Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I feel so guilty for having made so many thread for selfish reasons so I will make this as quick and concise as possible and thank you for an answer.

Over the holidays I plan to bolster my personal statement by getting work experience so I can get into LSE for actuarial science. I've even written on my CV that I'm prepared to work for free just to gain work experience over the holidays. I've applied to several banks and only 2 have replied in the last 2 weeks, both declining. Now, considering I'm not exactly qualified for anything with only my GCSEs, is it likely ANY of the 15 or so i've applied to will accept me for any sort of work experience? If not, how am I possibley meant to get work experience if I can't even get a job working at something at least half-related to actuarial work for FREE?

As an aside, does anybody know any decent books that it's reasonible for a 17 year old to read about actuarial science over the summer holidays.

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    The official reading list:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/und...Department.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Work experience is worth **** all when it comes to LSE applications. Just focus on any maths competitions (if possible). Otherwise read around the subject and make sure you write an academic PS they dont care about your CV.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned already, work experience is not really worth anything to LSE applications, more to getting placements later on in life. What is important is your AS grades and GCSE's, and your personal statement has to be above standard

Just to clarity, OP, PS is for UCAS and uni's.....CV is for employers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    As mentioned already, work experience is not really worth anything to LSE applications, more to getting placements later on in life. What is important is your AS grades and GCSE's, and your personal statement has to be above standard

Just to clarity, OP, PS is for UCAS and uni's.....CV is for employers

I know what a CV and PS are for. All I'm saying is, I'f i've wrriten on my CV that I'm willing to work for free, how can I possibly expect to get any work experience?

But yeah, good to know what it's not that important. But considering I've got A*A*A*AAAAABBD (with the D being the schools fault, and me having a letter with my predicted grade of a B) and I'm just about expecting aaaa at AS and probably AAAa in year 13, I'm not sure that'll be enough. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Mariachi)
    Dunno, I'd beg to differ. I managed to get work as an assistant economist, and roughly a third of my PS was related to my work placement, and I got an offer.

I think it's more about how you can relate your work experience to the degree you've applied for, as opposed to just mentioning it.
    Maybe your other 2/3 were very good :p:

ReputationRep:
    just to say i got an offer n in my ps i only said work experience at an accountancy firm
    so try that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.