Turn on thread page Beta

Racism - Am i overacting? watch

ReputationRep:
    My black friend... one of my best mates sent me this 3 days ago and although i found it quite racist - I said nothing, Now i'm starting to think about it and it's starting to kinda bother me.. should i tell him i found this offensive and i am surprised a friend of mine would be into this type of comedy? I know it's comedy... but eeeh just..... meh.

Have a look for yourself? am i overacting..

watch the whole of it before you pass judgment, please.

ReputationRep:
    I find "racist" humour hilarious, I find all "stereotypical" humour hilarious. Found the video fairly funny, not worth watching though, not offensive at all. What's so bad about it? What offends you in that video?

If he had been all "damn honky, made us slaves, living in his caravan doing some mud-wrestling, he cant run, his wife hasnt got no boobs" then I could maybe understand, but this? Nope

ReputationRep:
    yes you are over reacting. there was nothing in that to suggest one race is better than another, just that they react differently in certain situations.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you are, people really need to relax with the term racist.

(Original post by rich2606)
    yes you are over reacting. there was nothing in that to suggest one race is better than another, just that they react differently in certain situations.
    which is racist when somebody says it about black people but not when its about white people

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't imply inferiority of any sort, but just makes fun of a stereotype, so I wouldn't consider it particularly racist

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the video and yes you are overreacting.

ReputationRep:
    The most offensive bit was his dancing.. because I have no rhythm like that as a white guy... lol

I don't find it racist, i just think it's stupid :confused:.
    While we're on the subject, why do black comedians always have to make jokes about race? I can't think of any that don't do it. In fact, I watched Lenny Henry at the Apollo the othre night, and his whole act pretty much centered around it. Don't they have anything else to go on? I'm not being 'racist', just honest, but a white person would not get away with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't find it racist, i just think it's stupid :confused:.
    While we're on the subject, why do black comedians always have to make jokes about race? I can't think of any that don't do it. In fact, I watched Lenny Henry at the Apollo the othre night, and his whole act pretty much centered around it. Don't they have anything else to go on? I'm not being 'racist', just honest, but a white person would not get away with that.
    Why the anon? Don't be afraid lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't really to my taste, but I didn't find it racist per se. He poked fun at white culture and black culture, and a lot of comedy is based around stereotypes in this way. If he was dealing with issues like class, gender and nationality would you have been so offended? If you've ever seen Bernard Manning's stand-up, now that's racist. This seems pretty inoffensive comparatively.

Edit - I'd also like to address the point that if a white man was making these sort of jokes he would be considered racist. This is true to an extent, which I think is a shame and a product of our non-offensive culture. But, bare in mind that Scottish comedians crack jokes about Scotland vs. England and northern comedians about the North vs. the South - black comedians like this man are just playing to their strengths, experiences and observations.

ReputationRep:
    dude, you are overreacting

ReputationRep:
    I think you are overreacting

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty funny, haha.

OP - chill the **** out, about everything

ReputationRep:
    Is this racist:
    http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...kzfndmpl86oAMl

ReputationRep:
    Ahh man. It's been too long since I've seen a Cedric clip.

ReputationRep:
    http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress....04/racism1.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pacman23)
    Is this racist:
    http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...kzfndmpl86oAMl
    LMFAO! **** me, that is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    RIP Cedric.
    He's not dead
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_the_Entertainer

ReputationRep:
    if that offended u, i cnt imagine how u would be like if u was East Asian! haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.