Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gatso Speed Camera - New Driver - Help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There were lines. My passenger didn't see a flash either. I'm maybe going to be getting a sat-nav with safety camera alerts on it for my 18th birthday in September so I'll have that plugged in and on at all times when I get it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tips but I'll stick to the right side of the law. I'm sure that deliberately making your car untraceable is against the law. Though I had seen that product before. Less than a week until I can relax now... Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Relax, you'd have seen the flash, plus you may not have been going fast enough to get a ticket anyway. 3/4 your safe i'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I passed my test at the end of April this year (did Pass Plus in late June) and I'm not one for speeding, but I'm very scared of going through speed cameras with the new driver's act (and my dad being a driving examiner - he'd kill me if I got caught speeding).

I was out with the two bikes on the bike rack on the car. Me and my friend were trying to find somewhere to eat after cycling and I was driving in an unfamiliar area and made a wrong turn that would take me into Glasgow, where I didn't want to go. So I turned off the road onto a 30mph dual carriageway which was down a reasonably steep hill. I was looking for a road on the right to turn round in and not really looking at the signage at the left hand side of the road. The car was doing little (maybe 5mph) over 30mph and my friend said to me "speed camera" so I put the brakes on. I'm not sure I got the speed down to below 30mph before it and it was a bright day and the interior mirror was obscured by the bike rack - and I was watching the speedometer. My worry is this: if it had flashed, would I have noticed the flash?
    With it being my dad's car (me as a named driver) I believe I have a 6 month wait to be in the clear over this. Assuming the worst happens and I have been flashed - can I go on the speed awareness course? I can't afford points on my license at all. If I can, how do set about going on the course?

I've never done anything like this before and it was bad luck that I was even in the area. What do you guys recommend I do?
    Woop

ReputationRep:
    The speedo on the car I drive is roughly 10% wrong at all speeds and I think it's pretty typical in it's wrongness. So you'd find that 33 on the speedo is actually 30 in reality. Combine that with the supposed allowance from the camera of 10% +1 (no idea if that is true though) and you'd have to be doing 37-38mph to get flashed.

ReputationRep:
    give the speeding ticket to your dad as a present IMO

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.