Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford or Cambridge - which one would you choose given the choice? watch

• View Poll Results: Oxford or Cambridge?
    Oxford
    44.56%
    Cambridge
    55.44%

ReputationRep:
    I actually went to both but I'd pick Cambridge if I could only go to one. Yes, it's a smaller town, but it's also got a special atmosphere in my opinion. However, the clubs are lame and the queues too long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    oh thats easy,one word;Tolkien
    who the hell?!

Newton, Darwin....?

ReputationRep:
    I would choose Cambridge, I did (at the time) choose Cambridge. Don't actually know why tbh, other than that you have to change at New Street to get to Oxford from where I live which is a pain in the arse, and Oxford don't do single honours Phil, but then I might want to do joint honours... Cambridge is cooler anyway. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but I'd pick Oxford.

It's irrelevant anyway as I'd never have got in. I couldn't even TAKE enough advanced highers at my school to be in with a shout, never mind get As in them haha.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, its nearer home and my mum went there so we're an oxford family like supporting them in the boat race and stuff.

Can't comment on the courses, didn't bother looking cause I'd never have got in and it'd have annoyed me if the course looked amazing and I couldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge. It's a lovely town, everyone uses a bike. You're not allowed to get a job while at university there, and as a science-inclined person I see it as a better university for myself than Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, every year when the boat race comes on i root for them for no apparent reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Cambridge.
    Because Massachusetts is so nice.
    ha. this.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is a bigger city and Economics & Management just shouts employment, money and bonuses when you read it

(not literally lol)

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that makes one of them appeal to me more than the other is that Cambridge has the Footlights, so I'd choose Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford. It just sounds more impressive.

ReputationRep:
    cambridge cos it's smaller

ReputationRep:
    If I had to choose (cause I really wouldn't go to either - seriously, if they gave me a place I'd give it to someone else) I'd choose Cambridge because it's prettier and appears to be the best university for Archaeology.

ReputationRep:
    I made my choice! It was kind of hard for me since there's no real difference between the unis for the sorts of subjects I wanted to do, they're both equally good. I started off wanting to do English and German, which you can only study at Oxford, but then I changed my mind so Cambridge it was!

ReputationRep:
    Given the choice...Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, simply because I prefer the city, but probably a "more progressive" college, e.g. Keble, Wadham etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    You can't really call it a city... so yes I do mean the town.
    Yes you can. Size has never been a real measure of what counts as a city or not. Durham is an ancient city but has about 1/2 the population of (another ancient city, Oxford) and is rather small in area so does that make it a village? Does this mean they don't deserve the status of a city despite being important educational, religious and administrative centres for centuries? :p: But Manchester (a small town until the industrial and revolution) or Brighton come along and are somehow more deserving?

Even what you may think of as "proper" or major cities, like Newcastle, aren't always a great deal larger. Newcastle, although with twice the area, has only around 60k more people than Oxford does (this isn't included the wider council area and certainly not the whole of Tyneside which is like four or five times the size of Oxford :p: ). You may even consider Reading, quite a decent urban area, a city when it's not.

Sod that, Brighton's not a great example (unless you do count it as a city) as without Hove it's probably no larger than Oxford.

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Oxford 49 50.00%
    Cambridge 49 50.00%

Wow

ReputationRep:
    NO ******* WAY!

I honestly didn't check the poll when I voted for oxford there, bringing it up to exactly 50/50 with 100 votes.

What an amazing coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to go to either.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.