Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Military Dad. Treats Me Like Soldier. Help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    wake up at 4am walk into your parents room, sound an air horn and shout. press ups, garden, now, move, move, move. and make him to like 2000. :hahaha:

LMFAO! My sister is now very keen on the idea of Joing TSR!

ReputationRep:
    You could be petulent and tell him if it's his house, he can sort it himself.

Take his bedroom door off and see how he likes it - its only 6 screws. Just put the tool into the slot and turn it anti clockwise.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, the cliches!! Band together and sort him out.

ReputationRep:
    The three of you could hide behind the sofa and throw grenades at him in the form of eggs / water baloons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparkyInLove)
    My Dad was in the army for years and years. Since he was about 16/17.
    Now he's a teacher.

But since he left, he has treated me and my sister like we're in the army. Im 18 and my sister is nearly 17.

He barks orders at us. For example, if he wanted us to wash up, then walk the dogs, then tidy our rooms, he would say "Washing Up, Dogs, Room, Go, Now" That is generally how he speaks to us.

The general rule in our house is that we dont have an opinion. We are still children to be seen and not heard. He believes himself to be the 'Man of the House', in every capacity. Above even my Mum.

He regularly walks into our rooms without knocking, and says he can do so whenever he wishes because we dont need or deserve privacy. "This isnt your room. Its my room. I pay for the house"

As i was saying, he walks into our rooms regularly to 'Inspect' them. If theyre not clean enough, obviously he grounds us, or makes us do some other chores.

He often threatens to hit us, and on several occassions, has actually done so.

Its no use talking to him about this, because he is absolutely stuck in his ways. My sister and I have spent these last 10 years both accepting and rejecting his "orders". Both result in some form of severe punishment. (This can be taking the doors off of our rooms, or not letting us out of the house)

Mum sometimes helps and supports us in arguments, but most of the time, takes a backseat as she has been given the message throughout these years, that she is a lower status than my dad.

Help is needed Now. Please.
    If you love your parents, put up with it till you move out.
    If you dont love your parents, get the **** outta their, and get a job.

ReputationRep:
    You are an adult and should move out. You don't need to live in that environment. You shouldn't be controlled and bullied like that.

ReputationRep:
    Yehhh Im hoping that me and My BF will be able to find a cheap place to live together after christmas.

*fingers crossed*.

I'll be having my sister over whenever she needs to get away lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparkyInLove)
    Yehhh Im hoping that me and My BF will be able to find a cheap place to live together after christmas.

*fingers crossed*.

I'll be having my sister over whenever she needs to get away lol
    try the air horn idea :awesome: i'd love to see his reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Since your 18 just **** off out of the house, you are an adult now and he cannot at all tell you what to do. And if he hits you threaten to call the police.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be leaving home soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Tell him that, as you're being treated like a soldier, you deserve to be equipped like one, and thus should have an assault rifle.Then you and your father can be involved in an "accident" with said weapon.

(on second reading I probably wouldn't recommend this)
    I like this one

OP surely there is someone you can go to guess if he hits you you could go to the police for gbh

Perhaps you could talk to a solicitor or someone in children's services in the council

ReputationRep:
    Threaten to join up yourself!! Go all army barmy him too!!! HAHA

ReputationRep:
    I say barricade your room and throw a revolution. Get your family on side as well. Be armed and dangerous.

Also if you can move out on your last day in the house do the horn idea would be legendary.

ReputationRep:
    Expecto Patronum? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    go commando :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Dear god don't come on here asking for advice from a bunch of snobby, pretentious teens; see if you can encourage your dad to try family counselling with the rest of you, it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you're gay, the shock will lower his guard, then take him from behind.

ReputationRep:
    Your 18 just go awol on his ass......

ReputationRep:
    You need to call his bluff. Next time he starts barking orders just tell him no, you need to show him he isn't in control of you, If he hits you, threaten to get the social services involved, or just hit him back, i mean come on dude your 18, if my dad was being a **** to my 17 year old sister for no reason and then hit her, id have no qualms about hitting him, with some kind of hard object. He has obviously gotten used to being treated like that in the Army, and then as he worked his way up the promotion ladder he got used to being a tyrant/bully.

tl:dr Man up and stand up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Dear god don't come on here asking for advice from a bunch of snobby, pretentious teens; see if you can encourage your dad to try family counselling with the rest of you, it's worth a try.
    The irony.. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.