Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrorfication)
    Though to be honest I have no problem with this at all, It's just with events like these and people like me and you pointing facts and changes like these out (which are insignificant) is fuel for further unfounded talks and debates about racism which is to be honest all avoidable if we all disregarded colour. In my opinion we are all racist throughout our lives due to social conditioning.

peace
    I don't even think it's anything to do with social conditioning. The grouchy middle-aged people who complain of "ethnics" these days were part of the hippy generation, and would've previously had no resentment at all. It's like how all the people on TSR are obsessed with equality and anti-racism. When the fact simply remains that they'll move away from such idealism as they grow older and realise the harsh reality. Which is that human beings are designed to compete, and when there are differences, there's room for exploitation and conflict. It's mainly a socio-economic issue - considering the segregated non-affluent ethnic minority areas - but the colour coincidence makes it a racial one. It's the most overt way by which to categorise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Does what? the BNP tried to stir it up in the 2000's and caused a massive riot.

Even if there was a riot people would just get over it.
    Get over what? I wouldn't blame the BNP for what happened in Oldham because it was clearly Muslims rioting (ie. definitely not the BNP)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioElectric)
    People do that to people. Who stands there and takes a picture rather than helping?

(Answer: Also people.)
    Thankyou for enlightening me?

Are you assuming the photographer is white? Are you trying to involve him in beating up the white boy?

ReputationRep:
    Most inner cities are hell holes

ahh poor white people, some asians are now rich enough to live with them :rolleyes:

maybe whities who dont like it move to one of the many places in england where you could hardly spot a non white person if you tried.
    In fact, it's not that they're getting rich. It's usually that eight families are living in big houses, with each adding their share. Why do you think it's so "strange" that these people are resenting the influx of ethnic minorities to their area? If it was the other way around, equal resentment would be shown (Dubai is a good example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I don't even think it's anything to do with social conditioning. The grouchy middle-aged people who complain of "ethnics" these days were part of the hippy generation, and would've previously had no resentment at all.
    Honk honk. If the hippie generation was entirely composed of "hippies", as opposed to it being a popular but small-ish movement, we'd be living in a very different world today.

Also, Enoch Powell was wrong, and remains wrong to this day.

ReputationRep:
    ahh poor white people, some asians are now rich enough to live with them :rolleyes:
    Suburban properties aren't necessarily expensive, so your argument crumbles in that sense. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/8191833.stm

ReputationRep:
    Honk honk. If the hippie generation was entirely composed of "hippies", as opposed to it being a popular but small-ish movement, we'd be living in a very different world today.
    I didn't suggest the hippie generation was entirely composed of hippies. It was, however, almost full to the brim with "progressives".

Also, Enoch Powell was wrong, and remains wrong to this day.
    In terms of time-scale, perhaps. But this means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Thankyou for enlightening me?
    You're welcome. To me the shocking thing about the picture isn't the violence (that kind of thing happens quite often) but that it's happening in a well-populated place in broad daylight.

Are you assuming the photographer is white? Are you trying to involve him in beating up the white boy?
    I'm saying that anyone who doesn't help in a situation like that is partially responsible. Though maybe those pictures would be enough evidence to secure at least three assault convictions. I'd like to think that.

ReputationRep:
    Our society is falling apart at the seams. Whats shocking is the lack of trust

ReputationRep:
    I was there today. It was mostly a joke.

I only saw one fascist having the **** kicked out of him. If he didn't want a kicking, he shouldn't have charged at a a bunch of "normal british people" with his fascist scum mates, shouting racist ******** at us. Apparently THEY are "normal british people, but the normal biritsh people in Birmingham today disagreed.

Birmingham is a NO GO AREA for fascists.

ReputationRep:
    The council are to blame in my opinion. Why would you allow more then one protest to happen at the same time. ESPECIALLY in town centre which is the heart of brum....its the council that has let us down. Now the tensions gonna remain for a long period of time and I gurantee u theres gonna be more problems in central town after whats happend. Foolz i tell ya....FOOOLZ!

disgusting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLvh6ll-Aoc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by side)
    The council are to blame in my opinion. Why would you allow more then one protest to happen at the same time. ESPECIALLY in town centre which is the heart of brum....its the council that has let us down. Now the tensions gonna remain for a long period of time and I gurantee u theres gonna be more problems in central town after whats happend. Foolz i tell ya....FOOOLZ!
    i think the problem goes deeper than that

ReputationRep:
    It seems that Clubber Lang got a bit irritated by my claim that were the "assaulters" in the second photo above the opposite colour, there'd have been a rather more vehement opposition to it. To be frank, I think it was a valid point, and just because you're living in denial, it doesn't mean others aren't entitled to their opinion; but don't get too wound up. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't suggest the hippie generation was entirely composed of hippies. It was, however, almost full to the brim with "progressives".
    I disagree.

In terms of time-scale, perhaps. But this means nothing.
    That "someday, someday" attitude of yours makes you sound like an end-times fundamentalist christian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avada Kedavra)
    Suburban properties aren't necessarily expensive, so your argument crumbles in that sense. :rolleyes:
    but there is the notion that they are more expensive than inner city hell holes

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt Birmingham is more unsafe than most other cities I go to, it's just so unfriendly.

If I recall correctly there was a big race fight a couple of years ago in Birmingham between Asians and Black people. Apparently there was a small fight and people from both sides started calling friends and family members and everything went nuts. I would try and find a news report but I can't remember any specific details.

I wish they would destroy Birmingham, the very centre is Ok, everything around it is a slum though, with perhaps the exception of Sutton Coldfield. I think there's a lot more separation of race there anyway, some bars i've visited have been just Asian only.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't live in Birmingham but pretty close in West Bromwich. I never knew race relations were actually this bad in Birmingham, I expected it in areas such as Sparkbrook, Lozelles etc... Luckily it isn't really that bad where I live.

ReputationRep:
    That "someday, someday" attitude of yours makes you sound like an end-times fundamentalist christian.
    I don't see it. Segregation entails competitiveness, and the pressure will build up over time. There's no point speculating on an exact timeframe, but I'm leaning on the side of caution. You're not.

ReputationRep:
    Get over what? I wouldn't blame the BNP for what happened in Oldham because it was clearly Muslims rioting (ie. definitely not the BNP)
    I seem to remember there were BNP/NF members there stirring thigns up before it all kicked off.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.