Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to study Geog this year.

I would just like to know whether Royal Holloway is considered to have the best Geography Dept in London other than UCL and LSE, who obviously wont be offering places come results day.

Is KCL considered to have a good course?

I am focused in the direction of human Geography.

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this your third thread? Honestly, you've made it clear you're not happy with your choice so just apply to King's through Extra. If I were you I'd focus more on campuses and location than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    I am going to study Geog this year.

I would just like to know whether Royal Holloway is considered to have the best Geography Dept in London other than UCL and LSE, who obviously wont be offering places come results day.

Is KCL considered to have a good course?

I am focused in the direction of human Geography.

Thankyou
    You're pretty much in the same boat as me... I would love to study a Geography course in London, preferably a BA course XD The only thing is I have a year to decide :p: Ive read that the BA Geography course at LSE is pretty much all Human Geography related... Not the kind of course im after as I would like it as close to 50/50 as possible... But like you say, there wont be any places available. After looking at the Geography University Rankings Table for 2010, Royal Holloway looks to be the overall best out of the two at 19th, with KCL 5 places behind at 24th. I know youd prefer to study at one of the two, but have you considered Queen Mary's (30th)? All I can say is do your research on the three courses, and decide which one attracts you the most. Anyway, there is not much in it in terms of standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Isn't this your third thread? Honestly, you've made it clear you're not happy with your choice so just apply to King's through Extra. If I were you I'd focus more on campuses and location than anything else.
    Yeah I took your advice on board last time. I appreciate you may not enjoy seeing me asking these questions all the time, but I have to make sure im doing the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    I think King's is very good for Geography. I don't think they'll be in Clearing this year though.
    Could I ask why you think this?

I have been told this year that the course is very undersubscribed. Plus, it was in Ucas Extra?

ReputationRep:
    Hasnt Ucas Extra Finished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geography-junkie)
    You're pretty much in the same boat as me... I would love to study a Geography course in London, preferably a BA course XD The only thing is I have a year to decide :p: Ive read that the BA Geography course at LSE is pretty much all Human Geography related... Not the kind of course im after as I would like it as close to 50/50 as possible... But like you say, there wont be any places available. After looking at the Geography University Rankings Table for 2010, Royal Holloway looks to be the overall best out of the two at 19th, with KCL 5 places behind at 24th. I know youd prefer to study at one of the two, but have you considered Queen Mary's (30th)? All I can say is do your research on the three courses, and decide which one attracts you the most. Anyway, there is not much in it in terms of standards.
    Thank you. The course at King's does suit me best out of those 3 I think. Are you going QMUL then?

ReputationRep:
    Hasnt Ucas Extra Finished?
    I'm not sure because if you do a Ucas course search, it still lists courses available in Extra starting 2009.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure because if you do a Ucas course search, it still lists courses available in Extra starting 2009.
    Yeah I noticed that, but officially it ended June 30th. Mmm it might be interested to ring up and ask ucas, then King's.

UCAS Extra ended in June.

What is your current position now? What offers do you have and how likely is it that you might exceed it?

If you exceed your current offer and KCL decides to take people through adjustment then you might have a chance.

You can read more about adjustment here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966

and if you have any more questions about how it'll work then just post here.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post20512843

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    What is your current position now? What offers do you have and how likely is it that you might exceed it?

If you exceed your current offer and KCL decides to take people through adjustment then you might have a chance.

You can read more about adjustment here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966

and if you have any more questions about how it'll work then just post here.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post20512843
    I know everything about it already. I think if they are in clearing, they will be in adjustment.

I know everything about it already. I think if they are in clearing, they will be in adjustment.
    I wouldn't say that's true although I'm not entirely sure.

ReputationRep:

Hey dude ,

I just sent you a private message which will interest you

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am actually transferring to do geography at Royal Holloway for my second year. I had a acouple of choices to make when i transferred but was actually recommened by my previous tutor to go there as it is well respected within the georgaphy academic community. Also some the well known academics in geography at the moment especially the human side are lecturers there and i was using their texts last year.

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    Hi

I am actually transferring to do geography at Royal Holloway for my second year. I had a acouple of choices to make when i transferred but was actually recommened by my previous tutor to go there as it is well respected within the georgaphy academic community. Also some the well known academics in geography at the moment especially the human side are lecturers there and i was using their texts last year.

Jamie
    Thats very true. I have been told that some of the lecturers are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. The course at King's does suit me best out of those 3 I think. Are you going QMUL then?
    Im not quite sure yet lol :p: Im still reading through prospectus' deciding which ones I should apply to.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing concrete, I've just heard Geography at King's being held in relatively high esteem.

I didn't know it was in Extra, though that doesn't surprise me. There are fewer places availible via Clearing this year though, so a reputed course at a great university like Kings may not be availible.
    It has been in clearing in recent years. Even though there are less places I am hoping it will be in this year To be honest it is not the best subject that King's College offers.

ReputationRep:
    True, but getting into any top 10-15 uni via Clearing can be difficult, regardless of course.
    Your right, we'll see I spose

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    Thankyou

They told me today that I can contact them on the day regardless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.