The Student Room Group

Teething kitten is off her food

Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can reassure me and give me some advice. I have a 5 month old kitten and she seems to be teething. She has been chewing things a lot (she chews things a lot anyway so no massive change). She eats a mixture of wet and dry kitten food. Today she needed some more wet but the shop didn't have the brand I usually get her so I got a different one.

She refused to eat the food I gave her and eventually I relented and made her a fresh bowl (she gets picky about 'flavours' and I don't think she's had trout before, so I gave her tuna flavour, which she usually eats happily). But she won't eat that either. I got worried about her and managed to feed her a small handful of dry and a couple of kitten treats this evening. I have just found a tiny little tooth on the bed so I assume she must be teething.

Anyway my question is is it normal for her to be off her food when she is teething? Should I give her a bowl of dry and see if she'll eat that? She wouldn't eat the wet even from my hand. She is drinking enough water and I tried her on a teaspoon of 'kitten milk' which she had a few licks of. Is there anything else I should do to make her more comfortable?

Oh I also tried to look into her mouth but she won't open it for me and I've never managed to get the hang of how vets just swoop in and pull it open :s-smilie: So I can't really tell what's going on in there.
Reply 1
Hey it sounds like ur lil kitten's teething alright!
I showed my mum your post (she's raised 5 kittens) and she thinks you have nothing to worry about...n that it'll past! :smile:

anyhu check out this link...might help!

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf27581622.tip.html
Reply 2
Thanks that has made me feel better =) I read on the internet that a small towel dampened, wrung out and put in the freezer is good for them to chew on (because its soft and cold) so I've got one ready for tomorrow. I'm such a softie :yes:
Reply 3
i lovvve kittens and their little noses and tails hehe
Kittens are too cute! I need one major...
Reply 5
It's normal she doesn't want the other brand, my cats go catch mice if they don't get one of the 3 brands they like -_-'
Try putting the dry food in some water to make it soft (not so it dissolves) just soften it up so it's easier to chew
Reply 6
So many people are gonna click on this thread just because kittens are cute, despite having no knowledge or need to find out anything about kittens.
Me being one.
Reply 7
Update =)

I left her 2 bowls of food out last night One dry, one wet and mashed up. I went in her room this morning to find both empty and licked clean. She's also eaten fine today. She wasn't having that towel though. She just sniffed it a bit. I managed to get a look in her mouth and she looks a bit gummy *giggles* but she's back to normal and not sulking any more.

For all those kitten-crazies:

Ralphy says "Don'tcha wish your kitten was cute like me?"
Reply 8
Licking.... sniffing....sulking.... SO CUTE!!!!
Reply 9
yayyyy!! :top:
aww that's rlly gd 2 hear!!
Ralphy's sooo cute!!

Latest