Turn on thread page Beta

What's the best advice you've recieved from your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    "Shut up and pull down your pants"
    huh?

ReputationRep:
    Probably about 7 years ago, a young actress on Holby City tragically died after falling from a 4 storey high balcony at a hotel or something similar. On the news report me and my father were watching it confirmed that she had a taken a high amount of drugs that night, which although may not have caused the fall, probably didn't help.

My dad then offered the following advice- "If you take drugs, make sure you are on the ground floor".

I thought it was a great piece of advice from a parent, as it showed that he is realistic enough that taking drugs was quite likely, and provided some guidence on how to enjoy the experience whilst reducing the chances of falling to my death.

ReputationRep:
    "Whoever you end up with in life, make sure they make you laugh."

ReputationRep:
    "If you're ever walking home at night and a man starts following you, go for the ********."

I love my dad.

ReputationRep:
    "If you don't fight for your rights, nobody else will."
    "Books are your friends, so treat them nicely." :p:
    "Question everything and never stop learning."
    "But you can relax. You are wonderful and intelligent, so relax, relax, relax." - this was advice given to me when I was stressing about something yet again.
    "Smile!" I have issues with smiling, heh.

ReputationRep:
    'it doesnt matter where you end up in life, what you end up doing, as long as you are happy, we're happy.' i loved hearing this, it was right when i was having a breakdown over my A Levels and it was SO what i needed them to say. <3
    & lots of stuff about how hating is a waste of time. as a result, i don't believe in hate. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_skater_jnoo_x)
    3. 'always smile when you're walking or your face muscles will change and leave you with a face like droopy when you're older' (now i constantly smile)
    this seems to be true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    my mum always says: If you ask, you might be a fool for five minutes. if you don't ask, you'll be a fool forever.
    (Original post by gumdrop)
    Be yourself. If someone doesn't like you for who you are then they're not worth knowing.
    good advices. gotta love our folks for their experience and wisdom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    Just walk away ie angey/sad/fight
    So what do you understand from this?

do something that makes you happy.
    A simple phrase that means so much doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    If someone hits you hit them back. Good sound advice.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. I don't talk to my parents, and I like it that way

ReputationRep:
    My dad once told me never to stab anyone with a pencil because the lead can break off under their skin.
    He also told me never to get glitter in my eyes, because it's horrible.

Two of the best pieces of advice, ever.

ReputationRep:
    From my Dad: "Don't pay much attention to what your Mum tells you"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    From my Dad: "Don't pay much attention to what your Mum tells you"
    My parents are like that about each other :p:

ReputationRep:
    'Don't become a teacher'.

ReputationRep:
    people's parents here say some ********

ReputationRep:
    My mom is not that really vocal in terms of advices compared to my dad but, they'll just show it to me and my siblings! it's amazing because if you have this weird connection to your parents they really don't have to tell you anything. In fact, you are the one to figure out to yourself to do things that you know that your parents would be proud of you and support you all the way.. right?

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot harder, and more intelligent, to find solutions to a problem than to pick holes in one.

ReputationRep:
    Not advice, but my Dad gave me the best comeback to a chat-up line, which sadly was said to him once...

If some guy says 'hey, wanna come back to mine?' you can reply 'I wouldn't come back to yours if the world was flooded with piss and you lived in a treehouse...'

ReputationRep:
    "There's no such thing as a free lunch" or some ********.

(Original post by Bezzler)
    "I before e except after c"
    I see what u did thar :ahee:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.