Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Advanced English this year, rather than resitting Higher. I struggled a fair bit with the Higher course, mainly with the close reading section, but I've been told that I could cope with the Advanced course. I got a C at Higher btw.

So does anyone have any tips for me coping & perhaps even doing well in the course? I'll need to get a pass at least for Primary Teaching at Edinburgh next year, so obviously I would really like to pass!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Work really hard on your dissertation, which optonal unit are you doing (creative writing, textual analysis or language study?)

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think your best bet would be re-sitting the Higher. Yes, Close Reading can be a difficult element to master. However if you spend a good amount of time reading quality pieces of writing you should be able to gain a clearer understanding of the more demanding CR passages. Surely an A at Higher English sounds a great deal better than a C at Advanced?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Becka132)
    I'm taking Advanced English this year, rather than resitting Higher. I struggled a fair bit with the Higher course, mainly with the close reading section, but I've been told that I could cope with the Advanced course. I got a C at Higher btw.

So does anyone have any tips for me coping & perhaps even doing well in the course? I'll need to get a pass at least for Primary Teaching at Edinburgh next year, so obviously I would really like to pass!

Thanks
    Hello. I think you can do advanced higher IF the section you struggled with at higher was close reading as you don't have to do any close reading at higher (unless you do the texual analysis option instead of creative writing of language study). You definately need to be good at essays for AH. Make sure you put in lots of effort for the dissertation as it is worth 40% and you get basically the whole year to do it. Reconsider if you didn't get around 19 + for your higher essays.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think taking advanced higher English is a good idea if you got a C in a higher....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acas13)
    Work really hard on your dissertation, which optonal unit are you doing (creative writing, textual analysis or language study?)
    Creative writing I believe, thats what we started on before the holidays anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC)
    I honestly think your best bet would be re-sitting the Higher. Yes, Close Reading can be a difficult element to master. However if you spend a good amount of time reading quality pieces of writing you should be able to gain a clearer understanding of the more demanding CR passages. Surely an A at Higher English sounds a great deal better than a C at Advanced?
    I'm not sure I'd even be allowed to resit higher this year because I got a C, which is a pass, rather than a D, which is a fail. An A at higher does sound better than a C at advanced, but a C at advanced does come with more UCAS points than an A at higher, so I suppose it depends on what way I want to look at it :-\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Do you really think taking advanced higher English is a good idea if you got a C in a higher....?
    In all honesty, no not really, but I need to do something, as I need English for uni. I doubt I'd be allowed to resit higher as I passed, so it would depend on numbers etc for the higher classes, and from what I heard there has been a lot of people who have got a D/no award in English this year, so they would be given priority over me for the higher class.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, no not really, but I need to do something, as I need English for uni. I doubt I'd be allowed to resit higher as I passed, so it would depend on numbers etc for the higher classes, and from what I heard there has been a lot of people who have got a D/no award in English this year, so they would be given priority over me for the higher class.
    Quite a few people at my school resat who were in the same position as you. My school might be bigger than yours though.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few people at my school resat who were in the same position as you. My school might be bigger than yours though.
    Yeah we do seem to have a fairly small 5th & 6th year this year for some reason. I'm going into school tomorrow to change my timetable for next year, so I will go and ask what I'd be best doing, then go from the reccomendations from my teachers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you just need it for your uni course but don't actually want to pursue it as a career or anything then I recommend resitting higher. In all honesty you have a better chance of getting a better grade at higher than passing advanced higher.

ReputationRep:
    Creative writing I believe, thats what we started on before the holidays anyway.
    Well I would suggest doing the advanced higher then. Close reading/textual analysis tends to be something which you either get or you don't and even with a lot of time and effort it can be tricky for people to improve in. If you are doing the creative writing element in the advanced higher course you can pretty much avoid close reading and textual analysis altogether (apart from a NAB maybe?)

ReputationRep:
    This time last year, I got a C in Higher English and you gave me the same advice. I took the Advanced Higher Course and got a B.

Id much rather have my AH grade than Higher. And the Uni's said it appealed a lot more than resitting Higher. They dont care much for resits.

OP . . . DO Advanced Higher! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xandertho)
    This time last year, I got a C in Higher English and you gave me the same advice. I took the Advanced Higher Course and got a B.

Id much rather have my AH grade than Higher. And the Uni's said it appealed a lot more than resitting Higher. They dont care much for resits.

OP . . . DO Advanced Higher! :yep:
    Fair enough :p: I just think those who will find higher hard will definitely find advanced higher english hard.
    I know someone who took advanced higher history who failed higher, and ended up dropping it even before we did the nab. That was a silly idea though.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Hey. Im in exactly the same position as you. This time last year, I got a C in Higher English and wasnt sure whether or not to do Advanced Higher.
    I done Advanced Higher and ended up getting a B.

The course is much more pleasant and interesting than Higher, and the jump isnt that great.

And secondly, I also needed it for Primary Teaching! How similar, eh.
    At my Interviews, they said they preferred me having the Advanced Higher than resitting. But, it's upto you; and whatever you do, best of luck. :yep:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Don't leave your dissertation till last.
    Chris Martin did and he got a first-class degree. :holmes: You've not even sat it yet, Ape!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was in much the same position as you; I achieved a C at Higher (2% away from a B) and so I decided just to sit Advanced Higher. I think the Advanced Higher course has much more advantages over the Higher course e.g. you know that you are going to get a question on the texts you've studied (whether or not you can answer it is up to how well you revise!) I achieved a C at Advanced Higher and I wouldn't swap it for a higher grade at Higher. It is a very enjoyable course but demanding at times. Make sure you put in the work and you'll definitely pass! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Back to school today, and my new timetable is FINALLY sorted all long last! I'm definetly attempting the Advanced Higher course now - I spoke to the head of department, and she said that she strongly recommended not resitting the Higher as I already have a pass (which was 3 marks away from a B, how disappointing!!), she said there was a few people this year who resat their Higher who origianlly had a C, and they ended up with either a C again, or a D, so obviously not really worth the time and effort over the year. Think it's going to be a LOT of hard work this year, but I'm more than willing to put the work in, and hopefully will get a good grade at the end of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xandertho)
    Hey. Im in exactly the same position as you. This time last year, I got a C in Higher English and wasnt sure whether or not to do Advanced Higher.
    I done Advanced Higher and ended up getting a B.

The course is much more pleasant and interesting than Higher, and the jump isnt that great.

And secondly, I also needed it for Primary Teaching! How similar, eh.
    At my Interviews, they said they preferred me having the Advanced Higher than resitting. But, it's upto you; and whatever you do, best of luck. :yep:
    Also, I "done" advanced higher. That's some pretty good English skills there

It's up to you if you decide to take it though, it won't be easy.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I "done" advanced higher. That's some pretty good English skills there

It's up to you if you decide to take it though, it won't be easy.
    Not to worry eh. My English must be good enough for an AH B. Thanks for the correction all the same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.