Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor thinks i'm crazy... watch

Announcements

I've been living with symptoms all over my body...

first it started as headache, then it started as a constant 24/7 squeezing in the chest.... at one point, i thought i was have a stroke or heart attack.... worse feeling in my life but for some reason i am grateful for the life experience, I did a Echo-cardiograph like 1 month before it started happening and everything came back normal the GP said, i did an MRI - everything came back normal again.... I did a neck check and the doctor said it looked normal, I even did an X-ray scan and another small heart check i think.

GP says it's psychological, but he treats me like i'm crazy talks to me like I'm 10 years old.... and says stuff like last time i walked into to see him" Oooooo it's you What can WE do FOR U today"... It's really degrading/patronizing.

He has me go to a psychologist but i feel she really doesn't listen and interprets what i am going through...

I'm not a depressed person - but they are trying to convince me i am, I hardly get anxious - but they say i am...

I feel trapped, like perhaps there is something there missing... My symptoms don't come and go, they stay in my body 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and they consider this health anxiety...

Anybody got any advice on what i can do? I'm trying to move GP's but they are making it sorta hard, but I'm working on it.

I'll appreciate any advice whatsoever, thanks

ReputationRep:
    The tests are normal. What more do you want them to do for you?

(Original post by Smile88egc)
    The tests are normal. What more do you want them to do for you?
    my symptoms include, feeling of squeezing sensations in my mouth above gums and ride side of jaw (as if im wearing braces or having a string pulling my teeth back)... also light sensations in the throat and the same type of sensation on and off in my left side of chest...

I don't know..... I just hate feeling this way, i just wish i was normal... I was normal 11 months ago for all my life.... I just get there feeling it could be something else that's missing, I dunno sorry for posting this...

ReputationRep:
    okay listen to me there is nothing a gp can do for you except refer you, if you move gp's they will think your a hyprocondriact who wants to find a doctor to agree with her own diagnosis.
    Stay with your current gp and keep fighting they will listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my symptoms include, feeling of squeezing sensations in my mouth above gums and ride side of jaw (as if im wearing braces or having a string pulling my teeth back)... also light sensations in the throat and the same type of sensation on and off in my left side of chest...

I don't know..... I just hate feeling this way, i just wish i was normal... I was normal 11 months ago for all my life.... I just get there feeling it could be something else that's missing, I dunno sorry for posting this...
    i think you should listen to the doctor and a psychologist. they are professionals, the bit bolded sounds like depression even if you are unwilling to accept that fact.

ReputationRep:
    at one point, i thought i was have a stroke or heart attack....
    Apart from it being 24/7 pressure, the bit I've highlighted is textbook anxiety attack.

I kno what it's like to have difficult GPs, however, and the best thing you can do is change GPs. You say you're doing so, which is good. But, at the end of the day it might be psychological :shrugs:

ReputationRep:
    I've been living with symptoms all over my body...

first it started as headache, then it started as a constant 24/7 squeezing in the chest.... at one point, i thought i was have a stroke or heart attack.... worse feeling in my life but for some reason i am grateful for the life experience, I did a Echo-cardiograph like 1 month before it started happening and everything came back normal the GP said, i did an MRI - everything came back normal again.... I did a neck check and the doctor said it looked normal, I even did an X-ray scan and another small heart check i think.

GP says it's psychological, but he treats me like i'm crazy talks to me like I'm 10 years old.... and says stuff like last time i walked into to see him" Oooooo it's you What can WE do FOR U today"... It's really degrading/patronizing.

He has me go to a psychologist but i feel she really doesn't listen and interprets what i am going through...

I'm not a depressed person - but they are trying to convince me i am, I hardly get anxious - but they say i am...

I feel trapped, like perhaps there is something there missing... My symptoms don't come and go, they stay in my body 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and they consider this health anxiety...

Anybody got any advice on what i can do? I'm trying to move GP's but they are making it sorta hard, but I'm working on it.

I'll appreciate any advice whatsoever, thanks
    Classic case of being crazy.

I would say it is a anxiety disorder. How long have you been feeling like this? as I'm pretty sure if its more then year you would either be dead or near death or just psychological problems. I would go with the psychological problems.

ReputationRep:
    The teeth/jaw/headache thing sounds like a TMJ problem. Do you grind/clench your teeth? Is your jaw a little off? Perhaps you should see a dentist.

The tightness in your chest could be something to do with your back. Something could be just that little bit out of alignment. Something that might not be bad enough for an MRI scan to pick up. Do you have a poor posture? Sit at a computer a lot? Maybe go see an osteopath.

If the doctors aren't taking you seriously - go the alternative route.

