Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    I was watching a program and it said that halls was a great place to stay as a cheap get away. Me and my boyfriend go to london every year for a few night, hotels are always really expencive was wondering if it was true and you can stay in halls for a week or so ?

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure you can. I remember doing a summer course in dublin, where guest also stayed in halls with us. Like a hotel really...

ReputationRep:
    Yes quite a few uni's rent out halls in the summer when they are empty or are used as accommodation for conferences and other events. Best to contact the uni you were looking to stay at to see if they offer this.

ReputationRep:
    Yup! I stayed in London uni halls when I went to stay in London with my mum.
    Prices are quite good and the rooms are clean, no meals provided though of course.

If you don't mind too much about where you stay I'd suggest a youth hostel (google YHA) they're cheaper than halls and you get breakfast, they're actually quite nice too.

Edit: I forgot to say, the uni halls I stayed in were Kings College London halls, you can find it somewhere on their website.

ReputationRep:
    yeah as far as I know you can do so. I know Colleges in Oxford and Cambridge offer them as tourist holiday 'hotels' offering the chance to stay in the colleges for a price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    Yup! I stayed in London uni halls when I went to stay in London with my mum.
    Prices are quite good and the rooms are clean, no meals provided though of course.
    Thanks for your reply everyone! I just had a look at the king college website but it doesnt give to much information. Do you know how much the room was per night. All it says is for a short stay its £40, But is that per night or is it for a few days ?
    What is it like staying in the halls? When me and my boyfriend go to london we pay £150 for 2 nights in a travel lodge!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it's DEFINITELY cheaper than a travellodge then!
    I can't remember exactly how much and it might have changed since but it was about £20-£30, maybe less.
    I think it depends on the halls you choose, I tried looking through but couldn't find any definite prices, best to call them. Other unis do this too though so if you can find one at KCL, have a look at UCL!
    It's not like a hotel, it's just a standard student room really but it is clean and they provide towels and a few things. It depends on whether you'll be spending long there or not.
    Have a good time!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.