Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Military Dad. Treats Me Like Soldier. Help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    My Dad was in the army for years and years. Since he was about 16/17.
    Now he's a teacher.

But since he left, he has treated me and my sister like we're in the army. Im 18 and my sister is nearly 17.

He barks orders at us. For example, if he wanted us to wash up, then walk the dogs, then tidy our rooms, he would say "Washing Up, Dogs, Room, Go, Now" That is generally how he speaks to us.

The general rule in our house is that we dont have an opinion. We are still children to be seen and not heard. He believes himself to be the 'Man of the House', in every capacity. Above even my Mum.

He regularly walks into our rooms without knocking, and says he can do so whenever he wishes because we dont need or deserve privacy. "This isnt your room. Its my room. I pay for the house"

As i was saying, he walks into our rooms regularly to 'Inspect' them. If theyre not clean enough, obviously he grounds us, or makes us do some other chores.

He often threatens to hit us, and on several occassions, has actually done so.

Its no use talking to him about this, because he is absolutely stuck in his ways. My sister and I have spent these last 10 years both accepting and rejecting his "orders". Both result in some form of severe punishment. (This can be taking the doors off of our rooms, or not letting us out of the house)

Mum sometimes helps and supports us in arguments, but most of the time, takes a backseat as she has been given the message throughout these years, that she is a lower status than my dad.

Help is needed Now. Please.

ReputationRep:
    You need to band together with your sister and mum, arm yourselves and resort to guerilla warfare.

Over and out.

ReputationRep:
    Gain a common interest and become "the favourite" thus earning yourself more freedom ect. At the end of the day your 18 and therefore should be treated like an adult. If all else fails, do as he commands and gain live easy until you go uni or say your going to join the marines

Also...if he "gets gobby" say he fought for freedom and all that shiz and that basically he has become a dictator.

I don't know. If my dad starts I just leave the house :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    If he hits you and your sister then that's out of order.

Tell him, as an 18 year old girl, you deserve privacy. He should accept that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    Gain a common interest and become "the favourite" thus earning yourself more freedom ect. At the end of the day your 18 and therefore should be treated like an adult. If all else fails, do as he commands and gain live easy until you go uni or say your going to join the marines
    Oh my god...

That...

Guinea Pig....

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

That's the funniest thing I've seen for days... You made my evening...

ReputationRep:
    that just sounds so unimaginably awful.

violence is totally unacceptable- threaten to report him, if he still does it- report him.

ReputationRep:
    Go to family counselling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    You need to band together with your sister and mum, arm yourselves and resort to guerilla warfare.

Over and out.
    LMAO! You seem to have got the general gist of things!

Today we're "Disgusting Pigs" in Dad's Eyes.
    All he does around the house is sit infront of the TV, drink and make the place a mess. So I said he was the one living like a pig.
    Oooohhh he didnt like that.
    "HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT YOU DISGUSTING LITTLE CREATURE!"

Needless to say, im punished.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god...

That...

Guinea Pig....

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's the funniest thing I've seen for days... You made my evening...
    ...awsome? No worries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparkyInLove)
    My Dad was in the army for years and years. Since he was about 16/17.
    Now he's a teacher.

But since he left, he has treated me and my sister like we're in the army. Im 18 and my sister is nearly 17.

He barks orders at us. For example, if he wanted us to wash up, then walk the dogs, then tidy our rooms, he would say "Washing Up, Dogs, Room, Go, Now" That is generally how he speaks to us.

The general rule in our house is that we dont have an opinion. We are still children to be seen and not heard. He believes himself to be the 'Man of the House', in every capacity. Above even my Mum.

He regularly walks into our rooms without knocking, and says he can do so whenever he wishes because we dont need or deserve privacy. "This isnt your room. Its my room. I pay for the house"

As i was saying, he walks into our rooms regularly to 'Inspect' them. If theyre not clean enough, obviously he grounds us, or makes us do some other chores.

He often threatens to hit us, and on several occassions, has actually done so.

Its no use talking to him about this, because he is absolutely stuck in his ways. My sister and I have spent these last 10 years both accepting and rejecting his "orders". Both result in some form of severe punishment. (This can be taking the doors off of our rooms, or not letting us out of the house)

Mum sometimes helps and supports us in arguments, but most of the time, takes a backseat as she has been given the message throughout these years, that she is a lower status than my dad.

Help is needed Now. Please.
    Your dad physically attacks you. This is unacceptable. I see you go to Newman College... can't you go somewhere else and move away from home (i.e. where your dad isn't?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparkyInLove)
    LMAO! You seem to have got the general gist of things!

Today we're "Disgusting Pigs" in Dad's Eyes.
    All he does around the house is sit infront of the TV, drink and make the place a mess. So I said he was the one living like a pig.
    Oooohhh he didnt like that.
    "HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT YOU DISGUSTING LITTLE CREATURE!"

Needless to say, im punished.
    I feel sorry for you and OP.

ReputationRep:
    get the rest of your family together (you cant do this alone) and tell him he cant treat you like that anymore

tell him its not the army anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I feel sorry for you and OP.
    Same Person

ReputationRep:
    Tell him that, as you're being treated like a soldier, you deserve to be equipped like one, and thus should have an assault rifle.Then you and your father can be involved in an "accident" with said weapon.

(on second reading I probably wouldn't recommend this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    get the rest of your family together (you cant do this alone) and tell him he cant treat you like that anymore

tell him its not the army anymore
    This. Tell him he's acting like a pig together. Maybe then he'll get the message. If not, legal emancipation! The threat of it alone should make him realise, ****, what have I done!? If it doesn't....then the guy needs help.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    wake up at 4am walk into your parents room, sound an air horn and shout. soldier, press ups, garden, now, move, move, move. and make him do like 2000. :hahaha:

I wish my dad was like that. But then I'm a boy. I suppose it could be quite smothering if you were a girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Tell him that, as you're being treated like a soldier, you deserve to be equipped like one, and thus should have an assault rifle.Then you and your father can be involved in an "accident" with said weapon.

(on second reading I probably wouldn't recommend this)

The Comedic aspect of this topic is lifting our spirits.
    If talking to him as a family doesnt work, we will have to survive on comedy like this until we can move out
    Thankyou

All my dad does is sit there like an impotent little child who doesn't exist

ReputationRep:
    you got yourself an MILITANT DAD.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.