The Student Room Group

How hard is it to up your grade from a B at AS to an A at A2

Im pretty sure ive got an average B in maths not high not low at AS but i NEED an A because i want to do it at Uni.

Is it hard to get that up to an A even if i redo say my weakest module probably C2?

And If the Uni requirements are AAB and i get ABB at AS but think i get an AAB at A2, will i defiantly get rejected because i dont have the requirements at AS?
bobbyjimmy
Im pretty sure ive got an average B in maths not high not low at AS but i NEED an A because i want to do it at Uni.

Is it hard to get that up to an A even if i redo say my weakest module probably C2?

And If the Uni requirements are AAB and i get ABB at AS but think i get an AAB at A2, will i defiantly get rejected because i dont have the requirements at AS?

yes its possible, but i would strongly advise resitting your weaker AS modules.

i got a C at AS Maths last year, resat C2 and D1 (C1 was fine) and now i have an A at AS maths, then i got an A in S1 for A2 and now im looking at an A in A2 (A Level) maths as i just have to get low B's in C3 and C4. so it is possible.

and i think when doing your ucas application re enter the exams on your ucas and put pending as the grade so the unis should be aware that you are resitting and may look at your new resit results.
Reply 2
Anon the 7th
yes its possible, but i would strongly advise resitting your weaker AS modules.

i got a C at AS Maths last year, resat C2 and D1 (C1 was fine) and now i have an A at AS maths, then i got an A in S1 for A2 and now im looking at an A in A2 (A Level) maths as i just have to get low B's in C3 and C4. so it is possible.

and i think when doing your ucas application re enter the exams on your ucas and put pending as the grade so the unis should be aware that you are resitting and may look at your new resit results.

Thats given me hope thanks:biggrin:
I can't really comment on maths because I only did it to AS, but you can definately change things a lot from AS to A2. I managed to get my 2Bs at AS up to 2As, and my A in AS went down to a C at A2. So its definately possible, but make sure you don't forget your other subjects! Good luck..
Reply 4
definitely resit c1 I'd say as that's assumed knowledge right the way through every other core module. Maybe c2 as well. any of the applied that you contiue on with with probably build on the knowldge too.

its a good resitting subject i suppose because its all related as upposed to biology or something where modules can be totally different.
Reply 5
I don't think it's that difficult
I had a mid B at AS, but now i'm on for an A at A2, mainly because i improved a lot on C1 and got an A in C3 (which i think is easier than C2)

I'd definetely retake C1 though
Reply 6
Quite easily doable with resits.
doable.

Maths is probably the easiest subject to pull a low grade at AS up to a high grade at A2 with resits. When you've done C3/C4, you could sit C1 with no revision and C2 with very little revision and do very well as the AS modules become really easy at A2.

IMO resits in bio/chem are harder as you have to go relearn some old theory form the old modules to recap, whereas with maths it isn't essential as the A2 modules build on from the AS ones.
I would think so

I know someone who studies (studied) English Language in Y13 and he got A's in his Y12 and 13 coursework modules and a B in his Y12 exam. He only needed to get a D in his Y13 exam to come out with an A overall!!!

I think thats absolutely crazy!:eek3:
Reply 9
could always re-sit the AS module ? ( if thats possible )
also depends on how far off the A you were at AS level, and how determined you are to get your A at A-level :smile:

good luck with it :smile:
Reply 10
this is what i tried this year, i know i have failed miserably though, half hearted attempt. its doable though, just a few resits and revise a bit harder.
Reply 11
bobbyjimmy

If you got below an d A in C1, retake.

if you hot a minium B in all modules, it gonna be hard
You can get an A* in A level maths with a B at AS but predictions get the offers.....I don't think it will be too hard, but it would be better to have two higher module grades and one bad grade that can boost the overall grade more by retaking. Rather than have all three mediocre (higher than bad) grades, which will make it tricky in which one to retake and may not boost the overall grade as much.
I got BBBDD at AS and applied for an AAB course and my predicted grades were AABD and i was accepted so having ABB and applying for AAB should be no problem, and the way to think about it is for every mark under an A you are on each exam you need that much over, so i reckon if you have 2 high achieving modules (c1 and 2 most likely) an A is easily possible
Reply 14
shaun12345
I got BBBDD at AS and applied for an AAB course and my predicted grades were AABD and i was accepted so having ABB and applying for AAB should be no problem, and the way to think about it is for every mark under an A you are on each exam you need that much over, so i reckon if you have 2 high achieving modules (c1 and 2 most likely) an A is easily possible

Thats interesting, i always thought if you didn't have the grades at AS there was just no way your going to get in because there will always be someone else out there that has the grades at AS.
bobbyjimmy
Thats interesting, i always thought if you didn't have the grades at AS there was just no way your going to get in because there will always be someone else out there that has the grades at AS.

im guessing AS grades are a small factor, they probably also take into account how many AS subjects you did (i done 5 and none were critical thinking/general studies), your predicted grades, maybe gcses (although admittedley mine were below the usual bristol applicant) and then things like reference and personal statement
Reply 16
resitt! i got a high B at AS and resat to get a high A, but seriously once you've done C3 and C4, C1 and C2 are ridiculously easy. I did mechanics, while i have probably failed M2 i resat M1 and got almost full marks :woo:

Alsooo i dont think AS grades matter that much...for example, my friend got CDDE at AS, and her firm and insurance are lancaster and kent for like ABB/BBB, and thats for history which is pretty competitive :yes:
Reply 17
km31
resitt! i got a high B at AS and resat to get a high A, but seriously once you've done C3 and C4, C1 and C2 are ridiculously easy. I did mechanics, while i have probably failed M2 i resat M1 and got almost full marks :woo:

Alsooo i dont think AS grades matter that much...for example, my friend got CDDE at AS, and her firm and insurance are lancaster and kent for like ABB/BBB, and thats for history which is pretty competitive :yes:

My best friend was in the same boat as you with his maths he said after c3 and c4 c2 was easy he retook and got like 95% or something stupid. Dont worry to much bad AS grades can be dealt with , retake sooner rather than later way to much pressure to retake in june in comparrison to jan exams and having the uni application and personal statement.
I went up from a B to an A in my History A level, and, hopefully, will have for English. As people have said, with the opportunity to resit twice it's perfectly doable.

Latest