Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice on how to solve harder(not necessarily in the knowledge of mathematics required- I've only covered a course in Algebra which had no group theory in it!) Linear Algebra/Algebra problems? I always find Algebra a fair bit more challenging than Analysis and I need all the help I can get with it!

As an example of what I mean, consider the following question:

Given square matrices A,B,C with A necessarily invertible, prove that if (A-B)C=BA^-1 then C(A-B)=A^-1 B.

I spent 4 and a half hours on this particular question and still didn't come up with the trick for solving it. Is there any particular way of getting better at these type of problems or is it just a lot of practice?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Right. Well, this has taken me about an hour to solve. Solution in spoiler below in steps. And, to be honest, I can't tell you anything about how I solved it; I just tried lots of things until it came out. I noticed that, when I expanded out the brackets of (A - B)C = BA^-1, I got something that looked kind-of-almost-factorisable, and products are easier to deal with than sums. So eventually I tried stuff and got there. I don't think there's anything easier than that.

Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Try and find a product that looks something like (A - B)C = BA^-1.

If you can't find it, here it is:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Consider (A - B)(A^-1 + C), which I've just pulled out of thin air.

Rest of solution:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is equal to I - BA^-1 - BC + AC. But if (A-B)C = BA^-1, then -BA^-1 - BC + AC = 0 (expand the brackets), and so (A - B)(A^-1 + C) = I. By a simple argument about rank/nullity, we must have that (A - B) and (A^-1 + C) have full rank, and so have inverses, and so are inverses of each other. So clearly (A^-1 + C)(A - B) = I, and expand that.

ReputationRep:
    please note that this was a problem set in this years IMC.

something ******** OP decided not to post. nice work though billeh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.