Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kosovo and Armenia - In Layman's Terms please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm looking to find out more about the situations in Kosovo and Armenia but I'm getting a bit swamped with info and I don't even know where to start.

Could someone please outline what the problems are in each area for me? I understand that both conflicts are based on fights for independence - from what I can gather it seems that native Albanians want Kosovo to become independent but Serbs don't want that, and that Armenia and Azerbaijan are arguing about another region, but other than that I'm struggling.

I'd also like to know about the legal aspects of each situation. I've seen some websites discuss how there's a tension there between justice and reconciliation, but could someone please clarifiy how this is the case?

This would be really appreciated guys - I want to get more interested in world affairs and I'm interested in finding out more about these situations but it's a lot to take in, so if someone could dumb it down for me and explain the basics a bit I'll have a starting point that'll let me research the rest myself.

Thanks chaps and chapesses.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Check out the useful website below for more info on the war. There are many articles, but you could try to find a lot of info, especially from the COLUMNS all the way below from the writers. Hope this helps.

www.newkosovareport.com

ReputationRep:
    During the run up to, and after the break down of the USSR, Armenia and Azernaijan were fighting for the Nagorno Karabakh region. It belongs to Azerbaijan (Armenia doesn't share a border with it) however i populated with Armenians. Azerbaijan was stronger during the war however Armenia managed to win and not only does it control that area but also around 10% of Azerbaijan proper. Azerbaijan has a much stronger military now, funded by oil revenues, if there was a war, Armenia would be no match for Azerbaijan, however, Russia secures the Armenian border and airspace.

The Nagorno Karabakh region now has its own army and has claimed independance which is only recognised by Armenia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh_War

The kosovo war happened because Kosovars are Muslim and Albanian, they wanted to seperate from the Christian serbia, so there was a war between Kosovar insurgnats and Albnainan soldiers vs. Serbia. They wanted independance, but serbia fought them, Nato also joined and carried out a bombing campaign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_War

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome stuff, thanks guys. Rep on the way.

ReputationRep:
    After end of Soviet Unian Azerbaidjans attaked Armenian villages and killed a lot of civilians.Now these two nations are bloody enemies.All Armenian chaps who want to study go to Russia,because they don't have opportunity to study at home.At home after the school they get guns and like they say:"go to fight against Azers".I have many Armenian friends,they really hate Azerbaidjanes.
    Watch this:
    "To be born Armenian is honour"
    "To be Armenian is duty"
    "To die for Armenia immortality"
    At the end "Our struggle is Saint and we'll win".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Ri5higgi8
    Kosovo.
    Albanians are not native.They are political migrants who killed native Serbian population.
    This is real Kosovo land history.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twVAiCHB_oY

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.