Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford or Cambridge - which one would you choose given the choice? Watch

• View Poll Results: Oxford or Cambridge?
    Oxford
    44.56%
    Cambridge
    55.44%

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for neither, since as far as I know neither offer the course I want to do XD So even if I COULD get in, I wouldn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :rofl:

Like that's representative of "perceived cultural superiority"!
    It is far more representative than a poll on website.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge for NatSci

ReputationRep:
    Well in answer to my own question (admin: if I'm not allowed to answer my own question, then I apologise in advance) it has to be Cambridge.

I play several musical instruments and the music department at Cambridge is generally considered to be better than Oxford's. Plus, Christmas just would not be Christmas without Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College which is watched by millions all over the world every Christmas Eve.

Does Oxford hold a similar annual event that is watched and admired by millions all over the world? - No.

Also, Cambridge seems to have more connections with Royalty for example, Prince Phillip is the Chancellor of Cambridge whereas Oxford have Chris Pattern as their Chancellor. Also, Trinity College Cambridge has generally been the academic institution of choice of the Royal Family - King Edward VII, King George VI, Prince Henry of Gloucester, Prince William of Gloucester and Edinburgh and Prince Charles were all undergraduates.

So for me, Cambridge beats Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    Also, Cambridge seems to have more connections with Royalty for example, Prince Phillip is the Chancellor of Cambridge whereas Oxford have Chris Pattern as their Chancellor. Also, Trinity College Cambridge has generally been the academic institution of choice of the Royal Family - King Edward VII, King George VI, Prince Henry of Gloucester, Prince William of Gloucester and Edinburgh and Prince Charles were all undergraduates.
    You feel that's important...why?

ReputationRep:
    cambridge, because I visited the place and it was georgous, and it seems more sciencey to me. I don't know why, but I aways think of cambridge as the sciencey one and oxford as the artsy one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    You feel that's important...why?
    I'm obsessed with prestige (Yes, I know it's shallow).

ReputationRep:
    Jesus/Selwyn, Cambridge are so much nicer than most other Oxbridge colleges in my opinion.
    But if the choice is based on degree course too, it has to be Oxford, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chioco)
    cambridge, because I visited the place and it was georgous, and it seems more sciencey to me. I don't know why, but I aways think of cambridge as the sciencey one and oxford as the artsy one.
    Hehe, apparently this is a normal thing to think!
    For some reason, I just don't associate either University with any particular subject and don't happen to think either is better than the other.
    Are there data to back up Cantab's better performance in sciences?

ReputationRep:
    I'm obsessed with prestige.
    I wouldn't have guessed, honestly.

So Cambridge has more prestige because, in your opinion, it has more Royal connections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chioco)
    Yes but Oxford's reputation for the arts these days is mainly based on them having the more famous (although not older) debating society, dictionary and more prolific (although not older) press and for a larger worldwide fame (not amongst UK students or even necessarily amongst much of the public, where Oxford and Cambridge go together in the same sentence like fish and chips).

The league tables say that, apart from politics, Cambridge tends to be at least the equal of Oxford in the arts these days for undergraduate study. Cambridge lead the way for literary criticism and has lead the way in philosophy at times.

Can Oxford say the same for the sciences? (To be fair, it will probably be harder to catch up quickly in the sciences than it is in the arts).

ReputationRep:
    Well in answer to my own question (admin: if I'm not allowed to answer my own question, then I apologise in advance) it has to be Cambridge.

I play several musical instruments and the music department at Cambridge is generally considered to be better than Oxford's. Plus, Christmas just would not be Christmas without Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College which is watched by millions all over the world every Christmas Eve.

Does Oxford hold a similar annual event that is watched and admired by millions all over the world? - No.

So for me, Cambridge beats Oxford.
    No, you're perfectly entitled to answer your own question and give your opinion- we encourage it and you gave a perfectly reasonable and valid response, people do think where royalty attend is important, and if music is your thing, then so be it. Just don't use other accounts to do it- it can potentially deceive and mislead.

I think you might find this article interesting: http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoo...ust-views.html

Note this bit: "is perhaps that students make a very arbitrary choice in choosing to apply to one place or another, and afterwards defend it to the hilt, like children defending their own dysfunctional families." I couldn't have put it better myself.

Personally, as a historian, I think the resources at Oxford are better. I wasn't a massive fan of the Cambridge library- its badly organised, lacks wifi and study space, and has one room of computers. You have to take everything in and out in a clear plastic bag and it shuts at obscene hours- which isn't great for access to the manuscripts. While the Bodley isn't brilliant in many of these respects either, I've found it to be better than Cambridge- and at least it has the excuse of being genuinely old- or at least much older than Cambridge's building. I'd not begrudge anyone for picking one over the other though- its purely personal choice and they're both fantastic.

All that said, my graduate accomodation is here: http://www.panoramicearth.com/1386/O...Holywell_Manor, therefore Oxford is clearly better. So there. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I wouldn't have guessed, honestly.

Ha, ha!!!! Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!!!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    No, you're perfectly entitled to answer your own question and give your opinion- we encourage it and you gave a perfectly reasonable and valid response, people do think where royalty attend is important, and if music is your thing, then so be it. Just don't use other accounts to do it- it can potentially deceive and mislead.

I think you might find this article interesting: http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoo...ust-views.html

Note this bit: "is perhaps that students make a very arbitrary choice in choosing to apply to one place or another, and afterwards defend it to the hilt, like children defending their own dysfunctional families." I couldn't have put it better myself.

Personally, as a historian, I think the resources at Oxford are better. I wasn't a massive fan of the Cambridge library- its badly organised, lacks wifi and study space, and has one room of computers. You have to take everything in and out in a clear plastic bag and it shuts at obscene hours- which isn't great for access to the manuscripts. While the Bodley isn't brilliant in many of these respects either, I've found it to be better than Cambridge- and at least it has the excuse of being genuinely old- or at least much older than Cambridge's building. I'd not begrudge anyone for picking one over the other though- its purely personal choice and they're both fantastic.

All that said, my graduate accomodation is here: http://www.panoramicearth.com/1386/O...Holywell_Manor, therefore Oxford is clearly better. So there. :p:
    Thank you for your reply. It's nice not to argue with you for once. I hope this can continue.

ReputationRep:
    CAMBRIDGE because i like the sound of it...

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge.

Having been to Oxford, I didn't like the town as much as I did in Cambridge.
    Perhaps I'm biased though because I went to Cambridge before my exams and Oxford after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Oxford

:awesome:
    :rofl:

Yeah baby! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. It's nice not to argue with you for once. I hope this can continue.
    Not a problem- I don't go looking for arguments either if I can help it. Personally, although people associate the Royals with prestige, none of them thus far have been anything special academically, and undoubtedly got in because of their connections rather than grades, so I don't think its important. But, I guess it didn't stop St Andrews recording a quadrupling of applications in the last decade and an A-Level jump from BBC in 1999 to AAB in 2009 (and I doubt its a much better university than it was for decades beforehand), but if people have convinced themselves they'll be happy there, and think a university's connection to royalty what they want from their education, then good luck to them I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Cambridge, yeah.

Reasons:
    It comes before Oxford alphabetically
    It's quicker to get to London and my parents'
    It's less expensive to get to London and my parents'
    The course was better for me
    My college scarf was pink
    There are more willow trees in Cambridge

Okay, so only three of those were legit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.