Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a 'brand new' or practically new car next month with some benefits from work. Budget is generally £3.5k / year plus up to say £2k of my own cash. That leaves me with £5.5k a year, £27.5k over 5 years.

I want to budget all my insurance, tax and the likes out of this, so call £1k a year for insurance, 1k for tax and maintenance.

the car MUST be no older than 12 months old (if I had my way, it wouldnt be and I'd go for the monaro or m3 like I'd planned)

I don't have parking space for more than one car so it will have to be a jack of all trades. I want it to be quick, drive well and be comfy, and I'll probably have to stick to 3 door 4 seaters. I'm not a fan of hatch backs (although the leon looks sexy) so I think I'm limited to coupes and saloons although again, I can't see any in budget saloons that tick enough boxes.

The front runner at the mo is a 1 series 135 coupe, althoughg I'm not convinced on them - too much a micro 3 series and I will be very stretched to find one in white or black in budget. A freind had a 125 but I really wasn't impressed with them but they seemed very well built.

any other suggestions? ideally I'd say I was looking at the 300bhp group but the 1 series is all I can think off punching that high for under 25k.

ReputationRep:
    you thought bout the nissan c+c?

ReputationRep:
    C-Class, they are sexy and beutiful!

ReputationRep:
    Sirocco.

T

ReputationRep:
    Audi
    A5

ReputationRep:
    I was initially going to reccomend Audi S4, but out of your budget it seems..

But just checked parkers is valuing 335i M Sport at £25k ish for Private (good) and £27k for Independent dealer.. I'm sure parkers has always over valued in my experience so far. Also you can always negotiate a lower price and dealers right now are dropping prices quite heavily in some cases.. Might be a good starting point.

Also, your lucky to get to be working with such benefits. Mind me asking what you do?

ReputationRep:
    If this is a company car, tell them you'd prefer a fuel allowance instead and get the monaro.

ReputationRep:
    If the Monaro isn't possible, then the obvious alternative is.....VXR8!

Plenty within your budget, great all rounder and just plain awesome. In your situation, it would take me all of five seconds to make up my mind and get for the Vauxhall! You know you want it....

Edit: Plus, if you get it, it will be far and away the coolest car that anyone on here owns. A 1-Series just won't cut it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rader)
    Audi
    A5
    My thoughts exactly I think the base model which is still good is £19k

ReputationRep:
    Golf R32?

ReputationRep:
    Nissan 370Z once they have come down a bit in price i suppose, was lucky enough to drive one recently, very nice car, bit cheap and nasty inside comapred to say a Beemer, but its a pretty good car.

Vauxhall VXR8 seems like a good choice but that thing is like a fresher at a free bar, it will drink a LOT.

Person above has it right i think, Golf R32 would be a pretty good bet really, you could always get a new Focus RS, hatchback but the write up's are very good, although, it is pretty damn vulgar.

Last suggestion, Mitsubishi Lancer evo 10? seems like a good car, write up's say its good to drive, quick, comfy etc.

ReputationRep:
    didnt think of the VXR8 for some reason, guess I ruled it out for not being as pretty as the monaro - but it ticks all the boxes, pacey, rwd, v8 :laugh:

The Evo is a) probably out of my price range and b) WAY too costly to maintain. I can dream but it'd bankrupt me and come back for the family :laugh:

Vauxhall offer 12 months warranty on clutches and the like on cars bought through network Q which is a plus - I'm going suited n booted to my local dealer who has one in stock to see if I can get a test drive or at least get some info on options within budget..

The R32 isnt my type of car really, not a fan of hatches - I loved the OLD R32 but am not too big on the new un.. The RS is potentially out of budget, although an ST would fit easily (combined with a GG 300bhp kit, and quaiffe LSD it could be as quick :laugh:) but they're fwd which is the only think I have against an orange st - I was absolutely hell bent on getting one when they came out.

The Sciorrico has the same pitfalls and I don't think it's 'special' enough to keep my interest for the next few years - I think they're nice to look at that said and the vw build quality will be there.. The A5 is beautiful as a 'sensible' car, but to get the interesting engines, it's just too pricey.. The same with the TT - available in budget but not in the right flavour. The A4 cabrio is available in budget in 2.0 tdi or fsi form, but again, could be a bit tame albeit a nice drive..

Drinking a lot won't be a problem as a lot of the fuel is covered by work, but maintenance is slightly more important, which as far as I can gather isn't TOO severe on the vxr8.

Yep JC, if they agree to give me cash in hand, I'll be going for a £15k Monaro (or the e46 m3) I think and pool the rest into the running!

Cheers for the suggestions so far, keep em coming

ReputationRep:
    if you get cash jaw, M3 E46 is the way to go, give me £25,000 to spend on a new car and i would buy one without even thinking about, plus i much prefer that howling straight 6 to the new V8 M3 as well, something with the new M3 doesnt seem right, never has done, you could always go whole hog and get a cheaper M3 CSL

ReputationRep:
    If you come back with anything other than a politically incorrect, fire-breathing, fuel-guzzling VXR8, I shall be very disappointed in you!:p:

its a pity it has to be new. you could be looking at a good r34 gtr v spec skyline for that price...

or find another 20k and get a Bathurst S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchocice)
    Nissan 370Z once they have come down a bit in price i suppose, was lucky enough to drive one recently, very nice car, bit cheap and nasty inside comapred to say a Beemer, but its a pretty good car.

Vauxhall VXR8 seems like a good choice but that thing is like a fresher at a free bar, it will drink a LOT.

Person above has it right i think, Golf R32 would be a pretty good bet really, you could always get a new Focus RS, hatchback but the write up's are very good, although, it is pretty damn vulgar.

Last suggestion, Mitsubishi Lancer evo 10? seems like a good car, write up's say its good to drive, quick, comfy etc.
    Yuck. To start with, it only has 2 seats. Secondly, the only thing they really have going for them is that they look nice, they aren't as good as they should be to drive and they have hideous road noise and an impractical boot.

VXR8 sounds like a good choice to me if you can afford it... For some reason I have an ingrained hatred of 1 series BMWs, thought I'm not sure why..

ReputationRep:
    aye I'm not fond of the 1 series but bang for buck they're up there with what I can get. I've been told I might be able to wangle it so I dont have to go new! VERY tempted by a 911 if that's the case, a circa 2000 996, or the monaro and save a shed of money, or even the e46. Decisions.. not convinced it will pan out though, theres bound to be some sort of catch.

I'm hopping in the vxr8 tomorrow so will let you know how that bears :laugh: I may still go for the deer eating v8 yet.. I'll make it work if it brings enough smiles! if you wanna donate the 20k dh, I'm all game for that Bathurst!

someone threw an alfa brera into the mix, performance aside, it is one beautiful car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    I'm hopping in the vxr8 tomorrow so will let you know how that bears :laugh: I may still go for the deer eating v8 yet.. I'll make it work if it brings enough smiles! if you wanna donate the 20k dh, I'm all game for that Bathurst!
    I'm almost positive that once you hop in a VXR8, you will want one. The noise, power and sense of occasion will win you over 100%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I'm almost positive that once you hop in a VXR8, you will want one. The noise, power and sense of occasion will win you over 100%!
    :laugh: I'm worried that'l be the case, I'll get my heart set on it and be gutted should anything stop me get it!

the sound of that supercharger on the bathurst alone makes me want one but alas..

the thing is, with performance in the oodles, the vxr8 seems to do EVERYTHING I'm looking for in a car and then some so far..

ReputationRep:
    get a 3 series

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.