Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Discussion about EDL/UAF confrontations in Birmingham Watch

ReputationRep:
    It just said on channel 4 news, that there was a riot in Birmingham city centre this afternoon.

they said it was between 'the english defence league' and anti-racist rioters. then it showed a gang of black guys chasing after this white boy and stamping on him.

anyone know anything about this?

ReputationRep:
    everyone in birm hates each other.

blacks and muslims hate each other the most.

whites and blacks aren't too bad, whites hate muslims more.

blacks and whites don't particularly like each other though.

The midlands is pretty damn racist.

All this riot will do is cause constant retaliation.

ReputationRep:
    Not heard anything.

ReputationRep:
    yet more proof that multiculturalism dnt work!
    Interesting why it's hardly mentioned in the media, very interesting indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Not heard anything.
    This.

Either it's not as big as the OP is implying, or the media are choosing not to report on it out of 'social cohesion'.

Either way, Birmingham is a **** hole in my honest opinion, and a good example of the tension which arises from the failed multiculturalism experiment.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't heard anything. I was going to go into town today, glad I didn't if that's true.

And to KinkyBear and Hugh-Jackman, this is one isolated incident. Things like this don't happen all the time, and are actually a lot rarer than the media make it seem, and they certainly don't prove that multiculturalism doesn't work or that everyone hates each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    Why?

Due to the fact that people think its a good idea to stamp on one another due to a difference of skin colour?

More proof that idiots are idiots if anything.

ReputationRep:
    The Midlands is an explosion waiting to happen. The Lozells riots a few years ago were, indeed, between Blacks and Asians, and, as 'Hugh-Jackman' said, this is probably the main source of conflict. But what we're seeing, from what my grandparents say at least, is that "white flight" is higher than ever in the suburbs, and people are getting incredibly pissed off with it. Birmingham city centre is, literally, a game of spot the white man.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing on their website, or the BBCs, or Sky...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avada Kedavra)
    This.

Either it's not as big as the OP is implying, or the media are choosing not to report on it out of 'social cohesion'.

Either way, Birmingham is a **** hole in my honest opinion, and a good example of the tension which arises from the failed multiculturalism experiment.
    english defence league vs anti racists has nothing to do with multi culturalism, its about stupid ignorant people who dislike others because of there skin!

ReputationRep:
    different races in birmingham don't particularly get on, not all obviously but there is definitely tension.

I've been in brum when they have a big screen there for england games, everyone is just doing racist chants.

ReputationRep:
    I havent heard anything about any riots and I live in Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't imply it was bigger than it was! It was on the news, although one of the smaller stories.

There are big skirmishes all the time in Britain, just this one looked particularly big on TV

ReputationRep:
    ah i saw some of this, mental - but it wasn't really a riot (unless it escalated massively)

there was just a protest from the EDL (who were all pissed up and coming back from the football basically looking for a fight) which I guess some people tried to counter protest. There seemed to be a large police presence, and areas were cordened off, etc, under relative control

oh and it happened the other month too, but then the police just broke it up

and it was all over facebook as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    A minor, isolated, mostly unheard of outbreak of violence, now they'll believe me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steed999)
    english defence league vs anti racists has nothing to do with multi culturalism, its about stupid ignorant people who dislike others because of there skin!
    In my opinion, culture is one of the main factors. Of course, a lot of these people do simply hate others due to their skin colour; however, I think that most of them wouldn't take issue with a black or Asian accountant walking down the street in his suit and heading to the the local pub (not that this is the definition of integration, just an example), rather the people who purposefully segregate themselves and bring all the negativities of foreign and religious culture to Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Jaager seemingly can't handle the truth, and that people think differently to him. And that multikulti is a load of baloney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    The Midlands is an explosion waiting to happen. The Lozells riots a few years ago were, indeed, between Blacks and Asians, and, as 'Hugh-Jackman' said, this is probably the main source of conflict. But what we're seeing, from what my grandparents say at least, is that "white flight" is higher than ever in the suburbs, and people are getting incredibly pissed off with it. Birmingham city centre is, literally, a game of spot the white man.
    :blah:

ReputationRep:
    Please. Watch and Learn Init

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bla8ReCgNA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Haven't heard anything. I was going to go into town today, glad I didn't if that's true.

And to KinkyBear and Hugh-Jackman, this is one isolated incident. Things like this don't happen all the time, and are actually a lot rarer than the media make it seem, and they certainly don't prove that multiculturalism doesn't work or that everyone hates each other.
    This... ^ I'm glad I didn't go to town today either and went to see my grandad in london instead...

Some people hate other people for stupid stupid reasons... but the vast majority of us couldnt care less about race...If there's some english defence league? is it some sort of a racist group?... I've never heard of them before... I'm tired of these racist losers...

Someone threw a brick at my grandma a week ago when she was on her way to the doctors and shouted racist comments... How do people do this an live with themselves! She's got a scar on her face. It's not fair... She's been here for over 50 years... and no-one especially not her... deserves something like that... urgh. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.