Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    I always thought it was Sikhs vs Muslims?
    Not just that. There are tensions between all races in Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    The trouble with Birmingham is that everyone hates each other. It's a very paranoid place these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Well where I live there is a good mixture of colours and cultures all living together. I never hear of any trouble on my estate regarding race.
    Exactly, I've seen international people and white people in the city centre and around uni. I also saw a lot of white people in Erdington when I was living there. Never heard of any problems really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Exactly, I've seen international people and white people in the city centre and around uni. I also saw a lot of white people in Erdington when I was living there. Never heard of any problems really.
    Yea people are generally really intergrated, unless you got to a place like Small Heath, Alum Rock or Lozells.

The tension is always there, no matter where you are in the city really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    The Midlands is an explosion waiting to happen. The Lozells riots a few years ago were, indeed, between Blacks and Asians, and, as 'Hugh-Jackman' said, this is probably the main source of conflict. But what we're seeing, from what my grandparents say at least, is that "white flight" is higher than ever in the suburbs, and people are getting incredibly pissed off with it. Birmingham city centre is, literally, a game of spot the white man.
    It's not literally a game of "spot the white man", people don't go around with referees and keeping score. Also, i've been there a few times and am going to Uni in Birmingham in September and from what i have seen, it most certainly is nothing like a game of "spot the white man."

Come to Luton and see what you think of Birmingham then. There is a lot more hostility here than there, imo. Although the majority of people do still manage to live together pretty peacefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andywylde)
    Yea people are generally really intergrated, unless you got to a place like Small Heath, Alum Rock or Lozells.

The tension is always there, no matter where you are in the city really.
    Tbh I haven't felt there being a lot of tension but I guess that's because I don't have a reason to feel it.

ReputationRep:
    people who go uni arent the problem though are they, it's white football hooligan type people, asians that drive supped up cars and black wanabe gangsters.

At the moment, most of the hate is directed towards the muslims, mainly black vs muslims constant retaliation from both sides has caused a lot of hate. Whites and blacks don't really have a huge problem at them moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafa)
    Not just that. There are tensions between all races in Birmingham.
    Must be a typical thing in Brummy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougLTFC)
    Come to Luton and see what you think of Birmingham then. There is a lot more hostility here than there, imo. Although the majority of people do still manage to live together pretty peacefully.
    I'd have to fully agree with you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    people who go uni arent the problem though are they, it's white football hooligan type people, asians that drive supped up cars and black wanabe gangsters.
    Anyone who goes to uni could be one of those people...

ReputationRep:
    saw that when i was shopping in the city center.didnt see anyone chasing any people though.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: I have seen many different people everywhere in Birmingham and its pretty peacefull most of the time. I guess certain areas have their problems but it doesn't make Birmingham hate capital of England

ReputationRep:
    yes but generally they're not. when we're talking about 1000's and 100,000's of people you have to generalise.

finding odd examples here and there is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to fully agree with you there.
    Danke.

ReputationRep:
    yes but generally they're not. when we're talking about 1000's and 100,000's of people you have to generalise.

finding odd examples here and there is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.
    Who said I was talking about a few examples? I don't know anyone like that personally but even when generalising it could be quite a lot of students in Brum as there are 3 unis and I don't know how many schools and colleges.

ReputationRep:
    So BNP is mainly made up of university students and ex students or football fans and people doing manual labour jobs???

Fairly obvious you can use generalisation on this topic.

ReputationRep:
    Highly unlikely, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    Highly unlikely, though.
    I'm a football hooligan. Really. I'm not a racist though.

ReputationRep:
    I heard they were protesting against radical Islamists???

ReputationRep:
    So BNP is mainly made up of university students and ex students or football fans and people doing manual labour jobs???

Fairly obvious you can use generalisation on this topic.
    I'm not saying mainly made up of. If you read what I said, I said could. Even if it is highly unlikely it could still be a lot of uni students.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.