Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been depressed for at least 7 years Watch

I'm never going to get better, I have no friends, I've just turned 21 and did nothing, I have scars all over my arms so I'll never get a job, my dreams I had are all impossible now, I don't see the point anymore.

ReputationRep:
    If you need to speak to someone it may be worth contacting the samaritans, as they are better placed to listen and attempt to help them we are. http://www.samaritans.org/ - contact information.

Have you seen your GP about the problems, or seen a counsellor, as this is the best plan for you, if you are scared of going dont be they are very understanding and will do their upmost to help. I think at this time it may be the best option for yourself, if you have already seen your GP go back and see them again, no one should feel like this.

I'm sorry, I feel much the same. Please go and see a doctor? Your dreams aren't impossible, you can turn things around.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered talking through your problems with someone properly trained, such as the Samaritans, they can give you the professional advise and comfort you need. :hugs:

http://www.samaritans.org/ You could even just send them an email if you'd prefer this.

You should really think about talking to a professional. If you are not yet ready for this and need a listening ear, please send me a PM if you want. I used to self harm myself and still struggle with it today. You can and you will get better, you just have to believe you will and that is the hardest first step. I haven't done for over a year now and my life has really improved, so can yours. :console:

ReputationRep:
    Probably not a good idea to whine about it on here.

None of us are qualified to help you.

Here is something to cheer you up!

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/co...ePants-p35.jpg

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    If you need to speak to someone it may be worth contacting the samaritans, as they are better placed to listen and attempt to help them we are. http://www.samaritans.org/ - contact information.

Have you seen your GP about the problems, or seen a counsellor, as this is the best plan for you, if you are scared of going dont be they are very understanding and will do their upmost to help. I think at this time it may be the best option for yourself, if you have already seen your GP go back and see them again, no one should feel like this.
    I'm seeing a psychiatrist, I'm doped up to my eyeballs on antidepressants and other meds, but it's all for nothing. I really don't see the point if I'm never going to get better or achieve what I wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm seeing a psychiatrist, I'm doped up to my eyeballs on antidepressants and other meds, but it's all for nothing. I really don't see the point if I'm never going to get better or achieve what I wanted to.
    Have you talked to your psychiatrist about things not working for you, if you dont tell them about how things are going they cant change treatment of modify it in someway to try and get it to work more effectively.

I think the best thing is to not lose faith, it is easy to give up, but you need to try and keep at it. I know that sounds silly when you have been having problems for 7 years, but honestly there is a possible end to this somewhere down the line.

I feel reasonably similar, as, even though I'm only 16, I can't recall a single lengthy period of happiness in the last 5 years. Sorry that this is completely unhelpful

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the point if I'm never going to get better or achieve what I wanted to.

Like i said, the hardest thing is believing you can get better. If you refuse to believe you can, then it is very hard mentally to recover but still very possible. There are plenty of people in the world who feel how you do and many of them do recover. You will achieve what you want if you put the effort into it.

I feel reasonably similar, as, even though I'm only 16, I can't recall a single lengthy period of happiness in the last 5 years. Sorry that this is completely unhelpful
    Then the same goes for you. Get some help for yourself now you recognize there's problems as you will feel so much better in the long run and you know deep down you want that.

I'm sorry, I feel much the same. Please go and see a doctor? Your dreams aren't impossible, you can turn things around.
    No I can't trust me. I did a lot of stupid **** when I was 15 as a result, and a result of the scars all over my arms I'll never get where I wanted to.

I'm sorry to hear you feel the same too

ReputationRep:

This is the best advice you'll get. Its not too late to sort out this problem, maybe call the samaritans first then try and see your gp when your able to.
    Don't worry about the scars the won't prevent you getting a job, and if you want you could always wear a long sleeved shirt.

ReputationRep:
    No I can't trust me. I did a lot of stupid **** when I was 15 as a result, and a result of the scars all over my arms I'll never get where I wanted to.
    I have scars too but it doesn't mean that should hold you back from getting the best out of life, you deserve to be happy just like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    If your dreams are impossible, change them.

Have you talked to your psychiatrist about things not working for you, if you dont tell them about how things are going they cant change treatment of modify it in someway to try and get it to work more effectively.

I think the best thing is to not lose faith, it is easy to give up, but you need to try and keep at it. I know that sounds silly when you have been having problems for 7 years, but honestly there is a possible end to this somewhere down the line.
    I will talk to my psychiatrist before I do anything but tbh what difference can she make? She jsut gives me different pills, she can't help me make friends or get better. The problems started at infant school, they just got worse and worse when I say 7 years that's how long I've been self harming for, that's what takes the piss, I don't remember being happy ever or having friends or doing normal **** everyone else does. Why would things change after all this time?

