Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford or Cambridge - which one would you choose given the choice? Watch

• View Poll Results: Oxford or Cambridge?
    Oxford
    44.56%
    Cambridge
    55.44%

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge- I prefer the economics course to Oxford E&M

ReputationRep:
    Neither, I would (like I have) turn them both down and apply to places which I actually want to go to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    Oxford is a bigger city and Economics & Management just shouts employment, money and bonuses when you read it

(not literally lol)
    Right now it shouts "credit crunch victim" more than anything else...

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is great but some of the courses just seem to be a little bit more rigourous at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketTown)
    i'd pick Cam beacuse its a nicer town.... but why do people bang on about oxford and cambridge so much on TSR?

Kids who are obsessed with school and exams who for some reason think oxbridge is the end of the world and all other universities are a waste of time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    If you were intelligent enough be in a position to place Oxford or Cambridge on your UCAS form, which one would you choose and why? Also, please vote in the poll.
    Why do you care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Oxford.
    The courses are better for me.

Also, I prefer more colleges' architecture at Oxford compared to Cambridge.
    Manchester Grammar School eh? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Manchester Grammar School eh? :beard:
    Ooooh I know a few people at MGS - I used to live in Mancs and went to primary school there, so some of my old friends are there now. I'm only really still in touch with one though.

Cambridge. I dunno, it appealed more to me than Oxford, however I'd gladly go to either of them. But personally, if I had to make the choice it would be Cam - it has everything!

ReputationRep:
    Oxford PPE:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:
    I would no way be good enough to get in though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, tough one. I prefer Oxford as a place: I loved the atmosphere, the town and how it's fairly close to London. Cambridge didn't seem as welcoming and I wasn't as keen on the town, but I much prefer their Languages course. Probably Cambridge as ultimately the course is the most important thing to me, but there's not much in it really.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, because they're epic at all the courses I might do, and I really like the place

ReputationRep:
    I chose Cambridge because they offered the course that I wanted. Because I never studied History at A-Level I couldn't take my desired course at Oxford (History and Politics).

On saying that I now prefer the Cambridge course I applied for SPS/PPS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    oh thats easy,one word;Tolkien
    care to elaborate? cos that may change my decision lol

ReputationRep:
    PPE :coma:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Oxford's clearly better :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    It's like being which testicle you'd rather keep if you had to lose one of them. If I really really had to choose - Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    oxford. their e&m course is better for me than cambridge economics and cambridge is too much of a boring little village

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge because the Arch&Anth course looks :coma:

Although, the surrounding area looks pretty rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge- for Science and Engineering. Although, I would consider Imperial wholeheartedly too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.