times in the first year so its not new is the best.

ReputationRep:
    Goodness me! I'm looking at an 03 Corsa with 44,000 miles for 2,000! Thats a rip off!!!!! Nothing wrong with a 2002 car- but it should be about 1800 surely with that mileage as well!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Nope, around 60k mileage.

Apparently, that one is the only suitable one available in black anywhere near to where we live. :rolleyes:

I would rather a) not buy one, or b) get one in a 'cheaper' colour.

:mad:

Uh. My Best mate drives a mini 35 series. its 14years old and its better than whatever you've got.

plus my mums car was 14 before we sold it on. Old cars actually rock

ReputationRep:
    Your parents got ripped off, poor you left paying the bill.

ReputationRep:
    Yet I have to pay for it. :mad:

FFS, 3,500 for a car thats 7 years old? What a rip-off. They think they've done me a great favour...
    Maybe not a bad price. It depends what model/extras/condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbers)
    Sounds like you should have got off your arse and went with them to look at cars, did some research etc..

Don't blame them if they've bought a ********.

And mileage isn't everything, i've got a '99 Micra with 125,000 on the clock, looks brand new underneath. You just need to look after it properly.
    High 5, i got a micra x reg

ReputationRep:
    My Mazda 121 only costs £330 per year to insure with the Post Office. Presumably the Clio will be the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    Maybe not a bad price. It depends what model/extras/condition.
    It is in extremely good condition, and was owned by a lady before me. It had a personalised number plate, although that's been reverted back to normal now I've bought it.

I had only saved £3700, so now I am skint, awaiting my student loan to top me up a bit. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Woah!

That's bad.. I sold my 2007 Grande Punto for £4,000. That's a car with warranty left and only had 18,000 miles on it for £500 more than a 2002 car with bugger all warranty and triple the milage.

Lol they got owned.

ReputationRep:
    Fleeced :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I would literally piss my pants if someone offered me £3500 for my 51 plate 1.5 5 door diesel Clio.
    Then I would laugh my way to the bank.

I don't know who is more stupid, your parents for buying a car that's worth about £1500 less than what they paid for it, or you for letting them go car shopping instead of you doing it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Yet I have to pay for it. :mad:

FFS, 3,500 for a car thats 7 years old? What a rip-off. They think they've done me a great favour...
    There are two things in life you absolutely never ever let youre parents choose for you, women and car's.

How much mileage does the clio have?
    also what engine is it?

I paid £2,000 for my first car, Pug 106 1.1, it was 4 and a half years old but only had around 25,000 miles and was in perfect condition, FSH as well, seem's damn steep for a clio of that age.

ReputationRep:
    But if you look on AutoTrader, there are no used clios (2003-) for less than around 2,800, not for the type I'm after (1.2l, less than 70k mileage). etc.

My mum has paid a £200 deposit and signed some paperwork, BUT I THINK I am going to tell her in the morning that I simply don't want it.

It means I will have to pay her £200 (to reimburse the deposit) and make her phone up the garage for me too to say I want to cancel. I wonder if the garage will get all angry on her?

ReputationRep:
    If you didnt trade in your old car im pretty sure the garage would have given it to yo for £3000 anyway. They dont really want your trade in.

But anyway why would your parents buy it for a crap price, without consulting with you and then make you pay for it?!

ReputationRep:
    Buying a car is an important decision. How could you possibly leave it up to your parents if you weren't confident in them buying one you'd like? I'd leave my car choice up to my dad because he likes expensive and fast ones.

Oh, when the salesman sold that car to your parents, was he wearing a **** Turpin mask and holding a knife. They got robbed son.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.