Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my situation is this: I have a firm offer for Durham University for Physics this October. I'm looking forward to it and have been getting quite exited recently, as y'know, I've been looking forward to university for so long. I'm not sure I want to put it off.

However, I yesterday was offered a YINI placement with DSTL, which also looks very exciting, although I'd have to move away without the relative safety (not in a literal sense) of halls. Not to mention the obvious benefits to my CV, the pay, the experience, etc.

So really I want to do both, and although I know I'll get my four years at uni if I wait just a year longer, I don't know what Durham's response will be if I do the YINI. I might be able to get a deferred offer, I have no idea of the likelihood of that, but if not and I have to reapply I'd be risking a place I'm very happy with, although I would also be able to reapply to Oxford.

So I'm asking you, people who don't know me or anything about my situation beyond these three small paragraphs, to tell me what to do. Is that not the very spirit of the internet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    So I'm asking you, people who don't know me or anything about my situation beyond these three small paragraphs, to tell me what to do. Is that not the very spirit of the internet?
    Congratulations on both offers. I'd definitely recommend the Year in Industry - you won't miss out on anything.

Hopefully Dstl can offer you some help finding accommodation - try and find out if they're taking on anyone else and share with them - it can be a bit weird living with random professionals. You'll pick up a lot of new skills by living out, not just the ones from work, and they'll probably come in useful while at uni.

Durham are very likely to respond positively and let you defer. If you plan to reapply next year, the probably won't have doubts in offering you an unconditional offer next year if your grades match. Either way, get in contact with the Admissions Tutor as soon as possible to let them know (and perhaps ask their thoughts about reapplying to Oxbridge).

You'll be excited again this time next year. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late to apply for YINI vacancies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syzygy7)
    Is it too late to apply for YINI vacancies?
    Kind of - I think a lot of the companies have already done their recruitment and I imagine this year probably didn't have as many places as usual. That said, there might be people that have pulled out, or companies that have only just signed on.

I don't really know, but it's worth sending a quick email to see what they recommend, at least.

ReputationRep:
    where is the DSTL placement based - not Sevenoaks by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ole 2)
    where is the DSTL placement based - not Sevenoaks by any chance?
    Yep, it is indeed. Are you going/have been there?

It's looking like I'm going to take it, and Durham have no problems with me either deferring or reapplying so I'm fairly happy with the situation at the moment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.