Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to university and not coming back home Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else here thinking of same thing, going away to uni and never going back home to see or contact your family again, but starting a new life all together. If this is the case why have you made this decision.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not me. I hate washing clothes

ReputationRep:
    What would you do in the holidays? If I was going to do that, I'd at least wait another three years. It makes economic sense!

ReputationRep:
    I've already told my mother that if I get into uni this year, I'm never coming back home to live If I can help it. There's a whole world out there waiting for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herzblut)
    I've already told my mother that if I get into uni this year, I'm never coming back home to live If I can help it. There's a whole world out there waiting for me.
    Even during the holidays? You'd be really bored because everyone else would have gone home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeksandtherest)
    Is anyone else here thinking of same thing, going away to uni and never going back home to see or contact your family again, but starting a new life all together. If this is the case why have you made this decision.
    why would you feel the need to do that?

ReputationRep:
    Would you not miss going home and being at home?

ReputationRep:
    at home stuff is free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Even during the holidays? You'd be really bored because everyone else would have gone home.
    No I mean like going back to live permanently after graduating university. I'll be going back during holidays of course.

(Original post by jase951)
    Would you not miss going home and being at home?
    Well yeah, but I know my mum will always welcome me home to visit, but I really want to live on my own. It's not like I'll never see my family again. I'm actually hoping to leave the UK after doing my degree [ language major hopeful]

ReputationRep:
    No I mean like going back to live permanently after graduating university. I'll be going back during holidays of course
    Ah, I see. Well lots of people do that, the way you'd worded your post implied you weren't going to live at home except for brief visits.

ReputationRep:
    Im going home, but never to live permanently again.

Its best to get experience out on your own, you dont want to still be there at 25 or 30:O

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure thats something you can really decide until you get there and see how much you like it... alot of my friends are currently saying that they'll never want to come home and see family etc. but im sure as soon as theyve spent a couple of weeks in halls they'll be bored of doing the cooking and washing and will secretly be a tad homesick and head off home for a weekend or so.

ReputationRep:
    Im working more on the idea as soon as I get a full-time job I'll move out permanently, mainly as it doesn't seem to make sense for me to live away if I can't afford to do so.

We'll see what happens next summer. Im remaining optimistic I'll get my postgrad nhs clinical science scholarship, which is a guaranteed job for three years .

Just don't forget that going to Uni is the same as moving out full stop. Most Uni halls don't let you stay there over Xmas and Easter, plus there's probs going to be a summer layover between finishing you stint in halls (normally end of May/start of June) and starting you tenancy (normally 1st Sept).

ReputationRep:
    Same here. I'll visit but I'm not staying. I've got a private houseshare so holidays-wise I'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds appealing. I probably will stay live away from home forever, and visit my family occasionally because they won't be THAT far away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeksandtherest)
    I know some people who've done this, the most common reason is because of family problems. I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you have to, but if you have to then it is doable.

ReputationRep:
    I moved out completely when I started university, yes, and cut off all contact with my family after finishing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hula129)
    Im not sure thats something you can really decide until you get there and see how much you like it... alot of my friends are currently saying that they'll never want to come home and see family etc. but im sure as soon as theyve spent a couple of weeks in halls they'll be bored of doing the cooking and washing and will secretly be a tad homesick and head off home for a weekend or so.
    I'm the only one I know saying that I know someone who says she wants to go home every weekend, I can't understand that at all! I'm almost certainly just going home in the holidays - I've been waiting for 5years to leave Birmingham, I'm not coming back unless I have to! And I've never been homesick in my life, so I'm fairly sure it'll just be holiday visits for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainluss)
    Im going home, but never to live permanently again.

Its best to get experience out on your own, you dont want to still be there at 25 or 30:O
    Easier said than done for a lot of people in the current economic climate, sadly.

Don't burn bridges guys

ReputationRep:
    As said, you'll get a better idea when your there. Some people only go home for holidays, some go home every weekend. Everyones different :P, yes you may go with the intention of never coming back, but I'd say 9/10 end up going back home during the term.

I only know one person who didn't go home except for hols in the first year, and he had to get a plane home, so not really a viable option, most people went home every 3 weeks, and then about every six weeks (once part way through the winter term, at Xmas, at Easter and at the end of the year) last year.

You don't go to Uni to burn every link to your past, you go to work towards your future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.