Turn on thread page Beta

Jurassic Park, is it possible..and if it existed, would you ever visit it? watch

ReputationRep:
    so im watching Jurassic Park on itv2 at the minute, which got me wondering...so for all you scientists here, could a Jurassic Park ever be created now/in the future?

And for everyone else, would you ever visit it (im thinking they would convert the Peak District...) if you could?

Personally i'd have a job there, looking after the t-rex. How awesome would that look on your c.v?

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely want to go and visit but after a while - would be too worried some would somehow escape and kill people so until I know it's safe I wouldn't.

If it could have been done, it would have, so no, it can't be (now).

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the events of the film, no, no, seriously, just no.

ReputationRep:
    I would freaking love it if this actualy happend. I believe it could one day! There's always hope.

ReputationRep:
    There is a book around called 'The Science of Jurassic Park and the Lost World'. I've got a copy and although I haven't read it in about 18 months it basically said every step in the process of creating them would be much, much more difficult (if not impossible) than what was suggested in the movie. Pretty interesting read actually though.

If somehow it was created though would definitely visit.

The book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Jura.../dp/0060977353

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I very first watched that film (must have been at least ten years ago now) feeling absolutely terrified that it could actually happen. But I think I've read somewhere (can't remember where exactly, but somewhere) that the science between the premise is a little dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they found that mammoth perfectly frozen in ice and thought that it was possible to clone it, so I don't see why not if they found a suitable dinosaur somewhere.

Possible being the key word, here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah except when the velociraptor came out the bush right by my head I would not say "Clever girl"; I would snap its neck..

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely visit such a place.

As for the possibility... well, not any time soon, I wouldn't say.

It's very difficult to find well-preserved and complete sequences of DNA in such specimens, and without that, any genetic engineering and cloning would be a large uphill struggle. It would be a large uphill struggle anyway. In order to clone, you need a host, and the host usually has to be at least closely related to the species you are trying to clone. That's why dolly was born of another sheep, and not something else. We don't have any living dinosaurs at the moment, so finding a host for the development of a dinosaur would be difficult. I think birds are the most closely related to the dinosaurs, but I'm not sure if any of them are closely enough suited. And of course, birds and dinosaurs are hatched from eggs, and I'm not sure exactly how the whole cloning process works with such organisms...

Definitely a very difficult and complex problem.

ReputationRep:
    of course I would definitely visit it. About the possibility , i also dont find it possible at least not in the inmediate future , although when JP 1 came out , and explained in animation the "theory" on how they "revived" the dinosaurs , I really thought was possible , but now I know that It aint that easy.

Thanks for the link , initiation , I didnt know that such a book existed, definitely worth a look. Thanks once again.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think it is possible because i read something about scientists theoretically/able to bring back animals which are extinct through tissue samples. Of course there were some limitations and i can't remember the exact details but i'm sure it's possible

ReputationRep:
    As long as I can punch a t-rex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    As long as I can punch a t-rex.
    How would you get near its head? Or just punch the foot?

ReputationRep:
    No I dont think this is actually possible, the whole 'taking dna from insects in amber' is a myth as it is just the outer shell that is preserved. And they cannot take dna from any fossils as dna only survives a few million years and as the fossils are compacted underground many different dna has touched upon it, for example trees, plants, worms etc.
    I think maybe they could create something through messing around with dna from birds/chickens, but they'd never be the same.

But I guess Jurassic Park actually being real would be cool.

ReputationRep:
    Only if John Hammond was real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Only if John Hammond was real
    To stroke his beard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    To stroke his beard?
    Yeah, and to see that walking stick... the one with the cool mosqutio in the amber

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many iterations it would take for this thread to degenerate into a **** fest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noaksey)
    so im watching Jurassic Park on itv2 at the minute, which got me wondering...so for all you scientists here, could a Jurassic Park ever be created now/in the future?

And for everyone else, would you ever visit it (im thinking they would convert the Peak District...) if you could?

Personally i'd have a job there, looking after the t-rex. How awesome would that look on your c.v?
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    A real-life Jurassic Park would be so fecking awesome.

If I ever become a multi-millionairess, I am so funding this research.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.