Sorry that sounds a bit aggressive, it's not meant to. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I will talk to my psychiatrist before I do anything but tbh what difference can she make? She jsut gives me different pills, she can't help me make friends or get better. The problems started at infant school, they just got worse and worse when I say 7 years that's how long I've been self harming for, that's what takes the piss, I don't remember being happy ever or having friends or doing normal **** everyone else does. Why would things change after all this time?

Sorry that sounds a bit aggressive, it's not meant to. :o:
    Its okay, i understand that its not a place you want to be in and not being able to see an easy or route out is a little infuriating.

I think it is worth a try anyway, there are alot of avenues to try when it comes to mental health, there is drugs with other therapies in a combined manner, basically you dont know if things can be better intill you ask, if you dont ask then there is no chance that if things continue as they are you will get to a place you want to be.

Maybe being in a mind set that things have not changed in a set amount of time, they wont ever, is not the best one to be in, of course you cant help it, but it may be something to think about when trying to look at everything in a different light.

As said i wouldnt worry to much about the scars, it wont hinder you in finding a job :console:

ReputationRep:
    OP could you explain how your depression is affecting your life and if possible what caused it? If you don't want to you reveal it you can PM me... but basically theres a technique which I used when my a friend died and it helped me cope with it, I could explain it if you want :dontknow:. And it doesn't involve drugs

Its okay, i understand that its not a place you want to be in and not being able to see an easy or route out is a little infuriating.

I think it is worth a try anyway, there are alot of avenues to try when it comes to mental health, there is drugs with other therapies in a combined manner, basically you dont know if things can be better intill you ask, if you dont ask then there is no chance that if things continue as they are you will get to a place you want to be.

Maybe being in a mind set that things have not changed in a set amount of time, they wont ever, is not the best one to be in, of course you cant help it, but it may be something to think about when trying to look at everything in a different light.

As said i wouldnt worry to much about the scars, it wont hinder you in finding a job :console:
    Part of me knows you're right, I've got the wrong attitude, but after so many years it's getting impossible to see a way out that doesn't involve hurting myself. I will take your advice and ask my psychiatrist about alternatives to meds when I see her next. I know things like CBT exist but no one's ever suggested to me to have it but you're right I have to ask. Thanks.

(Original post by n1r4v)
    OP could you explain how your depression is affecting your life and if possible what caused it? If you don't want to you reveal it you can PM me... but basically theres a technique which I used when my a friend died and it helped me cope with it, I could explain it if you want :dontknow:. And it doesn't involve drugs
    I'm interested to know what this is if you don't mind sharing. To answer you: it effects everything. I feel like **** all the time, no matter what I do I can't feel happy, I've got no motivation in anything, I've dropped out of uni twice, unable to concentrate, unable to sleep, weird appetite, pretty much everything. What caused it? I don't know, lack of friends, bullying, death of someone very close to me, feeling like a total outsider my whole life, parents making me feel like ****, no abuse or anything which would explain properly why I feel like this so tbh I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    You are going to get better, you just have to believe it. It might seem like forever but that's only if you make it so. If your psychiatrist is no good there's not a lot of point carrying on with her but that doesn't mean giving up. I had the same problem so I complained to my doctor and said I wanted to get better and wanted other means of help.

Scars will fade in time too and can you not cover them up?

I found one of the best ways of getting better was keeping active, going out and surrounding myself with people.

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    You are going to get better, you just have to believe it. It might seem like forever but that's only if you make it so. If your psychiatrist is no good there's not a lot of point carrying on with her but that doesn't mean giving up. I had the same problem so I complained to my doctor and said I wanted to get better and wanted other means of help.

Scars will fade in time too and can you not cover them up?

I found one of the best ways of getting better was keeping active, going out and surrounding myself with people.
    I've seen 5 psychiatrists. I can't change this one as she's part of a team for psychosis the only one in the area.

I'll be honest, I wanted to join the police. You're right I could try covering them but I think it won't be good enough.

I try to go to the gym, usually manage about 3 times a week, but I have no one to surround myself with, I literally have no friends and seem completely incapable of making any. It was my 21st and no one cared except my mum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested to know what this is if you don't mind sharing. To answer you: it effects everything. I feel like **** all the time, no matter what I do I can't feel happy, I've got no motivation in anything, I've dropped out of uni twice, unable to concentrate, unable to sleep, weird appetite, pretty much everything. What caused it? I don't know, lack of friends, bullying, death of someone very close to me, feeling like a total outsider my whole life, parents making me feel like ****, no abuse or anything which would explain properly why I feel like this so tbh I don't know.
    Before I do, do you try and ignore / forget about your problems most of the time, or do you focus a lot on your hurtful past?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.