Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I feel so guilty for having made so many thread for selfish reasons so I will make this as quick and concise as possible and thank you for an answer.

Over the holidays I plan to bolster my personal statement by getting work experience so I can get into LSE f(or CASS or somewhere) or actuarial science. I've even written on my CV that I'm prepared to work for free just to gain work experience over the holidays. I've applied to several banks and only 2 have replied in the last 2 weeks, both declining. Now, considering I'm not exactly qualified for anything with only my GCSEs, is it likely ANY of the 15 or so i've applied to will accept me for any sort of work experience? If not, how am I possibley meant to get work experience if I can't even get a job working at something at least half-related to actuarial work for FREE?

As an aside, does anybody know any decent books that it's reasonible for a 17 year old to read about actuarial science over the summer holidays.

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Start worrying about work experience once you are at university. Universities don't care AT ALL about work experience.

ReputationRep:
    At this stage most people only get work experience through people they already know so your best bet is to think of anyone you or your parents know who work in finance. You dont have to know someone directly in finance, I knew someone who ran corporate team-building and knew a few actuaries through that. Its worth asking around. I found that unis didnt care about work experience but that it did help when applying for internships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Start worrying about work experience once you are at university. Universities don't care AT ALL about work experience.
    Too right! I did always wonder whether anyone actually reads your personal statement at all. It's not a CV / job application, just will you make a good contribution to the unversity.

I've heard that even fantastic grads can't get free work experience in this economic climate. You'll be lucky in graduating when things are better. You sound fantistically dedicated as it is. Remember that you "working for free" can actually be a pain to your host organisation who probably need to take someone out their normal work role (where they might otherwise charge clients £200 an hour) to find you jobs to do, show you how the systems work, etc. Then all this time they have invested is useless as you're only there for a few weeks and not even a final year student likely to return shortly for a full-time job.

I think it can also be more impressive in job interviews to say you spent a month leading a difficult volunteer project (say) than making tea in an office.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.