Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Military Dad. Treats Me Like Soldier. Help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    The irony.. :rolleyes:
    My advice to go to a professional for advice is ironic :shot:
    can anyone here suggest something better other than jokes?
    aw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    You need to band together with your sister and mum, arm yourselves and resort to guerilla warfare.

Over and out.
    moron

ReputationRep:
    I come from a situation very similar to this - my father is still in the military however - ugh.

The yelling and the hitting is simply a form of power play that men use to intimidate. 1) Refuse to back down from your positions - if he is being unreasonable - solidly ask him for his reasons behind what he wants/asks - and make him actually tell you the "why" behind it. Don't let him escape from it by him saying that he is "in charge" or "the father". If he hits you - go to another adult - preferably your mum. And MAKE her do something and defend you. If she loves you - she will. If all these fail - start escaping - don't come home from Uni, go to friend's houses, don't call home, and simply cut him out of your life for a while. If he asks why - say "dad, you intimidate me and make me feel uneasy" - maybe he will start getting the message loud and clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threedaystar)
    I come from a situation very similar to this - my father is still in the military however - ugh.

The yelling and the hitting is simply a form of power play that men use to intimidate. 1) Refuse to back down from your positions - if he is being unreasonable - solidly ask him for his reasons behind what he wants/asks - and make him actually tell you the "why" behind it. Don't let him escape from it by him saying that he is "in charge" or "the father". If he hits you - go to another adult - preferably your mum. And MAKE her do something and defend you. If she loves you - she will. If all these fail - start escaping - don't come home from Uni, go to friend's houses, don't call home, and simply cut him out of your life for a while. If he asks why - say "dad, you intimidate me and make me feel uneasy" - maybe he will start getting the message loud and clear.
    Why are you attributing it to being behaviour that could only be made by a man?
    Sure OP's dad sees himself as being superior, but it may not instantly be because he's the only male in the household.
    Women aren't exempt from acting this way

ReputationRep:
    can imagine at 6am every morning "SQUUAAADD!! SQUAAAD SHUN!"...
    "but...but.."
    "STAND TO ATTENTION!!!!!"

but yeah on a more serious note lol the situation doesn't sound too good...you're 18 now you're a man, your sister isn't a child either...it's about time you really show what you stand for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Why are you attributing it to being behaviour that could only be made by a man?
    Sure OP's dad sees himself as being superior, but it may not instantly be because he's the only male in the household.
    Women aren't exempt from acting this way
    No I agree women can be very intimidating... BUT - I have also spent my whole life as the child of a military family. I know exactly how commanding officers (usually high ranking men) treat others around them (whether it is their own family or their troops under their command). I'll bet that the same would go for a high powered female officer, but those are just a little bit more rare.

So to be clear - it's a military thing - the intimidation tactics, etc...

urgh. im 18 and my mum used to hit me really often when i was a child and rarely did after i was sent to a boarding school at the age of 11(mostly cos i would hardly ever see her let alone live with her, so naturally the hitting cant be done while im not even at home! ha) then few days ago, she hit me on the arm and i was too disgusted for words that she even tried to bloody control me by violence (not that it hurt or anyth but the point in what she'd done) and i comepletely blew off my fuse and pushed her back as she hit my arm and started screaming and swearing at her. My mum was shocked and i don't think she wants to mess with me ever since.. i know your dad has been in the military and you being a girl and him being an ex-soldier would make it impossible for you to be in the same league as his- so i wouldnt attempt to counteract his violence but just somehow give him the message and shock him to the idea that you're not at the age to be tossed around anymore...

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow:

... Assassination?

wait, are you a guy?

ReputationRep:
    fix bayonets and charge at him... maybe dad will be proud of his little soldiers??

In reality, that really sucks sorry to hear that!

Sounds like your father has a rather large penis growing from his forehead. I know the sort very well.. in fact I live with one (my mother's boyfriend) unfortunately. He liked saying things like "if I wanted to I could beat you up" so one day I just lost it and beat him up infront of my mother... was pretty fun tbh and he hasn't really bothered me since. You're a girl though so it's obviously going to be a bit harder for you.. perhaps move out and make him miss you by ceasing contact with him?

ReputationRep:
    Blow things up. Gain his admiration.

ReputationRep:
    since both of u are girls... he shouldnt hit u.... go up to him and say " Dad, if u don't STFU i will join AL Qaeda" nah i am just joking.... u r 18 now... soon u will go to uni or move out of the house so don't sweat it... i mean u have beared his strictness for 18 years and now u need help? i dont think u do.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Sounds like your father has a rather large penis growing from his forehead. I know the sort very well.. in fact I live with one (my mother's boyfriend) unfortunately. He liked saying things like "if I wanted to I could beat you up" so one day I just lost it and beat him up infront of my mother... was pretty fun tbh and he hasn't really bothered me since. You're a girl though so it's obviously going to be a bit harder for you.. perhaps move out and make him miss you by ceasing contact with him?
    whoa sounds fun
    wish I'd been there!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_skater_jnoo_x)

but yeah on a more serious note lol the situation doesn't sound too good...you're 18 now you're a man, your sister isn't a child either...it's about time you really show what you stand for
    The OP is female. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Water-board him.

It's a difficult situation, but if he is set in his ways then there isn't much you can do to change an army man. Wait till uni then you'll get out of there.

ReputationRep:
    I think you won't change him now, so wait until you go to uni, move out, spend as little time at home as possible during the vacations, become financially independant as early as you can. Look into legal emancipation if you really can't wait. Good luck. It'll get sooo much better as you become independant, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    The OP is female. :rolleyes:
    O... LOOOOOOL!! SORRY OP !!!!!!!:sorry: :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    "But Da.."
    "Drop and give me 20 *****"

ReputationRep:
    Those here saying to move out etc...
    Yes, that's an option; but this leaves the 17yo daughter at home and the sole subject of it all.

If he ever hits anybody in the house again, threaten to call the Police, and then actually do it. I understand it may be hard for you to call the police on your own dad, but he needs a wake-up call that he can't treat his family the way he is doing.
    There's no easy answer, sorry. But you need to discuss with your mum and your sister about options; what can be done etc., and stick together.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.