Turn on thread page Beta

Sonia Sotomayor- Confirmation as Supreme Court Judge watch

ReputationRep:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS...yor/index.html

This,to me, confirms that the line between the Supreme Court being a judicial institution rather than a political one has practically disappeared.

This is nothing more than a vote winner. The woman is never going to vote conservatively on any issue. Obama has tapped into the largest emerging group of voters- Hispanics and has guaranteed their votes by appointing her to the SC.

This gives the democrats a liberal vote for at least another 30 odd years while she is on the bench.

The media hardly touched her like they did over Ginsburg. There was never any reason for her to withdraw like Miers did. The Senate, flooded with Democrats was never going to reject her.

I personally admire Obama and the "change" he has brought to the USA but i thought even he wouldn't appoint somebody to win votes and instead would nominate somebody credible.

-Congratulations to her though, she has done well for herself!"

ReputationRep:
    Good for her, however don't be blinded by Obama's smokescreen, he's not all he was perceived to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Good for her, however don't be blinded by Obama's smokescreen, he's not all he was perceived to be.
    True, i'm kinda bummed that he wasn't the messiah he made out to be! Just another politician!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taco23)
    True, i'm kinda bummed that he wasn't the messiah he made out to be! Just another politician!!
    He fooled a lot of people, it's a lesson in life, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Obama knows how to play politics. How is that a bad thing?

And its not as if he picked a rubbish candidate. Sotomayor is very accomplished.

ReputationRep:
    This,to me, confirms that the line between the Supreme Court being a judicial institution rather than a political one has practically disappeared.
    Well, the two are certainly far too closely linked. One of the few benefits of our parliamentary system is that you don't get any of this crap.

Don't you think you're perhaps overdoing the Scottish thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well, the two are certainly far too closely linked. One of the few benefits of our parliamentary system is that you don't get any of this crap.
    Well, not unless the Home Secretary Secretary of State for Justice feels like there's some political capital to be made out of it...

Notably Venables & Thompson under Howard and later Whiting under Blunkett.

ReputationRep:
    Agreeing with Karl Marx- there all from the same place so what's the point?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Don't you think you're perhaps overdoing the Scottish thing?
    I was waiting for someone to say that, but no, someone on this forum has to be patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    I was waiting for someone to say that, but no, someone on this forum has to be patriotic.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Why?
    I imagine it has something to do with pride.

ReputationRep:
    She's had her share of controversy I suppose, such as when she said something along the lines of "Old white men can not make decisions as good as wise latina women can"

And the media went fairly mad over her, just not in the UK. I got all of my news about her/American stuff from The Colbert Report and The Daily Show though, but they're ever so slightly skewed in favour of comedy XD

ReputationRep:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS...yor/index.html

This is nothing more than a vote winner. The woman is never going to vote conservatively on any issue. Obama has tapped into the largest emerging group of voters- Hispanics and has guaranteed their votes by appointing her to the SC.

This gives the democrats a liberal vote for at least another 30 odd years while she is on the bench.

The media hardly touched her like they did over Ginsburg. There was never any reason for her to withdraw like Miers did. The Senate, flooded with Democrats was never going to reject her.

I personally admire Obama and the "change" he has brought to the USA but i thought even he wouldn't appoint somebody to win votes and instead would nominate somebody credible.

-Congratulations to her though, she has done well for herself!"
    I think you are way off base with the comment you made about this guaranteeing the votes of hispanics. I think it's kind of offensive that you think every hispanic is going to vote in lockstep for Obama because of this appointment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.