Turn on thread page Beta

oxbridge donts watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lets look at this from a different perspective. Not "how do you get into oxbridge", but "what shouldn't you do to get to oxbridge"?

I dont really know, but my guesses are:

1) appear to be a sad nerd with no life
    2) appear arrogant
    3) appear lazy

ReputationRep:
    4) Be late.
    5) Set fire to college/trash your room/something equally creative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnos)
    lets look at this from a different perspective. Not "how do you get into oxbridge", but "what shouldn't you do to get to oxbridge"?

2) appear arrogant
    3) appear lazy
    Although the first and perhaps in isolated cases, the second point, would apply to many Oxbridge tutors

ReputationRep:
    I got told by my head of 6th form that I should take my glastonbury photos to show them at interview to show how "well rounded" I am! I think thats a sure way of getting rejected!

ReputationRep:
    Be lazy? Yes! I am so rejected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilschild)
    I got told by my head of 6th form that I should take my glastonbury photos to show them at interview to show how "well rounded" I am!
    ?!?!

ReputationRep:

2) appear arrogant
    3) appear lazy
    DONT! Atatch your application fee in form of cash using a paper clip (I did this). UCAS where OK with it , but cambridge were sort of perplexed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    ?!?!
    quite.

ReputationRep:

2) appear arrogant
    3) appear lazy
    They might like a few of no. 1 as they will get firsts and get the college up the table...

(Original post by Alexander)
    They might like a few of no. 1 as they will get firsts and get the college up the table...
    we have very few people with no life. Dont get me wrong, there are some real sad *******s here, but those without a life usually are involved in something or another. Be it Choir, music, thesp, sports. OR the comsci sport of one handed internet surfing.
    Noice
    J

ReputationRep:
    my life comrases of sitting in front of my computer, the tv and going the pub.

how sad is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Be it Choir, music, thesp, sports. OR the comsci sport of one handed internet surfing.
    The choir actually think they do have a life though. At least, they get parties with free cocktails (which I gatecrashed last week) so it can't be all bad. It's the singing Messiah at 2am that I don't get :confused:

The Fellow living on the staircase next to mine is the epitome of no-lifeness though. Our two staircases are always the ones with all the musicians on them, so someone is always playing or singing. And he complains about the noise! Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but he chose to live there :mad: knowing there'd be musos all over the place. Loser. I don't think they're all like that though. I hope not anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I got told by my head of 6th form that I should take my glastonbury photos to show them at interview to show how "well rounded" I am! I think thats a sure way of getting rejected!
    I am not sure that I would recommend doing that...they probably aren't that interested!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll take those naughty photos my girlfriend took of me the other week.

D'ya think they'll be interested in looking at them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    4) Be late.
    5) Set fire to college/trash your room/something equally creative.
    What about setting fire to teachers?

ReputationRep:
    Y'know, I think they might object to that as well...and they're not teachers, they're Fellows (or something) :rolleyes:
    By all means burn the Fellow on the staircase next to me though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't say you want to work for, let's say "the Hoover Institute for Studies of War, Revolution and Peace" if there is any chance the admission tutors might be left-wing, and particularly not in an Oxford application due one week before the major American conservative think tank (will not name it) decides to go out publicly and say everything that's wrong with certain Oxford alumnae and Britain in general.
    Hypothetically speaking.

ReputationRep:
    Similarly don't say you are a member of the SWP.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Similarly don't say you are a member of the SWP.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Enlighten me, please.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Funshine)
    Enlighten me, please.
    http://www.swp.org.uk/

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.