Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

advice from ex smokers needed please... Watch

ReputationRep:
    oh my gosh i am in desperate need of a cig but i quit a year ago beacause i knew it would make me ill. I was an extremely heavy smoker and i smoked when i was feeling stressed, i could smoke up to 40 a day, i know it's sick.

But when i smell cigerette smoke especially my brand i really want one

What did you do when you had these cravings, it has been going on for a couple of weeks now, i have been trying to do more yoga to try help me relax but to know avail

Please help! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    But they don't taste of that smell.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend educating yourself with how nasty it really is. Google pictures of smokers lungs etc. It was also quite inspiring to me to read up on what changes happen after giving up smoking.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa..._timescale.swf

I think the fact that I cut right down from 20 to 1 a day, and I was developing quite a smokers cough in the mornings helped a lot to dissuade me from carrying on.

I'll be honest, I have the occasional social smoke now and again but I have no desire to take it up again... it's literally just very occasional social smoking. I figure a cigarette or 2 every few months gives my body a chance to get rid of all the crap it produces.

ReputationRep:
    Buy an electronic cigarette. I've gone from 40 a day to 10 and dropping.

ReputationRep:
    I only smoked for like 1.5 years. but i still want one everynow n then. all my mates smoke so whenever they had one, i just whipped out n apple and stared munching on it.

ReputationRep:
    Use some sort of scent maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglollipop)
    oh my gosh i am in desperate need of a cig but i quit a year ago beacause i knew it would make me ill. I was an extremely heavy smoker and i smoked when i was feeling stressed, i could smoke up to 40 a day, i know it's sick.

What did you do when you had these cravings, it has been going on for a couple of weeks now, i have been trying to do more yoga to try help me relax but to know avail

Start smoking again. I think you should. You're young enough for the damage to be mininal anyway.

Go on. Do it. Imagine how much happier you'll be.

ReputationRep:
    This may not be the most sociable option but funnily enough it did work for me.

Just don't go out! Don't walk past cigarette shops or kiosks.

I still really want a cigarette but after a couple of minutes the craving goes.

It's easier said than done but it worked for me!! I completely went cold turkey and haven't had one since July 3rd..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglollipop)

Have you heard of stuff called Nicorette? They come in several form (chewing gum, patches etc) and strengths. Supose to help people stop smoking.

iyou will need to take some important steps.
    you can find at www.healthsolutionsonline.blogspot.com check out the quit smoking section.
    hope that will help.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really help you, went cold-turkey myself and it worked. I still get the odd craving but meh it doesn't bother me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.