Turn on thread page Beta

Universities close courses to UK pupils watch

ReputationRep:
    LEADING universities have closed their doors to well-qualified British applicants while recruiting heavily from overseas candidates paying up to £15,000 a year.
    Institutions including Bristol, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey are exploiting a government policy which puts no restrictions on the lucrative international student market, while imposing strict caps on British numbers.
    More:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6788739.ece

They found their wives unable to obtain hospital beds in childbirth, their children unable to obtain school places, their homes and neighbourhoods changed beyond recognition, their plans and prospects for the future defeated.

An exerpt from Enoch Powell's 1968 'Rivers of blood' speech.

Only Western nations view their own demographic and cultural eclipse as a moral imperative.

ReputationRep:
    interesting!

ReputationRep:
    How is it a shock that capitalist institutions like universities in a capitalist society like England's choose more money over less money? Either decrease foreign students' fees or ban foreign students (and become global pariahs). Enoch Powell's quotes about hospitals and schools are, frankly, irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    no sarcasm intended btw. i just didnt think of this sort of thing happening really.

ReputationRep:
    What is it that makes Enoch Powell's quote relevant?

It is interesting but people most realise the universities want as much money as they can get.

ReputationRep:
    :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a surprise, given the fees that internationals pay.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really a surprise? The fat cats at the top of society with their lavish mansions, city apartments, and stretch limos, obviously care far more about their money than they do their own country. Individualism is a grotesque, selfish, ignorant ideal. You can have an individual identity, but commitment to other societal hierarchical structures (the family, the region, the nation-state) should exist. Indeed, factory workers' jobs are being sold out as fast as possible to Mr. Kowalski from Poland, and we're seeing exactly the same thing with university places. Sure, I have no opposition to the best foreign minds coming over here and contributing to the intellectual scene; but to place a quota on British admissions is an absurdity almost beyond belief, requiring probably the most colossal nerve to put into action.

ReputationRep:
    People like money. That's not news.

ReputationRep:
    This has been well know for a while and personally i think there should be a cap on international students rather than UK/EU students, but that's not going to happen, and if it did I expect the universities would demand a hefty raise in tuition fees.

However OP, by quoting Enoch Powell you seem to have made the mistake of thinking that this is about the government and universities caring more about foreign students and cultural diversity when it's really just about M-O-N-E-Y.

ReputationRep:
    This is partly due to the government not putting enough money into the universities so they have to bring in more overseas students (who pay far more) to have the needed cash.

ReputationRep:
    3 letters... LSE... Old news they've been doing it for years now, it's only a level playing ground when we pay the same price, I.e masters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kickflip)

Only Western nations view their own demographic and cultural eclipse as a moral imperative.
    And what does the state have to do with university admissions?

and cultural what?

ReputationRep:
    i knw... like on my friends... who came here 2years ago and lives with his family here who hve been only here for 3 years so they r nt british citizens yet... he was predicted ABB at year 12 for aeronotical engineering at surrey, but ended up getting BCD and still managed to get into surrey because he was an international student and had to pay 10,000 per year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    3 letters... LSE... Old news they've been doing it for years now, it's only a level playing ground when we pay the same price, I.e masters
    We do!?

*Feels ripped off*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    What is it that makes Enoch Powell's quote relevant?

It is interesting but people most realise the universities want as much money as they can get.
    Agreed. The OP doesn't seem to realise the difference between international students and immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    Only way to solve this is to make UK students pay £15,000 too.

Or make international students pay less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Is it really a surprise? The fat cats at the top of society with their lavish mansions, city apartments, and stretch limos, obviously care far more about their money than they do their own country. Individualism is a grotesque, selfish, ignorant ideal. You can have an individual identity, but commitment to other societal hierarchical structures (the family, the region, the nation-state) should exist. Indeed, factory workers' jobs are being sold out as fast as possible to Mr. Kowalski from Poland, and we're seeing exactly the same thing with university places. Sure, I have no opposition to the best foreign minds coming over here and contributing to the intellectual scene; but to place a quota on British admissions is an absurdity almost beyond belief, requiring probably the most colossal nerve to put into action.
    Shudder at some of that, just shudder

ReputationRep:
    It's unsurprising but it's also worrying for the UK's students/prospective students in a time when competition on all fronts is at its fiercest. Money talks but our own businesses and industries will feel the pinch of this increasing focus on selecting purely rich foreign students for top university places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    And what does the state have to do with university admissions?

and cultural what?
    Universities are part of the education system; they are heavily subsided by the tax-payer. Like any other public service they are subject to political and cultural shifts, and the emphasis on widening participation is Labour policy. Universities are severely underfunded, and the problem with international students is even worse at postgraduate level, where there is even less public money, which is why the fees are a lot higher, and there is no public funding system. I believe 40% of postgraduate students are international.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.