Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People saying it's bad are the ones that clearly have never had a friend with benefits before

ReputationRep:
    depends on how many you have,

and you will have to becarefull as well you dont want to feel as u have been used

ReputationRep:
    FWB? Yes they're good, but one person usually develops feelings so they nearly always have bad endings.

For me? No more, thanks ^ happened.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean if I don't sleep with a particular friend, they would be a "friend with drawbacks"?

(Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    But then again my morals are sometimes a little higher than they should be.
    What's immoral about it, exactly? I can't see any moral issues with a consenual sexual partnership. It may disgust you, but that has nothing to do with morality whatsoever, unless of course you're religious...

Also, this whole "one of you will want a relationship" thing seems like a lot of BS to me. I'll bet there are lots of successful arrangements like this between sensible people who aren't clingy and emotionally dependent. It seems like the perfect thing for people who just sex without the relationship, and I can't see anything wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What's immoral about it, exactly? I can't see any moral issues with a consenual sexual partnership. It may disgust you, but that has nothing to do with morality whatsoever, unless of course you're religious...

Also, this whole "one of you will want a relationship" thing seems like a lot of BS to me. I'll bet there are lots of successful arrangements like this between sensible people who aren't clingy and emotionally dependent. It seems like the perfect thing for people who just sex without the relationship, and I can't see anything wrong with it.
    :yy:
    You got it there.

ReputationRep:
    Being me, I'd probably end up falling head over heels for the friend of whom there was said benefits.

ReputationRep:
    If only i cud be that friend!

ReputationRep:
    Eeh i think having sex with a condom is a casual thing.

When you're not using a condom, you BETTER be in a relationship or incredibly drunk.... or someone who hasn't had sex in years.. lol.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had a "friend with benefits" for a few years now, and we have called it off everytime one of us gets into a relationship...i just finished with my boyfriend of 2yrs like a month ago and it was easily started up again. neither of us want anything, but we can have a really enjoyable night out together and fun when we get back, we can have good conversations and enjoy one anothers company, and are both physically attracted to one another, just not emotionally. i think the key is to not see each other too often, give it at least a week or so between meeting.

ReputationRep:
    I think me and this guy are heading down the FWB pathway, although I'm not actually sure. We used to date (..lolz, date), but it didn't work out, then over the past year we've been on and off again, meeting up, going to the cinema blah blah, and him coming home after a night out to mine and sleeping together. It happens like every month, or sometimes longer. But the reason we "broke up" to begin with, was because hes got emotional baggage, but now I'm going to uni in a month, I don't actually care, and so we both know a relationship wouldn't work..so we just play about casually. We text, we meet up, we watch movies, we have sex, we cuddle, I go home. Would you class this as fwb, or an extreeeeemely casual, open relationship? Cus I just have no idea (not that I actually care or anything) it would just be interesting to know!

ReputationRep:
    It can work, it just depends on the people, and whether or not they can assure one another that there will be no possibility of them having an emotional connection - and that it's just sex.

Although it's not something I'd like to do myself, I'm too much of an emotional person to not end up developing feelings of some sort xD To me, sex has to be emotional, I prefer to have the comfort of knowing that the person I have sex with loves me as well as me loving them. I guess it's just because I have a closed mind about the whole thing, but I still think it's a possible thing to do, it's just not for me

ReputationRep:
    noooooo problem with the whole thing ... as long as both know whats going on.
    if not it'd get rather annoying ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epleroyk)
    it's very tacky.
    Yeh i have to be totally honest and say i agree with you on this, as people have mentioned before one of you will end up wanting more, ive been there many times, and no matter how much af an ******* i want to be - as in just start shagging someone and not let it go anywhere - i just cant as im just one of those people you might call a needy c u ....

- I can however shag someone once and then forget about it, its when it starts becoming a regular thing.

But thats just me, i know a few people who do this, it just depends on the people doing it, and as for the moralfags in here, what the **** is your problem. Oh sorry, i forgot that sex was like going to the moon or somehting jesus christ, i really dont want to get to 30 and think, ********** i wish id of slept about a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.
    It will end in tears.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.