Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    panic :O

i just tried to do my student loan application and it wont even let me past the first stage because i havnt lived in the uk for the past 3 years. i lived in the us for 2 of the 3 years, but the last year i lived and applied to university in the uk, qualifying as a home student. the prompted response was to attempt to get a loan as an eu student:

(You have indicated that you have been living in a country of the EEA (European Economic Area) other than the UK for the three years immediately before the start of your course. This means you cannot apply online for student finance. However, an application form and information on the student finance you may be eligible for can be found on the EU Students' page.)

I wasn't living in Europe, and im an f'ing UK resident!! am i not entitled to any money? help (

ReputationRep:
    Why were you in the UK? For your parents work? Or did you emigrate?

ReputationRep:
    My advice:
    Phone Student Finance England
    Their number: 0141 243 3929 / 0845 300 5090
    Non-0845 number above... it's cheaper, and rings the same phones that phoning the 0845 would ring.
    Lines Open Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 8.00 pm; Saturday and Sunday 9.00 am to 5.30 pm

It's all a bit late to leave your application for your student loan; but that can't be changed now... you should aim to phone them ASAP (9am tomorrow morning) and speak to an advisor explaining the situation etc.

ReputationRep:
    Or just answer my question, seeing as I've done student financial assessments for coming up to 4 years, and know the regulations inside out. Those two numbers do not go through to the same office.

Plus my help only costs a chocolate chip muffin, and has no hold time. The helpline will only tell you to submit a form.

ReputationRep:
    i was born and lived most of my life in the uk; i went to high school in the US because of my fathers job. i moved back last october by myself and applied for entrance in 2009.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, and is your fathers work contract on a temporary one or permanent?

ReputationRep:
    temporary, the family visa expires in march 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Temporary work contract would make you eligible, providing it was your fathers intention to return to the UK on completion. You would need to provide SFE with copies of the contract when you submit an application form. It would be a paper PN1 form you'd need to do. I advise against online applications when it comes to residency status.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, ill hard copy it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.