Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all- All year I've been geared towards doing Economics at university, however reality has crept into my judgement and I've realised I'm simply not good enough at maths.

Stumbled across this degree at the university of Bath and wondered what you guys think? - It doesn't sound as heavily mathematical and maths isn't mentioned in the entry requirements, any one have an opinion on how good the course is in terms of prospects?

Or should I just settle for standard politics? *cough* English or geography *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trefusis1234445)
    Hey all- All year I've been geared towards doing Economics at university, however reality has crept into my judgement and I've realised I'm simply not good enough at maths.

Stumbled across this degree at the university of Bath and wondered what you guys think? - It doesn't sound as heavily mathematical and maths isn't mentioned in the entry requirements, any one have an opinion on how good the course is in terms of prospects?

Or should I just settle for standard politics? *cough* English or geography *cough*
    It depends on one thing.

Is the course called 'politics and economics' or 'politics with economics'?

If its the latter then the maths content should be pretty minor and straight forward - and more on the politics and essay side. However, if its the 'politics and economics' then you would assume it to be involved with some mathematics - but it wont be anything complicated (especially due to the fact they dont ask for A-level maths).

What did you get in gcse maths? im sure you'll cope if you got atleast a B (although call the uni just incase and ask if they have any entry requirements subjetwise - and if they dont mention maths then the content is minor)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_qwerty)
    It depends on one thing.

Is the course called 'politics and economics' or 'politics with economics'?
    Ah good spot, it's actually Politics with economics. I Achieved grade B in GCSE Maths and an A in additional maths (seems a tad backward I know...)

So the economic aspect will be similar to the A level content?
    - also what do people think about the degree in general, and prospect wise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trefusis1234445)
    Ah good spot, it's actually Politics with economics. I Achieved grade B in GCSE Maths and an A in additional maths (seems a tad backward I know...)

So the economic aspect will be similar to the A level content?
    - also what do people think about the degree in general, and prospect wise?
    So its 'with economics' - that means the maths wont be complicated or daunting - alot of the foundations of the economics will have been covered in A-level eco - but of course expect to develop your knowledge on the stuff learnt at A-level etc.

Since the course is mostly politics, the economics part will be minor and its obvious it will look at the 'policies' and theoretical side of economics (which is related to politics) rather than the econometric and calculus side (which is more related to finance and maths).

As for career prospects....any economics degree is highly valued but this is largely a politics degree - something im not an expert on. Check out the site and see where their past graduates have ended up (there should be a section on that). The two subjects compliment each other well and its a good uni - so i'd assume they'd be decent.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.