Basically, my situation is this: I have a firm offer for Durham University for Physics this October. I'm looking forward to it and have been getting quite exited recently, as y'know, I've been looking forward to university for so long. I'm not sure I want to put it off.
However, I yesterday was offered a YINI placement with DSTL, which also looks very exciting, although I'd have to move away without the relative safety (not in a literal sense) of halls. Not to mention the obvious benefits to my CV, the pay, the experience, etc.
So really I want to do both, and although I know I'll get my four years at uni if I wait just a year longer, I don't know what Durham's response will be if I do the YINI. I might be able to get a deferred offer, I have no idea of the likelihood of that, but if not and I have to reapply I'd be risking a place I'm very happy with, although I would also be able to reapply to Oxford.
So I'm asking you, people who don't know me or anything about my situation beyond these three small paragraphs, to tell me what to do. Is that not the very spirit of the internet?
Is it too late to apply for YINI vacancies?
where is the DSTL placement based - not Sevenoaks by any chance?