Mum and Dad just bought me a 2002 Clio for £3500! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    a bit much money but at least you got a car
    He already had a car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    He already had a car
    well the original post doesn't say that, so how was i meant to know?

ReputationRep:
    that's a poit. if you havent picked it up yet, just cancel? might loose the £200 but hey saves loosing a few grand, lesson learnt.

dealers are crooks anyway, I put a deposit on a car only to have it be sold anyway :laugh: good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    But if you look on AutoTrader, there are no used clios (2003-) for less than around 2,800, not for the type I'm after (1.2l, less than 70k mileage). etc.

My mum has paid a £200 deposit and signed some paperwork, BUT I THINK I am going to tell her in the morning that I simply don't want it.

It means I will have to pay her £200 (to reimburse the deposit) and make her phone up the garage for me too to say I want to cancel. I wonder if the garage will get all angry on her?
    You moron! There's still time. Pay the £200, that's a much smaller lesson than getting a **** car that you've paid WAAAYYYY too much for! Cancel it.

The garage won't be pleased because they couldn't believe their luck when your folks walked in without braincells. But they'll get over it with your £200. Why do you care if the garage is angry anyway?

ReputationRep:
    But if you look on AutoTrader, there are no used clios (2003-) for less than around 2,800, not for the type I'm after (1.2l, less than 70k mileage). etc.

My mum has paid a £200 deposit and signed some paperwork, BUT I THINK I am going to tell her in the morning that I simply don't want it.

It means I will have to pay her £200 (to reimburse the deposit) and make her phone up the garage for me too to say I want to cancel. I wonder if the garage will get all angry on her?
    Did she put down the deposit without consulting with you at all..? - or is there something you are not telling us. Otherwise she shouldn't have been so stupid and you should not have to pay her.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you do this! try and find a bargin in the future to re-coup the cost of the deposit!

if they are willing to lend you 3.5k then why dont you take it and find it yourself instead of just complaining?!

most odd.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, my mum said I'm not allowed to change my mind now. :rolleyes:

But I forced her to pay for £1000 of it. Next time, maybe she will be more careful when selecting cars for me. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, my mum said I'm not allowed to change my mind now. :rolleyes:

But I forced her to pay for £1000 of it. Next time, maybe she will be more careful when selecting cars for me. :mad:
    your mum says you're not allowed to spend your own money. you're a grown lad, act like it! :laugh:

take your own £3300, shop for your OWN car, buy it with your own money.. I don't get the problem here..

simples.

ReputationRep:
    My sympathies. I used to have a Renault Megane and it was a moving ****-heap.

It was the old shape not the one with the big bum so it looked quite sporty being a 3 door but inside bits just fell off. I will never buy a French Car ever again.

ReputationRep:
    What does he want us to do about it. The clever thing to do would be to cancel it NOW!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to communication skills of a gnat?

Anyway, that aside, if its the car you want, its the car you want. I was well aware i was being ripped off when I bought my current car this time last year - £2.5k for a 2000/X-reg fiesta with 85k miles. But after having test drives in about 50 cars that weekend, I kept going back to the fiesta and signed my life away to it. I've since almost part ex'd it twice in the last 3 months, and on both occasions, couldnt bear to part with it! Even though it did just cost me £400 to get through the MOT, I still love it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.