Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Individual Planning Exercise watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I am starting to look at the Individual Planning Exercise part of OASC, What are the most important points that I should look at to be successful at OASC? In addition is there anywhere I can get examples to practice? If anybody who has already been to OASC and completed the Individual Planning Exercise, what the key to doing well?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would say luck!! lol. Seriously though, I hated this exercise and the group planning. It's very time restrictive - well, I found, maybe I had the wrong method or didn't practice enough. There is an example of one in the blue OASC book. I also have a .pdf of a load more, il upload it and post the lin kfor anyone who wants it. I found them very tough, and you have to think on your feet and adapt because whatever you say will be wrong!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mudmover)
    What are the most important points that I should look at to be successful at OASC?
    Use the search facility on this forum

In addition is there anywhere I can get examples to practice?

If anybody who has already been to OASC and completed the Individual Planning Exercise, what the key to doing well?

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owen27)
    I would say luck!! lol. Seriously though, I hated this exercise and the group planning. It's very time restrictive - well, I found, maybe I had the wrong method or didn't practice enough. There is an example of one in the blue OASC book. I also have a .pdf of a load more, il upload it and post the lin kfor anyone who wants it. I found them very tough, and you have to think on your feet and adapt because whatever you say will be wrong!
    That would be good, how did oasc go for you? what branches are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I have a bunch of .pdf practises as well, with solutions. I'll wait for Owen to upload first in case they are the same :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Sam, are the ones you have like the ones you get a OASC or is it just the methods you would look at and apply that to the ones at OASC?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confident about OASC, I thought I was going home after planning ex's, but no-one got cut! That was a confidence boost for the interview. I'm confident and hopeful. I've gone for ABM, ATC, had flight ops down but it's closed so no chance of that just yet lol! ABM all they way!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you did well Owen, hit me up on MSN sometime.

Mudmover, the exercises I have are similar to those you get at OASC. A total of 10 practise exercises, of which 7 have solutions in separate files.

ReputationRep:
    The key to the individual planning excercise is not to get flustered. I got my maths wrong and managed to get through. The impression I got was that they were more concerned to see how you react to pressure than it is a check of your ability to do speed distance time in a hurry. This is however just my interpretation, backed up by the evidence I was succesful even though i can't add up for toffee. I wasn't going for an aircrew or airtraffic job so that may hold some weight.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks this all helps.

ReputationRep:
    As H&R says, it's all about your reaction to stress; bonus if you can do the maths though! The Army do it slightly differently in that it's a group plan with an individual element and everything is done in front of the group - you may be asked on your plan or the group plan then quizzed. Or you may just get a load of maths! They're looking for the same thing however.

ReputationRep:
    dude, www.rumration.com

the royal marines forum. you'll be able to get to the army one from there too

ReputationRep:
    Haha, our group of 4 decided to split into 2 two's to tackle one route each - halving the time! Until the sqn ldr said 'by the way, only one person can talk at a time' - not fun!

ReputationRep:
    Hey owen, our group had the same idea and the sqn ldr said the same thing...great minds, lol.
    I did loads of practice ones that can be found at prep4oasc.com and found the actual ones a lot easier and generally not too bad providing you don't get flustered and can quickly adapt on questioning; they will throw in random things like "what happens if the bridge suddenly and unexpectedly falls into the river?" but you can just say anything like commandeer a boat from the nearbly port or summit like that, they are just trying to panic you.

Also, from the minute you sit down in the planning room, start writing down all the details you can like distances and where you are and what the time is because they almost certainly question you on random stuff but your allowed your notes in front of you so a quick glance can save you...

Anyways, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I found the Individual Planning really enjoyable...I managed to plan 2 solutions so when the sqn ldr started questioning and picking faults in my 1st solution I offered him the 2nd solution...Just stay calm and take a few seconds to think about what they are asking you...it's so much better than rushing an answer which makes no sense. and for anyone worried about calculations in the individual planning...all the maths is done for you which is a bonus make sure all of the notes you make are in order and legible...try and keep them in bullet point form as they look at your notes after the exercise

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.