Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford or Cambridge - which one would you choose given the choice? watch

• View Poll Results: Oxford or Cambridge?
    Oxford
    44.56%
    Cambridge
    55.44%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    If you were intelligent enough be in a position to place Oxford or Cambridge on your UCAS form, which one would you choose and why? Also, please vote in the poll.
    Depends on the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waheyyyy)
    Oxford, because they always win the boat race.

The first two points are exactly the same as Oxford, so I don't see why you use them to distinguish between the two :confused:
    Because I've only been to Cambridge.
    I suppose it's more the last point I made, anyway
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lafin23)
    Not that you have a vested interest in this one or anything...
    :eyeball:

Excuse me? That was my completely unbiased opinion! :rolleyes: :ninja:

(Original post by nuodai)
    Oxford

:awesome:
    :eek: You've seen the light! *cue Handel's 'Hallelujah' chorus*

(Original post by T. Hereford)
    I play several musical instruments and the music department at Cambridge is generally considered to be better than Oxford's. Plus, Christmas just would not be Christmas without Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College which is watched by millions all over the world every Christmas Eve.
    I never knew you were a budding muso :musicus:

This is the second time I've heard on TSR that Cambridge's Faculty is better than mine. Can I ask why you think it's considered to be better? I've never heard a reason (let alone a half-decent one ) why anyone thinks this :nah:

Have to agree with you about the King's service, though :yes:

(Original post by Ziffachan)
    Cambridge because it seems to have a kind of magic that Oxford doesn't
    We had Phillip Pullman, Tolkein and bits of the Harry Potter movie. How much more magic do you want?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)

All that said, my graduate accomodation is here: http://www.panoramicearth.com/1386/O...Holywell_Manor, therefore Oxford is clearly better. So there. :p:
    What was that event you had at Holywell Manor about a month ago where it looked like the whole garden was just smothered in fluorescent light? Some kind of 70s disco garden party?

ReputationRep:
    All that said, my graduate accomodation is here: http://www.panoramicearth.com/1386/O...Holywell_Manor, therefore Oxford is clearly better. So there. :p:
    Oh my... that is beautiful :eek:

I want to live there haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    What was that event you had at Holywell Manor about a month ago where it looked like the whole garden was just smothered in fluorescent light? Some kind of 70s disco garden party?
    Ummm, the Balliol MCR Garden Party I'm guessing? It was sometime towards the end of June I think. I'm not entirely sure, it was the only event around that time, so probably. I don't actually move into Holywell for another eight weeks- but it probably was that.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge because I love the town, and the buildings - and the entire atmosphere

ReputationRep:
    Oxford without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Manchester Grammar School eh? :beard:
    Indeed

ReputationRep:
    tbh, I thought the majority would vote for Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindath)
    tbh, I thought the majority would vote for Oxford.
    I wonder if the A*AA thing has had any bearing on the prestige whores? As mentioned in that link further up the thread to the times article, most people really have no preference, but pick one then defend it to the hilt afterwards- I suppose I'm the same. The reason I picked Oxford was mainly for scholarship reasons, the library differences are minimal at best- although before I'd got round to applying for either and having researched at both I'd formed the opinion that I didn't like Cambridge's library a great deal. Both are undoubtedly world class, and while (as is the case with every university) they'll be marginally stronger or weaker than their rivals in certain areas, it's not really enough draw any conclusions. I guessed the poll would be close- 45-55% is nothing much really.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if the A*AA thing has had any bearing on the prestige whores? As mentioned in that link further up the thread to the times article, most people really have no preference, but pick one then defend it to the hilt afterwards- I suppose I'm the same. The reason I picked Oxford was mainly for scholarship reasons, the library differences are minimal at best- although before I'd got round to applying for either and having researched at both I'd formed the opinion that I didn't like Cambridge's library a great deal. Both are undoubtedly world class, and while (as is the case with every university) they'll be marginally stronger or weaker than their rivals in certain areas, it's not really enough draw any conclusions. I guessed the poll would be close- 45-55% is nothing much really.
    I guess both universities have a lot in common, and sometimes even the course can't give the final argument for/against one.
    World ranking shouldn't matter that much, they're both at the top.

I'm not different, either- (though I haven't studied History in Oxford :rolleyes: ) there's no academical justfication for picking Cambridge over Oxford, they both teach History, and both are pretty good at it.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford.
    I'm planning to go to Brookes...so this seems most logical

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge of course. Just look at the maths and science there. Plus i've heard it's a nicer town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    Cambridge of course. Just look at the maths and science there. Plus i've heard it's a nicer town.
    The stereotypes aren't necessarily true, as this year Oxford is ranked #1 for Maths, yet Cambridge is ranked #1 for English (according to the Times) - the opposite to what is commonly regarded. And before someone screams 'omgg league tables r *****' I'm just using it as an example.

ReputationRep:
    The stereotypes aren't necessarily true, as this year Oxford is ranked #1 for Maths, yet Cambridge is ranked #1 for English (according to the Times) - the opposite to what is commonly regarded. And before someone screams 'omgg league tables r *****' I'm just using it as an example.
    Yet that is a valid point :p:

Take our subject; in 07 LSE was top, 08 Cambridge, 09 Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illy123)
    Yet that is a valid point :p:

Take our subject; in 07 LSE was top
    I guess it has changed a lot since then

Good University Guide 2010
    Economics

1 Oxford
    2 Cambridge
    3 London School of Economics
    4 University College London
    5 Warwick
    6 Exeter
    7 Durham
    8 St Andrews
    9 Nottingham
    10 Birmingham
    11 Bristol
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by graffic)
    haha some people are taking this "rivalry" far too seriously.

And apparently Oxford is full of "snobs" and "posh kids". Well If this is true and I manage to get into Oxford the chip on my shoulder is going to turn into a wedge. Either that or I turn into a snob myself. I think getting into Oxford or Cambridge (understandably) gives you an ego boost and a false sense of superiority.
    There are one or two snobs but you'll find snobs at all the other top unis/departments too. The interview process tends to filter out the worst ones.

As for posh kids, that depends on the definition of posh. If you mean upper class, again there are only a few :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you're wrong. Cambridge is considered to be a lot better for maths than Oxford. I did a maths degree at Warwick after I failed to get into Oxford. Over the years I've seen a lot of comparison between the courses and it's generally considered that Cambridge is the best place to study maths at undergraduate level in the country. At postgraduate level Cambridge part III is unstoppable. (you said it yourself, don't trust league tables!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    I guess it has changed a lot since then

Good University Guide 2010
    Economics

1 Oxford
    2 Cambridge
    3 London School of Economics
    4 University College London
    5 Warwick
    6 Exeter
    7 Durham
    8 St Andrews
    9 Nottingham
    10 Birmingham
    11 Bristol
    Exactly; their lack of consistency belittles their ranking. How can they alternate between LSE, Oxford, Cambridge each year.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.