Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seriously!? Do you have to retrain from stating your political beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Seriously!? Do you have to retrain from stating your political beliefs?
    Only if you're a political extremist/troublemaker/leech on the political system.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Only if you're a political extremist/troublemaker/leech on the political system.

So say Cambridge asked you about your opinions on Top Up Fees.. could you say you were against them because you though they would cause elitism?

ReputationRep:

So Hoover would be OK? How was I supposed to know that they were to declare war on Oxford alumnae...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    So say Cambridge asked you about your opinions on Top Up Fees.. could you say you were against them because you though they would cause elitism?
    Cambridge would almost certainly not ask you that. Even if they did there would be no problem giving that response because it can hardly be classed as extremeist. What I mean is you probably shouldn't shout it from the rooftops if you're involved in a really militant or violent far left or right group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    What about setting fire to teachers?
    There's this story going around about an applicant who went into an interview and the Fellow was reading his newspaper, not paying any attention to him. Then the Tutor just said to him: "Surprise me!" The applicant took his lighter, set fire at the newspaper and supposedly got in. But it's just a myth. So guys, no burning newspapers or, worse, the people reading them!!! One of my friends actually believed this story...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    There's this story going around about an applicant who went into an interview and the Fellow was reading his newspaper, not paying any attention to him. Then the Tutor just said to him: "Surprise me!" The applicant took his lighter, set fire at the newspaper and supposedly got in. But it's just a myth. So guys, no burning newspapers or, worse, the people reading them!!! One of my friends actually believed this story...
    Well my crazy tutor believes it too because he told it to us!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Well my crazy tutor believes it too because he told it to us!! lol
    I mean, which sane tutor would want to have pyromaniac student?!? Most of all since they've got to give them supervisions (or tutorials as they are called at Oxford).

There are so many myths about Oxbridge, one could write books on them. But most fade away after having been there. Except the one that it is a fabulous place to be, a that is the truth!!!

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is you probably shouldn't shout it from the rooftops if you're involved in a really militant or violent far left or right group.
    Sounds like good advice.

What about, hypothetically, if you had already implied that you were on the PS, what would the best thing to do in the interview?

EDIT: not to say of course, that i'm a member, or have anything to do with the SWP. <spits>

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, the lovely old interview myths! I think they're great, although my interview was disappointingly mundane. Some of the applicants for medicine in the year after got given/thrown (depends who you listen to!) a can of beans and asked to talk about them for one minute. On one of our first days, I met a very old ex-Fellow, and we were chatting about random interview rumours etc, and I mentioned the old rugby ball one (at a college which was rather competitive at rugby, the interviewer would throw a rugby ball at interview candidates as they came in - if they caught it, they got in, and if they threw it back, they got a scholarship) - he said he knew the man that used to do that. Disturbing. But I should think you'll be safe these days

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my interviewer told me that one - he said he was the Fellow it happened to - we were discussing all this last year, seach a bit and you should be able to find all the old myths

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh! Go Away!

ReputationRep:
    It's quite simple - you just don't read the threads with Oxbridge in the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Oh yes, the lovely old interview myths! I think they're great, although my interview was disappointingly mundane. Some of the applicants for medicine in the year after got given/thrown (depends who you listen to!) a can of beans and asked to talk about them for one minute. On one of our first days, I met a very old ex-Fellow, and we were chatting about random interview rumours etc, and I mentioned the old rugby ball one (at a college which was rather competitive at rugby, the interviewer would throw a rugby ball at interview candidates as they came in - if they caught it, they got in, and if they threw it back, they got a scholarship) - he said he knew the man that used to do that. Disturbing. But I should think you'll be safe these days
    That makes me feel a lot better, thanks Hopefully I will not be thrown my essay in my face and told that the lecturer's pet could have done better. I read a few interview reports from Oxbridge students on oxbridge-info.com and it seems like quite a few still get nast interviews. Anway, I'm going for St. John's, Cambridge, got my interviews on the 9th, they say their interviews are friendly so hopefully I should be ok. So hopefully I will be able to join the Chosen Few in October!!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.