Turn on thread page Beta

-5.5 diopters Eyesight - What choice do I have? watch

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to fly in the RAF I wear contract lenses at the moment.

Can I not even fly in The Army?

I want to be an officer to be honest. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Poor eyesight isnt a bar to recruitment, there are plenty of other officers jobs you could apply for. Problem is trying to find a branch that is open! Most officers branches are closed. Best off going to your AFCO and asking which officers branches are open and which of those are suitable for you medically. My AFCO said it was some aptitude based jobs, med support, and regiment officer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toffeeblue)
    Poor eyesight isnt a bar to recruitment, there are plenty of other officers jobs you could apply for. Problem is trying to find a branch that is open! Most officers branches are closed. Best off going to your AFCO and asking which officers branches are open and which of those are suitable for you medically. My AFCO said it was some aptitude based jobs, med support, and regiment officer
    /Closed oh I thought nearly every position was open. Excuse my ignorance but after the recent spurt of deaths ya know...

Oh so sorry to ask again does that mean I am unlikely to be able to fly a fighter jet or bomber even with corrective surgery or wearing contacts?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Corrective surgery does not guarantee perfect eyesight, therefore not something to be done - there are also issues over long term after effects. You need near-perfect eyesight for Aircrew. Sounds like you are way off that. Suggest you go and do more research on Navy, Army and RAF websites before you ask more questions. Talking about 'recent spurt of deaths' doesn't excuse your ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    This is the requirements :
    http://www.aop.org.uk/uploaded_files/raf_nov06.pdf

So as far as military flying goes, its a no. Even for WSO yours eyes dont make the grade.

Excuse my ignorance but after the recent spurt of deaths ya know
    What a stupid thing to say, personally with that attitude I dont think any role in any of the forces is right for you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.