Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically i was just wondering what your opinions were on the whole 'friends with benefits' thing?

Is it ok for people to use each other solely to satisfy their sexual needs and would a guys respect for a girl decrease because of this?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's fine, as long as both parties know it's only sex. It doesn't usually go so smoothly though, one person usually gets attached to the other.

As for respect, not necessarily. Only in the same way as you might lose respect for him. True, the woman is usually seen in a worse light than the guy by anyone else that might find out about it, but you're both doing the same thing, so don't worry about it If you want to do it, go for it and have fun.

ReputationRep:
    I think Friends with Benefits is a good thing, if it's something you can see yourself doing however there are downsides which need to be pointed out.

Normally one develops a further attraction and wants more from the other than just sex, when this happens it needs to be re-evaluated as to whether it is worth it anymore.

Also respect can be lost on both sides however you both should know what you are getting into. Ground rules should be made in order to know where you both stand.

If it is something you are thinking about doing then be sure you are comfortable with it and it's something that you want.

ReputationRep:
    If it is made clear on the off what is going on, so there is no chance of one party getting confused and blurring the boundaries.

I dont think it would really decrease the opinion of someone, to be honest not many people shout abour their sexual exploits, well i certainly dont its rather a private matter, so if your worried keep it to yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I disagree with the idea for several moral reasons but I suppose I may have a different perspective if I had a friend with benefits.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with them, imo.
    Sex shouldn't just be sex.

My respect of a guy would decrease. But then again my morals are sometimes a little higher than they should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    I don't agree with them, imo.
    Sex shouldn't just be sex.

My respect of a guy would decrease. But then again my morals are sometimes a little higher than they should be.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Why not?
    imo

Because I see sex as something shared between you and someone you care about a lot. It's an intimate thing between two people. Not just a means of relief and pleasure between horny teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    Fine. Till the girl falls for you, and if you don't love her, it then becomes *****. End of.

ReputationRep:
    it's very tacky.

ReputationRep:
    imo

Because I see sex as something shared between you and someone you care about a lot. It's an intimate thing between two people. Not just a means of relief and pleasure between horny teenagers.
    Ok. I think that sometimes sex can be like the first one, and sometimes it is like the second. Engaging in the meaningless sex because it is pleasurable doesn't mean you are unable to fully appreciate the special loving sex when you are in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    whats this friends with benefits? do you pay each other's car fuel?
    do you pay each other's rent?
    do you claim unemployed allowance :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think 9 times out of 10 it ends badly- I've never been in that situation but from what I've heard and seen, at least one person gets attached and it ends badly. In my opinion you either want to be with someone or you don't, you don't want to not be with them but still have sex with them. Obviously people think differently but I think it's a tricky situation.

Surely it would desensitise sex (in the mental context) with somebody you love?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Ok. I think that sometimes sex can be like the first one, and sometimes it is like the second. Engaging in the meaningless sex because it is pleasurable doesn't mean you are unable to fully appreciate the special loving sex when you are in that situation.
    Indeed, but I think it's hard to acknowledge that BUT only be friends with benefits.

I'd get too emotionally involved personally.

ReputationRep:
    One Tree Hill ye.

I am ashamed that I know that.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, but I think it's hard to acknowledge that BUT only be friends with benefits.

I'd get too emotionally involved personally.
    Yeah, I think it is something that doesn't work for everyone.
    If it does work for people though I don't see that they are doing anything wrong. Nobody gets hurt, everyones a winner.

ReputationRep:
    i would say it was fine, as long as both were clear, however, u should be careful not to do it with someone who will get emotionally attached

ReputationRep:
    meh, no harm done eh. let them do what they want.

ReputationRep:
    yeah why not..?i'm ok with friends with benefits cos i think i'm too young for anything more serious...or maybe i just haven't met a nice guy who i'd want a more serious relationship with..?!?!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.