Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford or Cambridge - which one would you choose given the choice? Watch

• View Poll Results: Oxford or Cambridge?
    Oxford
    44.56%
    Cambridge
    55.44%

ReputationRep:
    I think there both fairly level-pegg'ed to be honest. But i seem to like Cambridge more, i dont know why .. just seems more of a 'nicer' place, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford because of the course I want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klenodie)
    Cambridge, because I like the Natsci course a lot.
    you like the nazi course?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Cambs.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Oxford because of the course I want to do

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose Cambridge - it's a nice town and I prefer their English course.

ReputationRep:
    I just prefer Oxford. I'm not sure why. Just an instinctive preference

ReputationRep:
    I chose Oxford. I've just always found it more appealing. I also liked the fact you get to stay there for a few days at interview and it just seemed friendlier to me for some reason. Also nobody seems to gets in to Cambridge from my school but the odd person does to Oxford. Of those that applied to Cambridge this year none got in, of those that applied to Oxford 50% did.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford. It suits my course and the town & people are so lovely. Add the beautiful architecture and it's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I am applying to do a taught masters at Oxford but I have absolutely no interest in Cambridge. I cannot give a reasonable account for this either.

I think Cambridge have excelled in particular fields but it has been detrimental to their own academic superiority, and goes some way to explaining why Oxford almost always beats them in national league tables - but not international ones. Oxford seems to carry more cultural significance; it is more prestigious and popular - at least that is the perception.
    Poll says no.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge.

It may be that Oxford has greenery and space in places (Christ Church Meadow) to match Cambridge (Jesus College, for instance, has a large expanse of greenery). But the way that Cambridge is landscaped in a much less urban-feeling setting makes its surroundings seem more complementary to its colleges. Cambridge feels more regal- punting along The Backs you see beautifully kept lawns, bridges and college grounds and the Cambridge architecture is generally superior in my opinion.

Oxford seems to be very polarised between very rough and ready pubs and bars and very 'up market' restaurants- and apparently it always has been but it's not harmonious to me- it's all about cloistering yourself off from other groups of people.

To be honest, though, I reckon that probably more nice, clever, rounded people go to Durham.
    It's a bit like whether you want to stay at The Ritz or whether you want to go to a trendy little hotel that not as many people know about, certainly worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge...just because it's my (all be it quite small) city!

ReputationRep:
    For Maths/Physics/Comp Science Cambridge is definitely the place. It always ranks top in the relevant leagues and Oxford or Imperial vie for second. In those fields it is the only place in the UK that can really match the very best US schools.

ReputationRep:
    Can I be greedy and say both :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Oxford; prefer the course I would do.

TBH though, I wouldn't choose either - I'm not just saying that because I'm no way near intelligent enough to get in, they just aren't ''me'' at all.
    This. The people/general area at Oxbridge aren't my cup of tea.

I used to live in Cambridge, so I know its too boring for me! and not much to do ...

ReputationRep:
    Oxford. Just so I can sneak into All Souls College and pretend I'm a research fellow. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, because they always win the boat race.

(Original post by chernij)
    Cambridge. It's a lovely town, everyone uses a bike. You're not allowed to get a job while at university there, and as a science-inclined person I see it as a better university for myself than Oxford.
    The first two points are exactly the same as Oxford, so I don't see why you use them to distinguish between the two :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Yes you can. Size has never been a real measure of what counts as a city or not. Durham is an ancient city but has about 1/2 the population of (another ancient city, Oxford) and is rather small in area so does that make it a village? Does this mean they don't deserve the status of a city despite being important educational, religious and administrative centres for centuries? :p: But Manchester (a small town until the industrial and revolution) or Brighton come along and are somehow more deserving?

Even what you may think of as "proper" or major cities, like Newcastle, aren't always a great deal larger. Newcastle, although with twice the area, has only around 60k more people than Oxford does (this isn't included the wider council area and certainly not the whole of Tyneside which is like four or five times the size of Oxford :p: ). You may even consider Reading, quite a decent urban area, a city when it's not.

Sod that, Brighton's not a great example (unless you do count it as a city) as without Hove it's probably no larger than Oxford.

:sigh:

Can I ask did you realise that I was referring to Cambridge, not Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know!!!!

I am in love with the colleges at Cambridge, its all dull and crap and then bang there is Trinity College, the most beautiful college there is ever (and Selwyn and the others)! In terms of looks Oxford is definitely second but I want to do English and I prefer the Oxford course.

In the end will probably end up choosing Oxford over Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.