Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting pretty worried now, I've left high school, and I'm going to Sixth Form in September. I'm going to be studying Further Maths, Computing, Economics & Politics.

I've been thinking about what I want to do when I "grow up" for quite a while, but I can't quite decide.

I'm interested in Computers, Maths and financial things, so ideally I'd like a career in them.

Would anyone be able to recommend a career to me? I don't want to get to University and then graduate having absolutely no idea about what I want to do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm going into my third year at university and I don't know what I'm doing. Plenty of people graduate and don't know what they're doing. People are boring if they know what they're doing for the next 50 years from the age of 16.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
    life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
    wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
    olds I know still don’t.

Just make sure you wear some sunscreen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I'm going into my third year at university and I don't know what I'm doing. Plenty of people graduate and don't know what they're doing. People are boring if they know what they're doing for the next 50 years from the age of 16.
    This is very ture!
    Im in my 2nd year a univeristy and i have no idea what i want to do when i 'grow up', At least you know what direction you want to go in i have no idea at all! I dont really want to be in education much longer so i need to start thinking myself! Scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    People are boring if they know what they're doing for the next 50 years from the age of 16.
    Hey! Well, I didn't know at 16. I just thought and continue to think at 17. Do I count as boring? My work will be varied, I promise you.
    ~
    @OP, you have a year or so to think about this, yes? Don't rush, and if it comes down to you REALLY not knowing by the end of it, you could take a gap year and think about it. No use starting and then dropping out because you picked the wrong course!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Hey! Well, I didn't know at 16. I just thought and continue to think at 17. Do I count as boring? My work will be varied, I promise you.
    Depends what you're doing. I'd miss the spontaneity.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know really, I have a few ideas like you but when I was 16 I wanted to be a doctor, a pilot, a lawyer, an agent, a journalist, an author, a politician, a chef, a psychologist...etc.

ReputationRep:
    you've still got a couple of years, dont worry too muh yet. Im meant to be going to uni in a couple of months but i have no idea what i want to do. read up on some careers. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdrans)
    I'm interested in Computers, Maths and financial things, so ideally I'd like a career in them.
    Economics/financial statistics seems up your street. Theres a lot fo computers involved too, afaik.

Just get a degree in that sort of thing first. No need to think about careers yet, they have great career advisers in Uni, just play to your strengths/interests and see where it takes you
    (needless to say, most with a good degree in this area are going to make good money doing this sort of stuff anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LincolnHawk)
    Don't worry, the best thing to do is take on your favourite subject to degree I would think. I'm good at Media and I enjoy it. I've chose to take it at degree, and into a career within media. I only decided on Media after lower 6th!
    I don't think so! (Well, not without thinking seriously about it.) What about subjects OP might be interested in that he doesn't currently study? Or the level/topic of teaching is completely different from A-Level to degree? :\

It's a nice idea, don't think I'm having a go. I just think it's better to look closely at other options as well. :p:

ReputationRep:
    A tutor said to me that I shouldn't think of the career just yet but pick a subject I am passionate about and things will pan out in the end...or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdrans)

Would anyone be able to recommend a career to me? I don't want to get to University and then graduate having absolutely no idea about what I want to do.

Well there are lots of careers involved in all three of those areas. What sort of thing would you like to be doing on a day-to-day basis (travelling, meeting new people, working in an office, etc) ?

ReputationRep:
    It's OK not to have it a all worked out by 16 or even 25. God, I know I dont!

Just go with the flow. But remember to just take advantage of all the opportunities that may come your way (work exp., placements). These will give you a good idea of what you may or may not like, what you're good at etc. So choose a subject that you are passionate about and see where life takes you.

ReputationRep:
    I found this website very useful, www.prospects.ac.uk

There is a 'What jobs would suit me?' section under 'Jobs and work'. Fill in some basic personality type tests and it matches your attributes to career area's which require those attributes.

To get the best out of the website I'd recommend having a good thorough browse and maybe go back to it every so often.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24 and have only just discovered the type of thing I want to do as a career (long term). Something to do with languages. :yes: Even then, it's still pretty vague. It also means I have to go back to College, and then hopefully University.

So yeah, you're not alone. Many of my friends were settled into things by the time they were 20, some of them even with children and wives by 21-22. It used to get me down a lot but I have realised everyone is different. Some people don't discover what they want to do until they're in their 20s and 30s, later even. And it's not uncommon from what I've seen, that people reach their 30s having been stuck in a career since they were 16 and find they drastically want to change things because they are really bored/burnt out/depressed.

16 is still ridiculously young... it's good that you're thinking about what you want to do (I really didn't care about it when I was that age), but you shouldn't let it worry you. Enjoy the rest of your holidays, you'll find your thing eventually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.