Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amam)
    I think it definitely matters. No one admits it, but as soon as you hear someone say they studied at Cambrdige or Oxford you start seeing them in a different light and hold them with more regard, that someone who just mentions any university.
    I don't.

Anyway, OP, for the most part (unless you are going into investment banking or law) the university name won't really matter. Your degree classification, experience, CV and performance at interview/assessment centre will be what really matters.

ReputationRep:
    it'd get him to the interview. after that it's all person

ReputationRep:
    The opinion that which uni you go to matters seems to be perpetuated by people who have not yet been to uni and haven't yet graduated and been into the working world where, funnily enough for around 80% of the times top 100 graduate employers it does not matter what uni you went to, and even moreso, what degree you did. I'm an management consultant with one of the big 4, and i studied art history at a uni that floats between top 10, just, and top 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    John may not even get an interview
    I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaager)
    University itself doesnt matter, the fact your asking how much university matters in a job interview just proves that youve bought into the bollox that university is all about getting a job, most graduate jobs these days could be done by non graduates...

University has never been simply a graduate factory producing obedient workers. Its only been in the past 10-20 years that university has changed into this form where education is no longer on the agenda, its all about the qualification.
    You haven't understood, I used a very simple example, however the question remains the same.

ReputationRep:
    REPORTED FOR BEING DUPLICATE!!!

ReputationRep:
    For the bajillionth time, it depends on the job. If they want to work in a hedge fund for example, John won't stand a chance of even getting an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    REPORTED FOR BEING DUPLICATE!!!
    Are you serious? If so: :rolleyes: .

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a barrister there is a huge bias towards oxbridge students. Just look at the stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    You haven't understood, I used a very simple example, however the question remains the same.
    I understood fine, but the question is completely contary to the point of university.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I think its more about your classification and personal skills that are specific to the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    It matters, but only to some extent. Of course a degree from Oxford is going to be seen as better than a degree from say DeMont, but the employer is likely to factor lots of other things into the equation.

Degree classification, course content, module scores (if asked for), past employment, work experience (employer, knowledge/experience gained, duration), attitude and personality, ability to demonstrate key skills (application of number, literacy, communication, ICT and whatnot) and probably your visual presentation on the day of interview.

If the Oxford grad is an unsociable spotty-faced teenager with the voice of a chipmunk on helium and doesn't know how to use a computer because their degree was in English, then they may not be all too suitable for a job on a checkout, unless it's in PC World of course.

Having a degree in any subject, let alone a relevant subject, may not even be desirable for the position applied for.

This is the post that all members of TSR should read. All of that is the truth. People should pay attention.

ReputationRep:
    no. Employers look at what level degree you achieved and what work experience you have as well as references, performance at interview ect. It is a commonly held belief on TSR that which university you go to matters because most people on here go to the top end of the scale however if you go out and speak to some of the employers at big companies then you will find the vast majority of them don't actually care.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked at the outpouring of sense by most of you on here. Just you wait until the prestige whores get wind of this...

ReputationRep:
    its impossible to answer that question.

for a few reasons:

1 of which (one that I don't has been mentioned yet)... you can't compare an oxbridge student and an ex-poly student on like-for-like terms. to get into oxbridge you need most of the traits employers are looking for. therefore, to an extent, it doesn't matter what degree one gets there, because they are likely (and I generalise here, so don't bite me) to have a load of the other traits employers like.

and come on, a 2.2 from oxbridge is obviously better than a 1st from a uni somewhere near the botttom.

its nieve to think it doesn't matter.

however, where it doesn't matter is between say, imperial and leeds. 2 good unis, 1 obviously better uni, but not massively better. in that case I imagine stuff like the class of degree matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazza558)
    A 2-2 from Oxford would be considered much worse than a First from, say, Manchester. So, not nearly as much as your success at any uni.
    Your sig is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    It varies hugely; some employers will discriminate greatly (although I'd imagine this is very rarely the case) whilst some employers will not even think about considering it.

As others have suggested, though, employers are probably only going to discriminate between candidates on the grounds of the university they attended when there is a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    its impossible to answer that question.

for a few reasons:

1 of which (one that I don't has been mentioned yet)... you can't compare an oxbridge student and an ex-poly student on like-for-like terms. to get into oxbridge you need most of the traits employers are looking for. therefore, to an extent, it doesn't matter what degree one gets there, because they are likely (and I generalise here, so don't bite me) to have a load of the other traits employers like.

and come on, a 2.2 from oxbridge is obviously better than a 1st from a uni somewhere near the botttom.

its nieve to think it doesn't matter.

however, where it doesn't matter is between say, imperial and leeds. 2 good unis, 1 obviously better uni, but not massively better. in that case I imagine stuff like the class of degree matters.
    no a first from oxford is the same as a first elsewhere when you speak to employers. If you got off the internet for a little bit and arrange to have some meetings with companies (most of them are fine doing it as long as you fit yourself around there timetable) you will find that the vast majority (95%+) don't care what institution you get the grade from they only care about the grade. (you can see this on job application forms they sometimes say you can only apply if you have at least a 2.1 but never put restrictions on the institution)

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone serious when they say it doesn't matter? Why would students even bother trying to get into the 'best' university they can if this was the case? Obviously, it depends on what kind of industry you're going into, but if, say, I wanted to go into Forensic Archaeology as a career (which I do), a 2:1 from Manchester would put me at an extreme advantage over someone who got a 2:1 from an ex-poly (can't think of one that does Archaeology off the top of my head!) It's a bloody hard field to get into, why would I not want to do the best I could to increase my chances of getting in, because even then there's no guarantee!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Is everyone serious when they say it doesn't matter? Why would students even bother trying to get into the 'best' university they can if this was the case? Obviously, it depends on what kind of industry you're going into, but if, say, I wanted to go into Forensic Archaeology as a career (which I do), a 2:1 from Manchester would put me at an extreme advantage over someone who got a 2:1 from an ex-poly (can't think of one that does Archaeology off the top of my head!) It's a bloody hard field to get into, why would I not want to do the best I could to increase my chances of getting in, because even then there's no guarantee!!!
    I'm afraid that is simply not true. as has been said numerous times in this discussion the university rarely matters. People who are yet to graduate are led to believe this by parents and teachers who want their children/students to go to more prestigious universities. Once you have graduated and gone through recruitment processes and spoken to recruiters you will realise that even a 2:1 is really all you need, and that is only to get your foot in the door as it were, to prove you are capable of working. Then it relies heavily on your extra-curricular skills, your cv, work experience and, although people don't like to admit it, personality. And before you criticse me for not knowing about archaeology, i studied art history, anthropology and archaeology at uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.