Turn on thread page Beta

Discussion about EDL/UAF confrontations in Birmingham watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andywylde)
    I don't think they were. I was in the middle of it all. To me it looked like a bunch of idiots who'd spilled out of one of the many local boozers, looking for a scrap.

If the BNP was gonna turn up their would of been far many more white thugs going at it. But it simply wasn't like that. There were about 300+ Asians, and about 30-50 white guys who were giving it the large. The rest of the white guys were the EDL who were protesting outside the town hall, who didn't get violent in the slightest
    The EDL is a thoroughly unpleasant little outfit, who billed a protest "against Islam". Underneath all their claims of "non-racism", it's pretty obvious what their intentions really were; it was a far-right protest directed at the Asian population of the West Midlands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    The Asian groups didn't kick off until the rascists started shouting and demeaning them. That said, I don't agree with the way they acted.
    The hostility of the Asians towards ANY white man was baaaad yesterday though. Me and my brother came out of the Bull Ring, and landed smack bang in the middle of their protest, like many shoppers did. We were stuck there for a good 30mins cause the police wouldn't let us out. And the looks we got wern't very friendly in the slightest.

We started talking to a lot of the older Muslim guys and they were cool. But the teenagers were a disgrace.

My biggest beef of the day was with one of their white organizers. The cheeky git got funny with us taking photos, started asking for ID. I got very close to smacking him in the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    The EDL is a thoroughly unpleasant little outfit, who billed a protest "against Islam". Underneath all their claims of "non-racism", it's pretty obvious what their intentions really were; it was a far-right protest directed at the Asian population of the West Midlands.
    Yea they are a bad bunch. But so are the UAF. Everyone was a disgrace yesterday. None of the groups involved can claim any morale high ground. It was billed as a demonstration against Muslim Extremists. How can anyone in their right mind protest against that?

ReputationRep:
    The hostility of the Asians towards ANY white man was baaaad yesterday though. Me and my brother came out of the Bull Ring, and landed smack bang in the middle of their protest, like many shoppers did. We were stuck there for a good 30mins cause the police wouldn't let us out. And the looks we got wern't very friendly in the slightest.

We started talking to a lot of the older Muslim guys and they were cool. But the teenagers were a disgrace.

My biggest beef of the day was with one of their white organizers. The cheeky git got funny with us taking photos, started asking for ID. I got very close to smacking him in the face.
    The whole thing's ridiculous, I agree. I hate extremists on either side of this row.

ReputationRep:
    Though the police did a good job yesterday considering the amount of people and hostility. But to be honest it was them that created a lot of the panic, they kept charging the little handful of thugs and each time they did hundreds of people fled down New St. It was like Cloverfield!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Who is the worst for that kind of thing nowadays? White people? Not a chance.
    I didnt infer my comment to just white people..It was to everyone in general that have that view.

ReputationRep:
    The problem yesterday was the gangs and gangs of Asian teenagers. When it all kicked off even the older generation of Asians were shouting at the young ones "this is exactly how they want you to act"...but still they wouldn't listen.

They turned up in their drones for intimidation purposes, not for a protest.
    That was it exactly - I saw the whole thing (stranded after work) and they definitely inflamed and provoked it more than any one else.

ReputationRep:
    White football fan racists go on a march there is a counter march by white anti-fascists and this somehow proves there is racial tension and multiculturalism doesnt work....

More like white people arguing if they like immigrants or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Human Condition)
    It's unconscionable to judge contemporary Europeans with the actions of their ancestors - everyone is responsible for their own actions.

Ever heard of the Armenian Genocide? Assyrian Genocide? Greek genocide? Or Darfur?

Either way, the fact of the matter is that modern Europe, especially Western Europe, is more respectable of human rights than any other region on earth. Just as an example, people of all religions are able to openly express and practice their religion in the Western world, whereas they are oppressed in Muslim-majority countries.

What about the outrageous oppression of religious minorities such as Christians in the Muslim-world?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11262006...lph_peters.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Very interesting but is it really true that a small minority is the driving force of the economy? Isn't Britain only 10% immigrant?
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....e_economy.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slo-Mo9)
    I didnt infer my comment to just white people..It was to everyone in general that have that view.
    Allot of people claim the trouble stems from a minority. The minority voices its opinion. The minority is heard. Do you think every german agreed with the nazis?

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I came back home from Birmingham on Wednesday. I do remember while I was there some people were giving out leaflets about this protest thing. Crazy place it is!

I'm asian myself but the way they act down there is just mental. Like a pack of wolves who go mad at any little thing.

ReputationRep:
    Is there going to be more of these though like during all those in the bradford riots?

ReputationRep:
    Your original claim was that immigrants would take on the low paid jobs. That article shows the opposite - they're very rich.

I don't think you can know for sure if they contribute 10 whole percent. A 'study' by the 'British Institute of Asians'

ReputationRep:
    I got a text about this the other day, telling me not to go to town on Sat.. lucky i didnt :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Your original claim was that immigrants would take on the low paid jobs. That article shows the opposite - they're very rich.

I don't think you can know for sure if they contribute 10 whole percent. A 'study' by the 'British Institute of Asians'
    No when they first came here they took the lowest of the low jobs. They had minimal education, skills and so took unskilled manual work. That's why they worked in textiles, construction etc. However generation after generation began to pick up. Their educational standards and life chances increased dramatically and began to properly contribute to the economy. The government is just continuing to repeat what they did in the 1960s to the present.

Say what you say about the study. I think its actually even more that, the only people I see on the road that drive Mercedes BMWs are Indians.
    If you think the source was shady,the "reputable" Times obviously verified and accepted the story before publishing it.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...icle561309.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I think its actually even more that, the only people I see on the road that drive Mercedes BMWs are Indians.
    Meaningless and anecdotal.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me thats a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    No when they first came here they took the lowest of the low jobs. They had minimal education, skills and so took unskilled manual work. That's why they worked in textiles, construction etc. However generation after generation began to pick up. Their educational standards and life chances increased dramatically and began to properly contribute to the economy. The government is just continuing to repeat what they did in the 1960s to the present.

Say what you say about the study. I think its actually even more that, the only people I see on the road that drive Mercedes BMWs are Indians.
    If you think the source was shady,the "reputable" Times obviously verified and accepted the story before publishing it.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...icle561309.ece
    Oh yeah I fully believe they're working their way up. So its a continuous cycle - Pakistanis arrived and did the lowest paid jobs, worked their way up, nowadays the Polish arrive and do the lowest paid jobs. Basically theres no end in sight for it

ReputationRep:
    Can i just say i am from an asian background yet i am the poster child for integration. All my friends are white, i work with all white people etc

Yet i have suffered extreme racism all of my life. This proves to me integration is not the issue, integration is just a more acceptable way to be racist. Otherwise everyone would be welcoming of me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.