Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are break days (from your diet) beneficial? Watch

ReputationRep:
    *I did a search and couldn't find a thread addressing this*

For ages I've been told that when dieting it's good to take one day off a week. Since your body gets accustomed to the lower amount of calories you are feeding it on a diet your metabolism slows down...and so supposedly taking a break day (eating more than you do when dieting) will throw your body a curve ball and boost your metabolism. Is this true?

I honestly hate eating a lot/junk food and so I find "break days" an annoying concept...but if it's going to boost my metabolism then I'm down:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Break days are more for sanity purposes, I would say. You don't have to eat a lot of junk food, just have some good food that you otherwise restrict yourself from for the rest of the week. (I know grammar has gone to **** there, but I'm too tired to care).

ReputationRep:
    yes. you should take break days.

ReputationRep:
    Yes break days are good but I don't see the point if you don't want them. I watch what I eat but always have a blowout or two at the weekend and as long as I'm back on track on Monday I don't gain weight. But I see it more as 'getting away' with having a treat than a deliberate ploy to frighten my metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    You should really be taking two days out per week of your cutting following a plateau in weight loss. But this doesn't mean to eat whatever you want in whatever amount, it means eat at your BMR i.e. don't go over it and don't go under it.

ReputationRep:
    your metabolism isn't going to change overnight

the only "off-day" being beneficial is whereby you are low-carbing, like say 60g/day for 2 weeks

then you have a re-feed day which serves to refill glycogen stores mostly

then you go back

otherwise, stick to dieting at all times, with 1-2 cheat meals not days a week for sanity [if need be]

ReputationRep:
    It's a good idea if you're carb-cycling and don't come off the rails (just eat more of the same stuff).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.