Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Universities close courses to UK pupils Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    I'm not really sure we can make such a clear-cut distinction between education and research, to me it seems your just playing at semantics. Research is an activity that goes on at Universities, but not for undergraduates who make up the largest section of Universities population.

And even if we do suppose that research is the primary function of universities, who's interests, in the end, is this research for? Do we want a state of affairs where a large proportion of students come here, do their PHD's and then return to their home countries, resulting in their value being felt abroad?

And as I have already mentioned Universities are not 'capitalist', they are public institutions.
    To be honest, though, we're damned if we stay and we're damned if we leave. If we stay, we're taking British jobs away from British citizens; if we leave, we're the ingrateful foreigners not repaying a system that has been to our benefit. Truth is that universities everywhere in the world are flooded with foreigners (almost entirely because of money). I know Britain has special concerns when it comes to (over)immigration, but I don't think the prevalence of foreigners at British universities is a particular concern...at least not yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seffrican)
    To be honest, though, we're damned if we stay and we're damned if we leave. If we stay, we're taking British jobs away from British citizens; if we leave, we're the ingrateful foreigners not repaying a system that has been to our benefit. Truth is that universities everywhere in the world are flooded with foreigners (almost entirely because of money). I know Britain has special concerns when it comes to (over)immigration, but I don't think the prevalence of foreigners at British universities is a particular concern...at least not yet.
    You make a good point - Universities by their nature as environments of learning has always had an open attitude to foreigners and have taken in foreign students as long as they have existed.

To me it seems a case that common sense should prevail here, and if we go back to the OP's original comment:

LEADING universities have closed their doors to well-qualified British applicants while recruiting heavily from overseas candidates paying up to £15,000 a year.
    It seems to me that British students have a legitimate cause for grievance when Universities are turning them away deliberately in favor of foreign students, regardless of how academically qualified they are, they might rightly be asking where is Tony Blairs
    "Education, Education, Education" now...

ReputationRep:
    greed as usual

ReputationRep:
    Either raise taxes or higher tuition fees to replace foreign students. I would rather have foreign students paying for me to have a good education at university then myself having bigger debt or paying higher taxes when older.

So I don't see the problem.

Also, I doubt the statistics. Certainly, for maths and computer science only 28 out of all students who applied to do that got rejected from all five choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    3 letters... LSE... Old news they've been doing it for years now, it's only a level playing ground when we pay the same price, I.e masters
    I fancied my chances far more as a UK student than one from elsewhere. LSE have admitted they could fill their courses several dozen times over with more qualified Chinese, Singaporean, Indian etc students if they so wanted to. The same applies to any of the top 10-15 really.

I don't even know why this is a surprise to anyone. UK unis (being public and all) don't recieve all that much money. There are also lots more universities now, with many of the ex-polys having a more pressing need for financial assistance than some of the top ones (due to outdated facilities/bursaries for poorer students). Increasing the quota of foreign students slightly is understandable. Compare the endowments of Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE with Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Columbia etc. We should be happy none are actually going private (aside from the annual threats from Oxford).

The examples that article uses is also a bit silly. A prosepctive dentistry student with AAAB getting four rejections.. not exactly newsworthy, happens to hundreds of people every cycle.

ReputationRep:
    You make a good point - Universities by their nature as environments of learning has always had an open attitude to foreigners and have taken in foreign students as long as they have existed.

To me it seems a case that common sense should prevail here, and if we go back to the OP's original comment:

It seems to me that British students have a legitimate cause for grievance when Universities are turning them away deliberately in favor of foreign students, regardless of how academically qualified they are, they might rightly be asking where is Tony Blairs
    "Education, Education, Education" now...
    When has the OP ever shown common sense?

Anyway, at the end of the day they only make 10% of the total number. So I don't see the big problem. Also, in the article it said she was predicted AAA, however thats just predicted grades.

Again, 10%.

(Original post by ninety_nine)
    The examples that article uses is also a bit silly. A prosepctive dentistry student with AAAB getting four rejections.. not exactly newsworthy, happens to hundreds of people every cycle.
    By Nyein Chan
    The story of Divya Pathak, in this article, who allegedly got rejected from all the dental school she got rejected is nothing to do with increasing number of foreign students and foreign students had no role in it (for other courses, yes they affect home students' chances of getting a place). In Dentistry and Medicine, and the Vet, there is a "quota" limit on foreign students and the number of places available to them are usually less than 10 % of the total places available on these places. For example, at UCL if there are 260 places, then for international students, it would be in the region of 26-32 places available at its Medical School.
    I wonder if that is true. It wouldn't be hard to check if UCL does that. But, I doubt you can blame foreign students for that.

ReputationRep:
    Good. For me.

P.S. UK/EU students don't pay enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Good. For me.

P.S. UK/EU students don't pay enough
    Contentious. Plus since when do you have a valid say on how much UK/EU students should pay to go to their universities?

ReputationRep:
    Contentious. Plus since when do you have a valid say on how much UK/EU students should pay to go to their universities?
    Silence is for the dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seffrican)
    How is it a shock that capitalist institutions like universities in a capitalist society like England's choose more money over less money? Either decrease foreign students' fees or ban foreign students (and become global pariahs). Enoch Powell's quotes about hospitals and schools are, frankly, irrelevant.
    Registered charities owned by the state. If the Government like to give the impression that university is a passport to work so that people on here cream themselves over employers, then increasing participation by non-British students, who return to their home country upon graduation, then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Silence is for the dead.
    Meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    Meaningless.
    Silence tends to be meaningless. SO I prefer to speak.

ReputationRep:
    Since he is a taxpayer, and thus has to subsidise the deficit, presumably?

When universities are privatised, they can and should charge what they want to who they want.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I skipped over the except you inserted from Rivers of Blood but I do agree there is a serious problem.

British university places for British students. The situation is getting out of control and do you know why? Because universities act almost completely free of government intervention - as hegemonic arbiters in the fate of university admissions.

Why should a British student have to sit in their classes with a disproportionate ratio of British to international students? What is the point of even applying for certain courses when they are almosty certainly going to be over subscribed and filled by people who aren't even from this country, contribute little but financial supplements to society and culture?

ReputationRep:
    What foreign group is the largest (ie Americans, Chinese, Singaporeans, and Indians, etc) attending British universities? Those students pay through the nose in comprison to the British and EU students. the Home student should pay more maybe like 5,000 pounds not 3,125 pounds and people could not afford 5,000 pounds could scholarships or help from the government if they needed it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry soon our universities will be so crap that foreign students won't want to come here to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahm8justhavina****)
    Don't worry soon our universities will be so crap that foreign students won't want to come here to study.
    yada yada yada

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.