ReputationRep:
    When all the standard tests come up normal, a "normal" GP will usually take the "psycho route". Quite often he is correct in doing so.
    If you have a feeling that this is not right, try thinking about what has changed since you were last fine. Did you have an illness? Were you treated for something, teeth especially? Did your circumstances in general change? ect ect.

If you can afford it, try an alternative such as has been suggested, i.e. osteopath or other.

I'm so confused... Do i stay with my GP and try to continue fighting with them? or do i try and move to another GP with the Same Issues, Do i raise money to see a private doctor/Osteopathy?.... I did see a dentist and he said i had an infection, but he said that it should have cleared... maybe i'll make another appointment to make sure it's not TMJ

Thanks for the advice.

(Original post by Simplicity)
    Classic case of being crazy.

I would say it is a anxiety disorder. How long have you been feeling like this? as I'm pretty sure if its more then year you would either be dead or near death or just psychological problems. I would go with the psychological problems.
    You sound just like my doctor

And maybe you + him are right..

But I'm suppose to just live with it? MY issue is, I've had no progress for a long time.. MY body's just become accustomed to it - It's almost become a distant and unrealistic dream to just have my normal self back as i just feel trapped.

ReputationRep:
    You sound just like my doctor

And maybe you + him are right..

But I'm suppose to just live with it? MY issue is, I've had no progress for a long time.. MY body's just become accustomed to it - It's almost become a distant and unrealistic dream to just have my normal self back as i just feel trapped.
    So yeah, you had it for ages? yet it doesn't show up on all the normal test.

Anyway, I got something like you. My throat hurts all the time and it doesn't feel normal, however all the obvious test says everything is okay. So yeah, you just have to live with it.

At the end of the day your going to die and there isn't really anything you can do about it. I have been feeling strange for ages i.e. 8 years espically my throat and thought I had a brain tumor. Anyway, I'm not dead.

There are somethings you just have to live with. Granted, I don't know why your so scared, is it death? As in reality everyone is dying. There is a gun holded to everyone heads but they just can't see it.

P.S. I can see what your getting at. I really wouldn't want to go back to normal, particulary since I was pretty dumb 8 years ago.

(Original post by Simplicity)
    So yeah, you had it for ages? yet it doesn't show up on all the normal test.

Anyway, I got something like you. My throat hurts all the time and it doesn't feel normal, however all the obvious test says everything is okay. So yeah, you just have to live with it.

At the end of the day your going to die and there isn't really anything you can do about it. I have been feeling strange for ages i.e. 8 years espically my throat and thought I had a brain tumor. Anyway, I'm not dead.

There are somethings you just have to live with. Granted, I don't know why your so scared, is it death? As in reality everyone is dying. There is a gun holded to everyone heads but they just can't see it.

P.S. I can see what your getting at. I really wouldn't want to go back to normal, particulary since I was pretty dumb 8 years ago.
    I'm not scared of the process of death, I'm scared of being denied things in life because of my so-called psychological symptoms, I'm not disabled, I'm not classed as someone with mental health issues and I'm not classed as normal... I'm not depressed and I hardly get anxious.... So where is my place on earth? hiding behind a I'm normal like you when I'm really not mask for my rest of my life?.

I don't want to escalate it further but what i will say is, I believe there's a fix for everything, I don't want to dispute it or debate it but that's my belief and that's probably why I'm having a hard time in this part of my life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not scared of the process of death, I'm scared of being denied things in life because of my so-called psychological symptoms, I'm not disabled, I'm not classed as someone with mental health issues and I'm not classed as normal... I'm not depressed and I hardly get anxious.... So where is my place on earth? hiding behind a I'm normal like you when I'm really not mask for my rest of my life?.

I don't want to escalate it further but what i will say is, I believe there's a fix for everything, I don't want to dispute it or debate it but that's my belief and that's probably why I'm having a hard time in this part of my life.
    I'm pretty sure if you shut up about your so called disease you won't be classed as mental. However, your symptoms clearly fit someone with health anxiety.

Again, there are some things you have to live with.

P.S. On a side note, if you are not scared of death you would have no fear hence you wouldn't mind not feeling normal, if that actually means something.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like a form of anxiety and the symptoms you feel are very real although hopefully not too harmful(if that makes sense) when i had anxiety I would have a racing heart, my fingers would lock, pins and needles in my arms, grinding teeth all sorts!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused... Do i stay with my GP and try to continue fighting with them? or do i try and move to another GP with the Same Issues, Do i raise money to see a private doctor/Osteopathy?.... I did see a dentist and he said i had an infection, but he said that it should have cleared... maybe i'll make another appointment to make sure it's not TMJ

Thanks for the advice.
    hope you get better :yes:

I have the exact same problems, the doc thinks they're just 'panic attacks' and I have to live with them. :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.