Turn on thread page Beta

Does the university really matter? watch

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that Bob doing X degree at Oxford is in "far" a better position than John doing X degree at '500th best university in the world', or is the person the most important thing in the case of a job interview?

In other worlds would Bob benefit more than John simply because of where he got his degree from?

ReputationRep:
    A 2-2 from Oxford would be considered much worse than a First from, say, Manchester. So, not nearly as much as your success at any uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Would you say that Bob doing X degree at Oxford is in "far" a better position than John doing X degree at '500th best university in the world', or is the person the most important thing in the case of a job interview?

In other worlds would Bob benefit more than John simply because of where he got his degree from?
    Assuming Bob and John are absolutely identical in every other way, and have lived 100% identical lives, then yes, Bob's degree may benefit him.

ReputationRep:
    Original thread is original, use the search function.

ReputationRep:
    Well you may as well try hard and go to the one with the better reputation. Whether it will advantage you or not is debatable, I'm not siding either way, but if you just went to the 'more reputable' then it's win-win isn't it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Assuming Bob and John are absolutely identical in every other way, and have lived 100% identical lives, then yes, Bob's degree may benefit him.
    By how much would he benefit from his degree though?

ReputationRep:
    By how much would he benefit from his degree though?
    That would depend entirely on the employer/industry.
    If I were the employer (or, in fact, if he was applying for a job with my employer), not at all, but if he were to go for a banking job, probably far more.
    Degree content is a big thing, though. Degrees at the two universities will not cover the same things. Any good employer will take this into account too.

ReputationRep:

To a long extent. But there are other factors involved like degree classification. The person is less important then the uni... Bob would do better, provided he didn't totally **** up the interview so bad they hate him...

Dw though Oxbridge doesn't give you the job, and other people from other unis get jobs too

www.unistats.com

ReputationRep:
    What??????? cpj1987 saying the University does matter for employment? Can I expect the earth to start orbiting the moon anytime soon, and cows to start eating people?

ReputationRep:
    ...nothing really matters
    behind the shades of blue :thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    What??????? cpj1987 saying the University does matter for employment? Can I expect the earth to start orbiting the moon anytime soon, and cows to start eating people?
    :confused:

Of course it matters if everything else is EXACTLY the same, which is never, ever the case.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    Sorry, but every post of yours I've read on the subject attempts to convey the opinion that which University you attend is the least important factor in everything

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but every post of yours I've read on the subject attempts to convey the opinion that which University you attend is the least important factor in everything
    Yes, and?

ReputationRep:
    John may not even get an interview

ReputationRep:
    I think it definitely matters. No one admits it, but as soon as you hear someone say they studied at Cambrdige or Oxford you start seeing them in a different light and hold them with more regard, that someone who just mentions any university.

ReputationRep:
    University itself doesnt matter, the fact your asking how much university matters in a job interview just proves that youve bought into the bollox that university is all about getting a job, most graduate jobs these days could be done by non graduates...

University has never been simply a graduate factory producing obedient workers. Its only been in the past 10-20 years that university has changed into this form where education is no longer on the agenda, its all about the qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and?
    Well, I was thus expressing surprise at your post, which seemed to signal the opposite; however, your subsequent post seems to downplay it a lot, so I imagine you still think that having been captain of the chess team will get you further than having been to Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    It matters, but only to some extent. Of course a degree from Oxford is going to be seen as better than a degree from say DeMont, but the employer is likely to factor lots of other things into the equation.

Degree classification, course content, module scores (if asked for), past employment, work experience (employer, knowledge/experience gained, duration), attitude and personality, ability to demonstrate key skills (application of number, literacy, communication, ICT and whatnot) and probably your visual presentation on the day of interview.

If the Oxford grad is an unsociable spotty-faced teenager with the voice of a chipmunk on helium and doesn't know how to use a computer because their degree was in English, then they may not be all too suitable for a job on a checkout, unless it's in PC World of course.

Having a degree in any subject, let alone a relevant subject, may not even be desirable for the position applied for.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was thus expressing surprise at your post, which seemed to signal the opposite; however, your subsequent post seems to downplay it a lot, so I imagine you still think that having been captain of the chess team will get you further than having been to Cambridge
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    As I've said a million times- the evidence doing the rounds right now suggests that degree name matters- but only to split hairs between two very even candidates (which isn't a common occurrance), i.e. its the last thing they'd look at, or close to it- if indeed they even bothered. Even then, there's only very limited evidence to say that the Russell Group (for some reason they keep banding them together) have a distinct advantage over ex-polys, so I'd imagine its virtually impossible to say a Bristol would have advantage over a Newcastle or similar.

There are far too many variables to accurately predict these things and how they help you in later life, and there certainly isn't a sliding scale or hierarchy either. Far more important is the skills you develop at university and how you come across to employers. Drawing a correlation between more staff of top companies having attended certain universities is pretty futile.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.