Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

straighteners or curlers? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which creates better curls?
    Straighteners
    50.00%
    Curling tongs
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    I want to curl my hair, but I'm not sure if it would be better to go for curling tongs or the thin ghd straighteners. I have the thick ghds at the moment and they're really good so I'd be happy to go with ghd again, but which give the better curls? Also, I've never used straighteners to curl hair before so which would be easier?

ReputationRep:
    i find the thicker GHDs easy enough to use for curls and the website has tutorial clips but I personally think the curls last longer if you use curling tongs. I have a couple of sets but the best were the babyliss curl n press ones which were really cheap and they work a treat and are really easy to use. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    curls stay in better (for me) when i use straighteners.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer curling tongs, they give a much more natural ringlet curl, which then drops into a lovely natural 'wave'. I find GHDs to give a really artificial curl - I can always tell if someone's used straighteners as opposed to tongs.

ReputationRep:
    My hair is really thick and takes forever for me to use curling tongues, and it's really hard for me to manage on my own for some reason o_0
    So I use straightners because I find it less time consuming..
    I would love to be able to do a whole head with proper curlers though :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Straighteners are actually really easy to curl with - I always struggled with my barrel and ringlet curlers, but I find it so easy to curl using straighteners, and there are countless videos on Youtube to show you how! There's also the advantage that if you do a slightly dodgy curl, it's really easy to sort out with straighteners.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say curling tongs, because it takes a lot of practice with GHDs to be able to do them well, and I think it takes longer especially for thick hair.

And i always burn my fingers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.